cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow download speed

nittygritty
Grafter

slow download speed

as i was told by plusnet if you turn your router off and on (when pc not in use), your speeds drop as the exchange thinks theres a problem?
yet the funny thing is, i was with sky unlimited a few months back and i turned my router off when pc was not in use, and i constantly got normal speeds of around 13-17mb? with plusnet currently i,m only getting about 3.5mb which considering what i had before and what my line can support below
Estimated line speed:20Mb (This may vary between 19.5Mb and 21.5Mb) - Checked on 2013-03-05 09:48:49Current line speed: 4 Mb
is dreadful
someone is wrong i guess, because if the statement above was true, then the speeds i had with sky would not have been constant as i did the same thing with sky as i do now with plusnet (turn router off n on when pc not in use)
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: slow download speed

You are not taking into account the different systems
With Sky you were on LLU where the noise margin was effectively fixed and there was no DLM (Dynamic Line Management) at the exchange
You are now on a BTw line where the DLM is quite capable of seeing the disconnections as instability. It will then automatically increase the default noise margin (so lower speeds) and if that doesn't seem to fix it it will then apply a banded profile which can really cripple your speeds
nittygritty
Grafter

thanks for reply,
just one more question, i asked for my interleaving to be turned off, they replied with yes it as, but my pings are still slightly on the high side,
is there a way to check in my router settings page that says if its off or on using 192.168.1.254 ? to log in
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If you are getting FEC errors, then it is on; if there are no FEC errors, but there are other errors, then it is off Smiley
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.