cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

significant drop in download speed, upload unchanged

easty

significant drop in download speed, upload unchanged

Hi,
Upgraded to plusnet pro in december, since when I've had ~4.5Mb down consistently, 443kb up.  End of last week download speeds fell to < 100kb down.  Here is current router stats -- which changed slightly for the better yesterday, but not by much.
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 574 kbps 443 kbps
Line Attenuation 36.0 db 20.2 db
Noise Margin 31.0 db 28.1 db
and speed test results.
I have router connected to master socket with filter and 1 other phone in separate extension also with a filter.
Any thoughts?
Thanks....
18 REPLIES 18
reflexion
Dabbler

Re: significant drop in download speed, upload unchanged

I'm getting the same on other PN lines at a customers - one line from 18:00 to 22:00 grinds to a halt and since monday at another site the speed is all over the place. These lines are with bonded with Sharedband and they balance the lines every 15 mins to get the speed tests. 2 other line at each site with BE do not move? PN are struggling with bandwidth or doing some funny shaping as Sharedband should bypass there traffic management.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Resync the router and report the stats immediately after.
I suspect you had a massive burst of noise on the line causing a very low resync. The noise has gone so the noise margin has leapt up
Are you sure you don't have 448kbps up
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Connection Speed   574 kbps   443 kbps

That's why your results on a speedtest are so low, that figure is the speed your router is syncing at with the exchange.
The noise margin is incredibly high on your line, have you made any changes to the electrical wiring or added new appliances in your premises?
Your connection looks extremely intermittent and appears to be dropping out quite frequently, this will be the cause of the low speeds you're seeing. Can you try swapping the filters over and seeing if the line remains stable, it would be worth temporarily removing whatever is plugged into the other extension while performing this test.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Reading the above post - can you try plugging the router into the test socket with only one phone attached report the stats and see if it stabilises
easty

Oldjim -- will resync tonight and report stats immediately after.  Copy/pasted the stats from the router page, so confident in 443 as up.  My master socket is old and unfortunately doesn't have the test socket.
Chris -- aware it's the connection speed that's the problem.  Previously router was syncing at much higher rates -- 7000+ downstream.  Have not made any electrical changes.  Will try 1) removing the other phone and resyncing, and 2) with phone removed swapping filters.  Is the 31.0 db  28.1 db down/up noise margin considered very high?  What should I be expecting.
will post update tonight.
Thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

about 6 - 9dB downstream noise margin and sync speeds over 7000kbps
easty

Okay -- I disconnected the phone and filter from one extension -- so there is nothing else connected to any socket in the house.
Swapped this filter with the one from the router.  Reconnected to the master socket and resync'd.
Results are much the same:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 574 kbps 443 kbps
Line Attenuation 36.0 db 20.2 db
Noise Margin 30.2 db 27.7 db
any thoughts on next steps?  many thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Report a speed fault
Hopefully a rep will pick this up as something is completely wrong.
If you were on 21CN I'd say it was a banded profile
easty

thanks.  Will do -- will post back when I get the answer.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Perhaps the user is on 21CN. Have you received any emails about being switched to 21CN (or do you have service notices to that effect in Member Centre)?
A downstream sync speed of 574kbps is just inside the upper limit of the 288-576kbps band, and an upstream sync of 443kbps, just under the normal 448kbps fits often seen 21CN behaviour.
David
easty

I understood when i upgrade to plusnet pro I would be upgraded to ADSL2+, so yes.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Moving to ADSL2 board
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Did you suffer frequent disconnections shortly before your download speed dropped? Perhaps caused by adverse weather conditions (thunderstorm, lots of rain)? Almost certainly you are on one of the lower-speed banded profile, the DLM taking this action to try to stabilise your line. Given time (perhaps 14 days) it should remove that banding if it sees your line no longer needs it, but it is a long time to wait.
Hopefully the faults team will be able to help resolve the problem in response to your fault ticket.
David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

[quote=spraxyt]A downstream sync speed of 574kbps is just inside the upper limit of the 288-576kbps band, and an upstream sync of 443kbps, just under the normal 448kbps fits often seen 21CN behaviour.
This is spot on, checking for a banded profile gives the following: WBC 288K - 576K Medium delay
Looking at the recent connection logs, you've had a large number of disconnections recently, have you been rebooting the router alot (and I mean 58 times in the last week)?
If not then it would mean something is causing this intermittent connection and your speed isn't going to improve until the intermittent connection is fixed. I'll update your ticket (sorry it's a standard response with some questions to make sure we get the answers needed).
If you can let me know when the questions have been replied to we'll get the fault tested again and raised straight away.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.