cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I change ?

Woofersmummy

should I change ?

I've been with Plusnet, initially with Madasafish since 2012.

Currently have plusnet unlimited on a rolling monthly contract.

I normally do the line rental saver yearly so works out at £27.49.. I have free weekend and evening calls

My line rental is up for renewal. 

I had a quick look around as to what else is on offer both with PN and others, a quick check on U switch doing their speed test using wifi, showed Download of 6.16 and upload of 0.8 mb. We are approx 0.5 miles from the exchange.

is what I'm on best option? I'm not very tech savvy lol

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: should I change ?

@Woofersmummy

Put your phone number in the following and see what it says. If you can post a screen image of the results (hiding your phone number) we can explain what's available.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Cost wise you would most likely be best in a contract.  To get a deal from Plusnet you'd need to call 0800 432 0200 and select the "I'm thinking of leaving" option (option 3 I think it is).

As for speed, it's not too often that you would get too much of a difference between ISPs using the same technology.  It sounds like you are on an adsl2+ connection, so would likely see similar speeds with most ISPs on one of the adsl packages.  If you feel you need something faster (and it is available to you), you could upgrade to a fibre connection which would cost more, and would usually give you faster speeds.  That would depend on the green cabinet that your line goes through being enabled for fibre and then your speed would depend on your distance to that.  If you are thinking about that, then if you post back I'm sure someone will help you get an idea of if its available and how much faster it would be.

Edit: @bmc, beat me to it.  That's what I was talking about for seeing if fibre is available and at what speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Woofersmummy,

Thanks for getting in touch. I've checked and fibre broadband is available in your area with speeds of up to 80mbps. I would recommend fibre if you use your broadband for things that use a lot of data and/or rely on a stable connection - e.g. gaming, streaming, downloading - or if you use your broadband across multiple devices at the same time.

In terms of your package, as you're on a rolling monthly contract at the moment you won't be receiving any discounts or special offers on your broadband. If you'd be happy to be tied into a new contract, our customer options team should be able to offer you a discount on your broadband for the duration of the contract.

I'd recommend that you speak to our customer options team as they can discuss the different package options with you and can help you to decide which would be most suitable for your needs, and they can also let you know what offers we would be able to do if you were to commit to a new contract with us.

Our customer options team's direct number is 0800 013 2632. There's currently no wait to speak to them, and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Woofersmummy

thanks all,  bmc,  ok these are the results :

Tags (1)
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Woofersmummy

I'm assuming you're on ADSL given your reported speed (for information, speed tests are always best done over a wired connection as WiFi can have local interference).

The results are showing that FTTC is available and that very good speeds are available. On a good line you'd get between 71 to 78 download.

So if you want faster speeds you have a choice of "up to 38" or "up to 78"

So you need to decide what speed you want (you could be happy with what you've got) and then look at prices.

Brian