cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: router

Problem with that router is just that, it's only a router and didn't include an ADSL modem which is what you need Sad
Where did you get it from, maybe you can exchange for one that you do need.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
gayngayn1970
Dabbler

im lost dont understand, the man i got it off said this NETGEAR WIRELESS G CABLE ROUTER"
Model: WGR614 v9
FOR LAPTOPS & DESKTOPS
FLASHED (RESET) TO WORK WITH ANY CABLE OR DSL MODEM CONNECTIONS
UPGRADED TO LATEST FIRMWARE!
FULL WORKING ORDER
SINGLE ANTENNA
COMPLETE WITH:
A/C POWER ADAPTOR (12V 1A Provided) (£3.00 Discount, If Not Required + £1.00 Postage (£4.00 Total))
ETHERNET CABLE (50p Discount, If Not Required)
FOR EXTRA ETHERNET CABLES PLEASE ADD £1.00 EACH
SURPLUS TO REQUIREMENTS
BARGAIN PRICE FOR A QUICK SALE!
Made By NETGEAR
Excellent Condition. Latest Firmware.
I Can provide Some Support In Setup, If required.

Is there anything i can do to connect to the internet via this router x
gayngayn1970
Dabbler

i have an old speedtouch modem can that be connected or anything????
dvorak

is it a speedtouch adsl modem? does it have an ethernet port?
If so then yes you can use that Smiley
Customer / Moderator
gayngayn1970
Dabbler

thanks for the quick reply its a thomson speedtouch 330 thomson telecom it has a USB light on the top and a ASDL light on the top?? what do i do?Huh
dvorak

so close again, but yet so far Sad
it has a USB port and you'd need an ethernet port to use that with your router I'm afraid.
Customer / Moderator
gayngayn1970
Dabbler

im stumped then, any other ideas that involve the router that ive got?Huh
gyre
Grafter

Bin it.  Get a Netgear DG834Gv4 or GT from e-bay for 10 quid and use that in dumb modem mode with your router.
-- gyre --
WWWombat
Grafter

Hi gayngayn1970,
When we connect to the internet, the piece of kit in the house needs to usually fill 2 jobs.
- One is to act like an ADSL modem, converting data into the high-frequencies needed to go over BT's line.
- The other is to act like a router, choosing what data that  the modem has to send. In the case of a LAN router, it takes data off the ethernet LAN and decides whether to send that onwards to the internet.
The Dlink was probably both components built into one box.
The WGR614 is only the router, and has no ADSL modem component. From the description ("CABLE ROUTER") it is mainly intended to work with Virgin Media, where the cable box is their equivalent to an ADSL modem. It *can* be used on a BT ADSL connection, but only in conjunction with a separate ADSL modem.
The Thomson 330 is an ADSL modem, but doesn't have a router , nor a way to connect to one (or to any kind of ethernet LAN). Instead it connects to a single computer directly using USB, and it is up to that PC to decide what data to send, using drivers you must install. This pretty much restricts you to a Windows PC.
Your options right now, without buying any more boxes:
- Get the username sorted out on the Dlink (or is that now dead?)
- Plug the Speedtouch 330 into a PC using the USB cable, and install the appropriate drivers. Its a long time since I've seen one of these running, but it isn't too hard.
In that last option, if you want other computers to connect to the internet, then you would need to configure "internet sharing" on the PC that is now directly connected to the internet.
If instead you want to get your internet connection working in a way that lets you connect via Ethernet LAN (or wireless) then you will need to buy another box - either to add to what you've got, or to replace it.
- If you want to keep the WGR614, then you need a standalone ADSL modem that doesn't already have a router component. This would need an ethernet connection used for direct connection to the WGR614 router (ie not for connection to a LAN). An example would be the Netgear DM111P.
- If you want to start again, then buy an "ADSL modem + router" combination, which is the standard way most people go nowadays, remembering to get one with the right wireless component if that is important to you. An example would be the Netgear DG834G (which include the Wireless component too), but there are many others.
- One way of doing the latter is to take up Jojo's offer of taking PlusNet's modem+router - which will be the Thomson Speedtouch 585 (Described as a "Wireless ADSL Router")
If you do want to get your own single-box solution, it is key you look for an "ADSL router" or "Wireless ADSL router", and NOT a "cable router" nor "ADSL modem".
Take a look at the product categories offered by this site: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/, and their descriptions. You can see that they have a category for
- ADSL Ethernet Modems, as standalone ADSL modems without router
- Broadband Routers, as standalone routers without a modem, primarily aimed as cable routers
- ADSL routers, as combined ADSL modems and routers
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI gayngayn1970,
just checked your account and we sent you a router out last week. Have you not received it yet?
Jojo Smiley
gayngayn1970
Dabbler

ive taken jojo up on the offer of a new router that i need, hopefully it will arrive soon would like to thank you all for the replies on here, its a great way for helping people, thankyou all so much for trying to help me, i will add on here as soon as im up and ruinning fully thanks again gaynor
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Gaynor,
Thanks for your time. I've dispatched another router now. Please allow 2-3 working days for receipt.
Jojo Smiley
gayngayn1970
Dabbler

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO THANK JOJO !!!!!  she is a shiny star and a credit to plusnet !!!!! .
I AM NOW CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET Cheesy Smiley Grin  I AM SO HAPPY,  PLUSNET : I LOVE YOU XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
JOJO;  IF YOURE EVER IN ELLESMERE PORT WILL BUY YOU A DRINK AT THE LOCAL XX
dvorak

Glad it's sorted out for you Smiley
Customer / Moderator
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No trouble Gaynor, it was a pleasure to help.
Just a note to anyone watching this thread I managed to get the old speedtouch USB going until the one I sent arrives.
Jojo Smiley