cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router works with WiFi but not ethernet

bennyh

router works with WiFi but not ethernet

Hi, I have a strange problem whereby my wireless internet connection works fine, but the wired doesn't.
It's the technicolor router, and Plusnet sent me a different one to try as they couldn't resolve the problem over the phone.
These are the symptoms:
1. No internet at the browser, or a warning triangle on the network indicator in the system tray. Sometimes no warning triangle and network and sharing centre indicates connection to the internet, but still nothing possible at the browser.
2. Logging in as admin and reinstalling the (same) network adapter drivers fixes the problem, usually until next boot, but this is not entirely predictable. Sometimes it fails at resume from hibernation (I think).
3. The problem is present whether I plug into the router direct or via a Homeplug network (which has worked fine with my laptop)
Things I've done to figure out where the problem is:
1. Connected my other PC (laptop) to the same wire. No problems. Also have internet access at my TV, it's fine, so I surmise there is a PC problem.
2. Various browsers, settings, troubleshooters, reboots of router, PC etc.
3. Fitted a new network card and latest drivers to exclude MoBo ethernet adaptor problems. Disabled the MoBo ethernet.
4. Reinstalled windows (today) with fresh 32 bit install. I was previously using 64 bit and wondered if this might be a factor.
5. Contacted my ISP for help - they couldn't find a fault.
6. Plugged in a wireless dongle - internet worked. Don't really want to rely on Wifi though.
I've published the tests I've run to try and make a diagnosis here:  http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/network-adapter-issues-768586.html
I wonder if anyone else has this problem. It's doing my head in. Would a third party router solve it? Technicolor firmware?
Cheers
Ben
5 REPLIES 5
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: router works with WiFi but not ethernet

Looking at the forum you linked to is seems that the problem is caused by the spurious 0.0.0.0 gateway,
As a test, try typing 'route delete 0.0.0.0' and see if that fixes the problem for a bit.
See this entry about Apple Bonjour causing this...
bennyh

thanks for the reply. Tried that but to no avail. Interestingly both my PC and Laptop are having problems connecting via ethernet, so I suspect the router is the culprit. Any other ideas?
steveuk
Grafter

It's just a thought and it might not be the problem at all but can you go into control panel and internet options.
Once the box is loaded can you then click on the connections tab at the top.
On the connections page at the bottom is a lan setting tab can you click that and on the next page can you make sure the top box is ticked and all other boxes are unticked.
Just woundering if somehow them settings got changed to use a proxy and if they did this might explain why its not working over lan.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: bennyh
Tried that but to no avail.

Do you still have a gateway of 0.0.0.0 showing in the result of ipconfig?  You may need to run a command window as administrator before issuing the route delete command.
A workaround may be to set your PC IP address manually rather than via DHCP
bennyh

Thanks a million Pwatson! I discovered Apple Bonjour lurking in my registry....deleted it (using advice from a web search) and tadaaaa! Fixed! Very happy again now.
CHeers
Ben