Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router synch speeds

chri5hill
Grafter

Re: router synch speeds

Hi,
Have been running routerstats for the last hour to check my SNR which has been constantly up and down(min 7dB and max 12dB).I don't know if this can be expected or it should be at a steady rate?.My line Attenuation is 51dB and sync speed is 1664 kbps.
cheers
chris
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It should only have a 1dB fluctuation (peak to trough) with a drift downwards at dusk
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi,
Jim,Does this mean there is a specific problem or could it be any one of many?and if so should i raise a ticket with plusnet to see if there is a line fault
cheers
chris
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It could be one of many unfortunately.
Did you see the same fluctuations when plugged into thetest socket with no phones attached
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: chri5hill
don't know if this can be expected

It's abnormal, and as noted earlier your speed is lower than it should be.
Can you get the tone graphs out of RS and post them?
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi,
here are my stats
cheers chris
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Can you hear any crackling or other intermittent noises on your phone line?
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi,
My line seems quite clear and i cant hear anything unusual.would it be time to raise a fault with plusnet?
cheers
chris
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi,
Have had my router and only my router plugged into the test socket on the BT plate.Have hardwired the computer to it via ethernet cable and these are the results i am getting from my netgear dg834g.
ADSL Link                Downstream        Upstream
Connection Speed      1440 kbps      448 kbps
Line Attenuation            49 db            14.5 db
Noise Margin                  12 db            22 db
Now reading upon different threads on here and via the responses i have had on my own thread this doesn't seem that good a speed and i have been roughly getting these kind of sync speeds since i joined plusnet(about 3 months).I am at a loss of which avenue to follow now?Any ideas guys?
Thanks for the help so far
Chris
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not good! Any chance of you borrowing a known good router & filter from a friend to rule out problems with those?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi,
Have just checked by plugging in another router which gives exactly the same sync which is now at 1600 kbps with a line attentuation of 50db and noise margin of 12db.I tested this straight into the test socket with a filter and into my new xte-2005 faceplate and it gives exactly the same result bar a few kbps on the sync(nothing to write home about).Logged this with plusnet yesterday who have said there doesnt seem to be any problem with my line.Did a online BT fault test last night which said they couldnt find a fault with my line.Just feel that i should be getting a better sync than what i am getting!.I know my router (Netgear DG834G)is very good at holding the line with low noise margin(had it on 1 or 2 db before with my old ISP) so would this be the next thing to ask plusnet to alter as i seem to have exhausted all ideas my end???
WWWombat
Grafter

I have a different thread about disconnection problems my parents are experiencing - Hull telephones, 46db line, large fluctuations in the noise margin, and a DG834 v3 modem.
On that thread I listed the things I did to get both a better noise margin and reduce the size of the fluctuations.
It sounds like you've done most of the same kind of investigations, but I discovered one extra thing that may help you - that you can get the "bit allocation" values out of the v3 modem (at least with the v4.1.40 firmware). These values might tell you if you've got interference, and at what frequencies.
One post on the thread tells you where to get the data, and includes a graph I made of the data. There's another graph further down that shows how the modem has adapted over 30 hours or so.
It takes a bit of fiddling to get the data into the spreadsheet, but as neither RouterStats or DMT will work with this router, you're left with only manual methods. I've heard that another tool may work, but I haven't investigated yet. It can be found at http://blog.orbmu2k.de/tools/orbmt-modem-tool-sidebar-gadget and http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=26.
The author of RouterStats also posted a link to some graphs to highlight the difference in behaviour between his old v3 modem, and a v4 modem (with the Broadcom chipset). Seems to be a significant difference there too: http://vwlowen.co.uk/temp/snr.htm
Mike
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Discord
Grafter

Stick my two pennies in here from an interest point of view as I'm not particularily technically minded - although I'm having to learn fast!  I don't have a solution by the way - just another story!
I've been having exactly the same problems - same router, same line stats (51db and snr of 12).  I too get fluctuating syncs - one day 700, another 2500.  Even recently 2900 - got really excited about that but it was short lived.  I usually therefore see my profile at around the 750kbps -1mg mark.  Really frustrating.
The difference here though is that I've been using Routerstats and DG Teams firmware to "play" with my router and I also don't see such fluctuations in my snr as you.  I tended to get sudden losses of sync even if just before hand my snr is nice and level.  I have to say that using DG Teams firmware hasn't helped - tried running at 80-90% of target snr and I get slight increases in sync but still loose my connection.  Routerstats has been great from the perspective that I can monitor when I'm losing sync but I still haven't been able to identify the cause - more on that in a mo...
What I did discover was that some of the losses of sync were actually just problems with my wireless.  This shoulda been kinda obvious to me really as when I lost sync I'd disable and re-enable my network only to find my stats exactly as they were.  I've since updated my motherboards wireless drivers which seems to have helped that issue. 
But.. still seeing resyncs.  I've been leaving my computer on for days (hate doing that) and find that at random times I get a loss of sync - 1 or 2 times a day I'd say. 
eg:-    last night was synced at 2700, 51db and snr of 12.  Been nice and steady like that for more than a day.  Get home from work today and noticed that at 12:17 my snr had dropped to -1 recovered to 12 but with a sync of 1100.  At 12:42 the snr shot up to 20, stayed there until 18:00 when it then lost sync.  I manually rebooted and back at 2400, 51,12.  (wish I knew how to insert an image!!!)
No one in the house at the time of the problem so no interefence from any other equipment and no phone calls rec's at the time off the loss so not my phone.  To be honest I have tried running every single piece of equipment in the house at the same time and this still doesnt effect my stats.  I therefore am also at the end of my tether and guess that unless I keep pulling my hair out and rebooting I will just have to live with a 1mg line.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@Discord
It seems you have an intermittent sync fault, but one that could be quite time-consuming to locate and fix.
It is important to eliminate problems with your own internal wiring first by checking the behaviour if you connect through a filter to the test socket behind the face-plate on your master socket (assuming it is the NTE5 type). This is illustrated and additional advice given in the My Broadband Doesn't Work! Plusnet blog.
Let us know if this eliminates disconnections.
To attach images to your posts, click the Additional Options text below the textbox you type into and use the Browse button to locate the image. This will be uploaded with your text when you click Post (use more attachments if you want to attach more than one file).
David
Discord
Grafter

Thanks for the image tip!
I do already use a filtered face plate with connector 3 removed.  As an experiment I've used DG Teams firmware to force the SNR to 50% of target.  So far so good.  Really stable stats since 10pm.  But I know it won't last.  Even if it does and my IP profile goes back up (currently only 750 kpbs) I know at some point it will go pop.  Like you said - it's indetifying why and when thats the challenge.
Telnet stats:
Noise Margin:    9.6  dB
Connection Rate:  2944  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 56.0  dB
Power:            17.9  dBm
Max Rate:        3232  Kbps

SF:              3155614
SF Errors:        177
Reed Solomon:    107290896
RS Corrected:    16833
RS Un-Corrected:  918
HEC:              118