cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router not delivered, can I buy one in a shop instead?

FIXED
Chiki

router not delivered, can I buy one in a shop instead?

Just moved house and was told by two different customer service representatives that I didn’t need to bring my old router as a new one would be posted out before the line was connected. Two more reps said my old one would work, it doesn’t. After an hour on the phone and 2 weeks with no service, I found out the line had been connected on Wednesday (never received a set up date so I was actually calling to try to cancel) but due to an error the router wasn’t sent out. Now have to wait 3-5 days for one but really need WiFi for to work as the area I’m in has no phone coverage. Can I buy one in a shop instead?

3 REPLIES 3
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: router not delivered, can I buy one in a shop instead?

Yes, you can is the short answer.  I can't find the set-up instructions at the moment, but I'm sure someone will be along with a link to the correct page.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Fix

You have posted this on the standard ADSL broadband board. The only time that a previously supplied Plusnet  router will not work is if you've upgraded during the move from standard broadband to Fibre. If this is not the case then if your old router isn't working then there's a problem with the service so buying a different router would be a waste of money.

If you have upgraded to fibre then you need a VDSL or combined ADSL/VDSL router/modem which you can buy and set up using the instructions that you will find here.  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/. Note that whilst Plusnet say 3-5 days delivery on a router they are sent out first class post so delivery can be quite quick.

One final point, don't shout too loud about needing it for work or you may be reminded that you could well be breaking the terms and conditions applicable to the Plusnet residential service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

haywardsteve26

Yes you can , The best ones seem to be the TP-Link brand which work with both the old style copper and the new fibre used by Plusnet.

I had this same problem a few months ago when my Plusnet router got lost in the post system but on calling support they talked me through how to set up my old router to use fibre and now I have a massive increase in speed and data throughput.

TP-Link routers can be brought from PC World and Amazon so just get one for BT connection and you should be OK