cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router LAN speed ? is it 1 gig ?

timmytoad
Grafter

router LAN speed ? is it 1 gig ?

hi all, i am currently with NTL, they gave me a new router/modem recently the LAN is slower than my old router, what is the speed of the LAN on Plus Nets Router/Modem ?
tim
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: router LAN speed ? is it 1 gig ?

The standard router is a Thomson 585v8 and it isn't a gigabit router
timmytoad
Grafter

Ok thanks buddy, i was thinking if it was 1gb LAN it would give me a reason for moving from NTL    Wink
tim
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Buy your own router
I thought you had moved to Plusnet in August http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,98019.msg829258.html
timmytoad
Grafter

Well spotted that man  Wink  yes i did sign up with Plus Net and i almost had the BT man round to install the phone line, just before this i had a call from BT asking me about moving my phone number from NTL to BT (i had already understood that Plus Net couldn't actually guarantee that, as result i had explicitly said don't do it anyway), so when BT phoned about moving my number from NTL, i then phoned up NTL who then VERY EASILY knocked £7 off of my monthly bill TO STAY !.
When i had got connected up with PLUS NET, i was quite prepared to have a month of having both NTL and PlusNet services available to me, to make sure that my PlusNet service was up to expectations, before i left NTL, i wasn't bothered about the phone number as it would have been a good way to avoid the illicit phone calls i had been getting.
Phew, did you follow all that buddy ?.  Right from the beginning i had been thinking that BT might have a problem with my old unused BT line where it goes into the house, i think it got attacked by a timmytoad powered spade many many years ago etc. etc. having the BT engineer come to install PlusNet was going to be the easiest way, i thought, of finding out if it was damaged.
However as it turned out with £7 knocked off my NTL bill i didn't need to go with plus net and i got all my money back paid for the BT mans visit etc.
And then i got myself a 1gig Network drive Network and a  1gig LAN router to go with my old NTL router, shortly afterwards my NTL internet was very intermittent so NTL fitted a new Router combined with a Modem (making my 1 gig router redundant !) and then i found out that the new NTL Router/Modem WAS NOT 1gig LAN  !!!!! so for now i have solved the lack of speed problem by connecting the Network drive direct to my Lap Top with 1gig ethernet socket !.
goodness i got a bit carried away with all that eh  Smiley    and for some reason i haven't been getting the unwanted phone calls either
tim
jim:quote]
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That sounds like you got a really good deal - shows what a bit of competition will do  Grin Grin Grin
timmytoad
Grafter

Hi OldJim, i did come out of it OK  Smiley
Sorry you had to EDIT some of my previous post, i didn't realise i had said ANYTHING out of place ?.
Tim
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Only quoted the post above completely.
Don't let it bother you - we have a short cut to put the comment in - saves loads of typing  Roll_eyes
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I see comments all over internet forums where people are looking for a gigabit broadband modem/router.
Given that the broadband (and wireless) connection is way slower than that almost everyone can get a more cost-effective and flexible solution by just adding a cheap gigabit switch to the existing router.
timmytoad
Grafter

Fair comment buddy, i did successfully disable the wireless section (by holding the button in for 10 seconds) of my NTL Router/Modem and connected my 1gig Lan router to the Router/Modem and it worked OK, using the wireless section as well, so in effect it was just like a SWITCH, but the "experts" did tell me it wasn't really the correct thing to do. some web sites or whatever wouldn't like it !!! apparently.
tim
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why worry about gigabit routers when you can add this to make your LAN gigabit? It's hardly going to break the bank!
Heck, even a Netgear GS105 (one of the sturdy Netgear metal boxes that if you drop you risk serious damage - to the floor) is under £40!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
timmytoad
Grafter

thanks buddy, nice one, looks good, but it aint wireless for my lap top to connect to it !, if, to get the max speed via cable, it will be easier for me to carry on as i am by connecting the network drive direct to my lap top. thanks for the ideas though.
tim
jim:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Using a switch like that wouldn't prevent you using the wireless on the router!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
timmytoad
Grafter

Ok,  hhmmmm,
dick:quote