cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repurpose a technicolor router

hack101

repurpose a technicolor router

I've just upgraded to the FTTC service (much faster). I now have an unused adsl technicolor router and would like to use it as a wireless bridge to the new technicolor router i.e.
fibre----technicolor...wireless----wireless....technicolor....ethernet
Is this possible through telnet. If not, do these things have any value?
5 REPLIES 5
hymermanbill
Grafter

Re: repurpose a technicolor router

Try turning dhcp off and the firewall off change the IP address of it to 192.168.1.1  and then just plug it in at the other end of the Ethernet cable and it should work as a router and also give you a wireless access point.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I would not have thought that was a function to be included in a modem/router as bridge mode excludes simultaneous use as an access point. Certainly, the TG585 does not provide it - only a WAN side VLAN bridge capability.
I you need to connect a remote LAN,  a wireless AP/repeater unit could provide the near equivalent "station" mode with, in some cases, simultaneous remote repeater function (eg Edimax EW-7416APN).
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You might be able to do it, but you may need to setup a new default route on the router. (and change its ip address)
To do this you need to telnet into it.
something like
ip router add 0.0.0.0/32 192.169.1.254 LocalNetwork
then try
ip ping 212.58.241.131
which should ping bbc.co.uk site.
for more info get the  cli user manual or use menu on the telnet prompt.
hack101

Thank you for the replies :). I probably didn't make the requirement clear enough. What I want to do is join the router to an existing wireless network, then bridge to the ethernet ports. It's relatively easy to do this in the Apple world and with ddwrt but I was looking for a way of doing this with a technicolor router. 
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: hack101
Thank you for the replies :). I probably didn't make the requirement clear enough. What I want to do is join the router to an existing wireless network,

I suspect that is not a function most router/modem units would provide as it requires the capability to act as a "client" (ie initiate a connection) rather than an access point (ie listen for requests to allow access).
Quote from: hack101
then bridge to the ethernet ports. It's relatively easy to do this in the Apple world and with ddwrt but I was looking for a way of doing this with a technicolor router. 

There is no "bridge" to ethernet in the router, the wireless AP is just another node on the switch.
In wireless terms, a "bridge" is usually two wireless devices configured to communicate with each other and ignore any other wireless units. Most standalone APs can be configured for this as well as operating in "client" mode; whether any router can I do not know.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.