cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacing router with ipcop

spudy12
Grafter

replacing router with ipcop

Is it possible to setup an ipcop box to replace the current modem provided by plus net?
We have fibre to the cabinet so have the bt white box and then a modem supplied by plus net. Can the mode m be replaced with a machine running ipcop and if so what are the settings?
thanks
17 REPLIES 17
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: replacing router with ipcop

You can use any suitable device, and what you have in mind should work fine. It just needs you to use an ethernet cable to connect to LAN1 on the VDSL modem and set up a PPPoE connection to it using your Plusnet user details.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I used a Smoothwall box for many years on ISDN & ADSL. So you should have no issues, but I would put a decent set of cards in it, if you are using a low powered device.
spudy12
Grafter

what do you mean by low powered? I have gone for a dual core atom and 2gb ram. Intel Gb pci card for internal network and onboard realtek for external. Will this be up for the job?
Are there any good reads out there on how to set this up?
thanks for your replies
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yep that should be fine, I meant like an old PIII desktop, or a Via C7 which is what I used to use for my Smoothwall install. Not sure if it could handle the fibre speeds now, as I say not used it for several years since I switched to Linux and didn't have the problems any more.
If you find it runs hot, use 2 intel cards and disable the internal nic, they should run in DMA mode.
WRT guides no idea never used an IPCop - I used the free Smoothwall version (of which I believe the IPCop is a clone)
picbits
Rising Star

These days, using an older PC for stuff like that can be false economy.
You can grab a HP Microserver for around £100 with running costs of £30-40 a year. A P3/P4 running at 150 watts will use around £150 worth of electricity a year.
My E3-1220 quad core server  idles at around 30 watts and rarely breaks a sweat unless I'm doing encoding.
dragon2611
Grafter

Those E3-1220's are quite a nice CPU crazy to think that's considered fairly low end these days.

I seem to remember managing to push around 80Mbit/s through pfSense on an Alix 2D3 (500Mhz AMD LX800 with 256Mb ram i think it was), although that was a while ago now so probably an older version of the software.
Also that would have been over straight routed IP rather than PPPoE
spudy12
Grafter

Running mine off a picopsu and it seems to idle around ~10-15w
I do believe ipcop is a spinoff of smoothwall as some of the creators didn't like the commercial non open source direction it was taking.
Would running the onboard nic to do the PPPoE add a lot of overhead?
thanks for your replies guys!
spudy12
Grafter

These are the options in ipcop, any clues?

link here for bigger view
http://gyazo.com/b5b0c1de618290155f7eebbba370c7dd
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Is PPPoE available as an option in the Modem drop down?
http://www.ipcop.org/2.0.0/en/admin/html/network-ppp-settings.html
spudy12
Grafter

HairyMcbiker
All Star

PPPOE was available in the Smoothwall release 6+ years ago. Can't see any reason for it not to be in the IPCop version.
Agreed, IF YOU CAN AFFORD a new server then they are much cheaper to run, but I can't afford ~ £200 for anything non essential. So I run my l/t with 3 external usb HDD's off it.
I would love to have one of the micro servers here. I have an old Compaq server in the loft, not been on for years though, just too much power/noise from it.
pwatson
Rising Star

Is the screengrab from the config for the Red or Green interface?
http://www.ipcops.com/wiki/howto:dialup
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: pwatson
http://www.ipcop.org/2.0.0/en/admin/html/network-ppp-settings.html

From that page Item 1:
Interface. This will be either a Communications port (COM1-COM5, ttyUSB0-4, noz0-1, ttyHS0-3, or usb/ttyACM0-3) used mostly for modems and ISDN cards, or PPPoE which is used mostly for DSL connections.
pwatson
Rising Star

Hairy McBiker - The OP has already tried that and PPPoE is not available in the dropdown...