cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

regular loss of connection but with different symptoms

ross123campbell
Grafter

regular loss of connection but with different symptoms

for the last couple of months our service has been very inconsistent - 99% of the time we have a good 9mb/s download speed that is reliable and then every couple of days our connection will drop.  what happens is one of the following:
- internet light goes off and we simple need to restart the router
- internet light goes off and for some reason i have to go to the router page and re-enter my password and simply 'connect' again
- connection drops and ATM service is lost
- connection drops at DNS stage
this is incredibly frustrating seeing as i do a lot of gaming and it kinda screws my team when my internet drops for some time between 1 minute and 8 hours or so
any ideas?
16 REPLIES 16
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: regular loss of connection but with different symptoms

HI ross123campbell,
Can you PM your new username, as the one related to this account isn't active
Jojo Smiley
ross123campbell
Grafter

Hi i attempted to PM you but i'm not sure it worked.  it would seem i dont have a forum account for my new contract, though when i say i 'forgot my password' and then enter the new account details i just get mailed back this username?
the name i use to log in and check my usage is <snip> - im not sure if this help?
at the moment we are disconnecting about once a day at very random times
jim:green personal information removed mod:end
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I've just run some test for you and I must admit that doesn't show up anything obvious, however that doesn't mean to say that there isn't an issue there.
Unfortunately it's not always possible to drill into a lot of detail with an issue such as this where the connection drops only once per day as that in turn doesn't have any adverse effects other aspects of the connection such as speeds. So for now I'd advise that you closely monitor the situation and to raise a fault with us if this problem does get worse for you (I hope not though!) http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ross123campbell
Grafter

"Please try using the Broadband Troubleshooter again in a short while. If you continue to have problems please contact our Support Team for help."
took me about 20 minutes to get on the plus.net forums to post this, whereas other websites were fine Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry you had an issue with that, I'd advise calling the support line in that case on 0800 432 0200.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ross123campbell
Grafter

out of nowhere i just can't connect to anything.  standard router reset and its working fine again
this is getting seriously annoying i'm having issues most days
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It looks like your router is losing connection to the DNS servers for some reason, it'd probably be worth setting them in the router if possible rather than leaving it to get them automatically.
You can use any of the following four:
If you set those in the router you should find things improve, hope that helps.
ross123campbell
Grafter

don't know how to add these, the only thing i see relating to DNS is the dynamic DNS, which i assume is not what i want?
my router is
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Setting DNS on the Thomson routers can't be done via the web interface, it has to be done using telnet from a command prompt.
The procedure is described in the Community Support Library article How to change the default DNS Servers in a Thomson Speedtouch router.
David
ross123campbell
Grafter

thanks, will try it now
ross123campbell
Grafter

ok when i want to login to my router with telnet it suggests i log in with "Administrator" and no password, but this is invalid.  Is there any way i can find out what the password is? i don't know whether i may have set a password for this or not
EDIT: never mind, it was a capital issue >< should have known
ross123campbell
Grafter

i have now added the second two addresses (first two were already there)
hope this helps, thanks a lot
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The ones that were already there were presumably added automatically and will have metrics of 10 or more. If those you added have smaller metrics than 10 they should take precedence, but the main thing is they are statically defined and shouldn't disappear.
David
ross123campbell
Grafter

ok so no apparant change after adding these extra DNS addresses 😕 i'm still having random disconnects once a day (usually after midnight) and every few days i get a big one where i usually have to wait until morning for it to work again
if i 'check connectivity' in the router page it usually passes the DSL stage but falls over at the ATM stage
i just ran a connectivity check while my connection was working and this is the result: