Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

really bad speeds! help plusnet!

khaggy
Dabbler

really bad speeds! help plusnet!

hey guys,
today i have been experiencing terrible speeds as low as 140kbps when it is at least 2200. anyone able to help? i hav tried resseting my router and everything. Another thing, i have used 10gb of peak time usage, has that affected me?
17 REPLIES 17
billbo
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: really bad speeds! help plusnet!

Hi
What tariff are you on?
khaggy
Dabbler

hey sorry i didnt state to product, i believe i dont have brodbad you way but it have PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1. hope that helps!also the speed tests show 135kbps
cp:blue Full quote of preceding post removed. mod:end
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

PJ, he is on the legacy premier option 1 not BBYW option 1.
khaggy, please run the BT speedtest as requested earlier and post the results.
Also if you have a router, post the line stats (sync rate, line attenuation, SNR/Noise margin).
Also state what is says under connection settngs -> high speed broadband on the member centre page as this determines your date throughput speed.
Are you on a fixed speed connection (2Mbs I guess) or ADSL Max up to 8Mbs?
khaggy
Dabbler

ADSL Max up to 8Mbs is what i have. i managed to complete one bt speedtest = IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  1840 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 104 kbps

in conection settings it says 500kbps. never had this problem before!
cp:blue Full quote of preceding post removed. mod:end
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Though you are synced with the exchange at 1840kbps now there will have been a recent sync at a very low speed, circa 160kbps, which resulted in your IP profile going down to 135kbps.
If you don't know when this occurred PlusNet will be able to tell you by looking at your line report history.
David
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Sorry to hear that you're having a spot of bother.
Whilst your sync speed was 1840Kbps, it is now 224Kbps, which is going to be the fundamental reason for your poor speeds.  This is clearly a problem!
I would recommend that you try replacing your filters and ensuring that you are connected to the master socket and then I'll have another look to see if there has been any improvement.
khaggy
Dabbler

THese are a few figures taken from my router.
                DSL Status:  UP   
  DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT  
  DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED  
  Downstream Rate: 4768 Kbps  
  Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps  
  Downstream Margin: 9 db  
  Upstream Margin: 21 db
I wiill check all the filters and then try and connect to the master socket and will post details soon. thanks
khaggy
Dabbler

IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  4768 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 120 kbps
i have checked all the filters and i shall now connect the router straight to the master socket and see if it makes any differnce
khaggy
Dabbler

tried connecting to master socket and the speeds ere exactly the same?!?! any suggestions on what to do or what the problem is?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

BT have reduced your profile due to a previous low resync speed. All you can do is wait (3 -> 5 days) for BT to recognise your higher sync speed and adjust upwards your IP profile.
This relies on you not resycing lower again. If you do, the time period gets reset and you have to wait a further 3 -> 5 days.
James
Grafter

Your sync speed is now 3776Kbps.  If you maintain these speeds then your IP Profile will be amend in the next day or so, causing you to gain higher throughput speeds.
The sync speed fluctuation is concerning though and is probably the fundamental cause of your problem.  Were you able to try changing filters?
khaggy
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter
BT have reduced your profile due to a previous low resync speed. All you can do is wait (3 -> 5 days) for BT to recognise your higher sync speed and adjust upwards your IP profile.
This relies on you not resycing lower again. If you do, the time period gets reset and you have to wait a further 3 -> 5 days.

is it in my control on whether or not it resyncs again or is it a mateer of hoping?
James
Grafter

To an extent it is within your control.  All you can do is to ensure that you are connected to your master socket and that all of your filtering is working correctly and that you have filters connected to all of your telephone sockets.
This will decrease the likelihood of your line resyncing.
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

This Bell wire trick seems popular:
Have a look at:
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
Follow the blog link to Phil's Blog. He has a guest book with many posts that agree.
Doug