cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ready to leave already!!

Mickdooler
Dabbler

ready to leave already!!

I have come to the conclusion that it is the supplied router that is absolutely garbage. I am sat right next to the router on my laptop and only achieving 44Mb wireless, 74Mb wired, when I move more than a meter away this drops to 36Mb, at 3 meters away still at 36Mb. however the ps3 (3m away) only gets 8Mb connection. I was getting better results on standard BB on the ps3, this has left me almost unable to play a game online without massive amounts of lag. Its ok asking me to run more tests, plugging the ps3 wires and such, why cant you just supply decent equipment to start with.
As you can tell I'm a little pissed off with this now.
Its now going to cost me more money to get a good connection. If I'm still in the cooling down period(which I think I am) I may as well switch to a company that will at least provide decent equipment.
I think the customer service you provide is fantastic but come on, surely you have seen enough posts on here and had to exchange enough routers by now to do something about it?
What can you do to keep me as a customer?
What WILL you do to keep me as a customer?
Good honest broadband from Yorkshire, Then show me!!
jim:red avoidance of swear filter removed mod:end
11 REPLIES 11
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: ready to leave already!!

Wouldn't rely on a Plusnet router as the wifi is shit.  (please excuse my language)
I would get a BT home hub 5 for FTTC and provides a much better speed via wifi.  See a successful story here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121873.msg1056416.html#msg1056416
Comment below showed some success by not using the technicolor and using a BTHH5
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Krazeh
Grafter

If you don't like the free router that PN supply then replace it. Or go an get a 3m Ethernet cable and plug the Ps3 directly into the router.
HNKS
Grafter

Not really free when they charge you £45 for it if you want to leave.
jim:quote
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

After 12 months the £45 is deferred which then makes the router become your property.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Mickdooler
Dabbler

It wouldn't be a 3m cable running along skirting and door frames really would it? And why wiuld any company supply this crap if they know how bad it is?
Mickdooler
Dabbler

I'm sat in there now with doors open, clear line of sight between router and ps3 and only getting 6.8mb, why when I'm paying for a service should I need to go out and spend more money to deliver what they are supposed to?Huh
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Plus net has a agreement with technicolor to supply the router.
They have to wait until the agreement is over to supply a different branded router.
TORPC
Grafter

A free router is not going to be the Rolls Royce equivalent Router as it is only meant as a basic starting point to get you connected to the World Wide Web
Therefore it is only designed as an entry level piece of kit
They cannot always guarantee that you wont have some sort interference REIN from Microwaves, Fridge / Freezers, Device(s) Power packs, Light fittings, Street Lights, Neighbour's electrical equipment and much much more.
Power everything down in your house, with the exceptions of your Laptop and Router, then retest by switching 1 item on at a time wait a few minutes check speed, distance on the  connection etc, if all is ok then switch on the next item on and repeat until everything is either back on or you find the possible culprit causing the connection to drop speed
Have you tried ruling the above out ?Huh
Have you tried a different Wireless Channel that does not overlap your Neighbour's Check out Inssider to help you find the least or non congested channel

Have you also check to see if your wireless card has the latest updates possible
If it is an old card it may not be fully compatible with the NTechnology therefore you could try the router in b or g mode instead
D/Load and install DSLstats and use it to monitor you connection
To change some of the settings on the TG582n / TG587n Router(s) you may have to Telnet into it, (If your brave enough)  Cheesy

picbits
Rising Star

Plusnet supply almost the same router as BE used to - it was moaned about on the BE forums as well but it's a fairly simple router and easy to troubleshoot if the customer has an issue. It copes with 99% of everything most users throw at it without problems but there are occasionally a couple of faulty routers or issues with incompatibilities with some equipment.
By supplying a cheap(ish) router as standard, troubleshooting issues by PN are a little easier as the staff know their way around the router settings.
I plugged mine in, made sure everything worked then plugged my tp-link in. This gave me some issues after lots of data transfer so I reflashed it with dd-wrt and it has been pretty stable since. I keep my Technicolor router in case of issues if my FTTC has a problem.
I still only get 30-40Mb from my wireless N card on my Toshiba laptop but the full 300Mb/s if I use a dongle.
Have you tried a different type of encryption on the router (just in case) ?
Dhaos
Grafter

8MB isnt enough to play a online ps3 game? Wow i pity those who cant get FFTC. Makes me wonder how anyone played online on their ps3 when they first came out since FFTC is a pretty new thing. But yeah like others have said upgrade the router, i had to go out and buy a 5ghz router as our baby monitor plays havok with the 2.4ghz band
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

A great illustration that it is not always the router which is the cause of the issue, but rather the environment.
I've got the TG582n and readily get a consistent 24Mbs 30m away from the router.
I would guess that the OP has a local environment issue.  Do these time consuming game consoles run at N wifi speeds?  As a previous poster suggested, even as slow as 8Mbs is fast enough. May be the OP's issue is not wifi related, unless they have confirmed that when Ethernet connected, the games console performs better - though that could point to a problem with the console's wifi interface.  Need to keep an open mind!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.