cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re-powering router, ppp and other magic

johnlbuk
Dabbler

re-powering router, ppp and other magic

On a recent post someone was advised to re-power their router to get another gateway. They were told not to do it too often a it could effect their speed. Ok so far.
To avoid the later they were told to disconnect their ppp or something like that.
How do I do this?
If I have to re-cycle to get off the default profile what do I do with ppp?
By checking router? It tells me currently my download speed  6560know whereas it is only about 120kbps using think broadband  checker.
I can't be the only person flummoxed by the terminology, is there a call for a sticky post to cover these sort of matters and explaining terminology?
Thanks..using my Android as broad band to slow for forum!
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: re-powering router, ppp and other magic

To avoid the later they were told to disconnect their ppp or something like that.
How do I do this?

Yes, the majority of routers allow you to perform a "soft reboot" that basically means dropping and re-establishing the connection without the router having to be powered off and back on again.
The admin/settings page for your router should allow you to do that. If you're not sure how to do that do let us know what router you're using.
is there a call for a sticky post to cover these sort of matters and explaining terminology?

A lot of that is already covered on the library section of this site, otherwise we have staff members like myself and mods on hand to help out with that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
johnlbuk
Dabbler

Thanks
I found "reboot the router" in Diagnostics under Maintenance with my Netgear DG834G.
JohnB
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Thats the option not to use unless you have to, that will make BT's system see a lost connection to the exchange and trigger a lower IP profile if you use it too many times at the wrong times of the say.
There should be a setting to drop a "PPP session/connection", that is the one that is safe to use for gateway hop as a lot of us post in threads
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Gus
Thats the option not to use unless you have to, that will make BT's system see a lost connection to the exchange and trigger a lower IP profile if you use it too many times at the wrong times of the say.

I'm afraid that's not right Gus, using the reboot option from the router's interface is by far the safest way to drop the connection. If you use the reboot option in the router's control panel, the router sends a stop packet to the exchange requesting that the connection is closed. The exchange therefore knows that it is not a dropped connection.
What you shouldn't be doing is just unplugging the router or the phone cable. If you do that the stop packet isn't received by the exchange, therefore the DLM system thinks a fault has caused the line to drop.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Not all routers do the same, my cheap and nasty Buffalo doesn't.  If I do a forced rebooted more than once in a short period verses dropping the PPP connection I will get a lowered IP profile.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Interesting, and annoying 😕 that's the first router I've heard of that behaves like that. Not sure what you could do in that case, but I'll certainly remember that - cheers for the heads up.