cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Premier [£29.99]" to "PRO" - a good deal?

tarquel
Grafter

"Premier [£29.99]" to "PRO" - a good deal?

Hi all
Just wondering whether its worth it as the title implies.
I'm currently on the Premier - option 3 [£29.99] as I use the net alot, especially these days with VPN to work, larger game downloads, PS3 demo's, development work, etc etc., and I'm wondering whether its worth moving my package to the PRO equivelent?
The differences as I see them are that the peak and off peak are different - peak is only 4pm > midnight on the old premier package whereas its everything minus midnight > 8am on the PRO package.
Gaming wise, i generally have good a ping / latency, but the less the better of course Wink
A urge that PRO looks to give me is that there is no speed capping at a certain time of day, which is really useful for me i.e. if i want to download something that friend needs, i want to do it at that precise time as fast as i can get it, not have to wait because PN's system decides otherwise [hope that made sense, and yes - well aware of the speed can be rubbish due to it being the route it travels, along with the target server etc etc etc].
Just wondering if anyone else has made the move and whether its worth it or not.
Would like to know the forum staff's opinions if they care to share too Wink
Regards
Nath.
7 REPLIES 7
Spider
Grafter

Re: "Premier [£29.99]" to "PRO" - a good deal?

I made the move from Premier Option 1 to Pro and very pleased I did. My main concern is the amount of usage in peak time as I host a game server but so far no problems. The impact would be the cost to get an equal Gb allowance of 40Gb which would add an extra £22.50 (if my calculations are correct) to the price if you pay for it up front. Using the PAYG model the cost would be an extra £27. In either case it is really down to how much you use in the 8am to 4pm period which will counted as peak time.
James
Grafter

Hi Tarquel,
I probably couldn't tell you a great amount more than what Spider has already mentioned.  It would really boil down to how much usage you're using on a monthly basis between 8am and 4pm to know whether or not it would be a sensible move for you.
atbs1
Grafter

Well we use our connection for business, therefore 0800 to 1600 is peak time for us!
Ergo we don't want to change to a product which is patently unsuitable.  No moving for us then.
James
Grafter

Hi SGTE,
If you are using your connection for business purposes, then you wouldn't be able to sign up for a residential service anyhow.
http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/tandcarchive/070704-030405/legal_stuff-aup-general.html
Firejack
Grafter

Pro doesn't actually improve speeds at all. The speed and ping times remain the same. The only difference is all Pro traffic has a higher priority on Plus.nets network. All games should by default have this high priority already but some games  are not identified by Plus.nets Traffic Management system correctly and this can lead to gaming traffic having low priority and why you see problems with latency sometimes. Especially with games that use a large variety of ports or newer games that are yet to be added to the Traffic Management System. Pro just guarantees you will see high priority for your gaming (and other) traffic.
Having been testing Pro this last month I personally feel Premier is the better product for gamers. I'm really struggling to keep my usage within the 10GB limit especially since uploads appear to be counted also Sad
90% of games should work fine with Premier. If you are willing to be patient while the other 10% are correctly prioritized I certainly believe Premier is better value for money.
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: Firejack
I'm really struggling to keep my usage within the 10GB limit especially since uploads appear to be counted also Sad

The same applies to premier with regard to uploads. With regard to speeds they are only the same below 13Gb (Option 1). At 13Gb by they start to be restricted. More details can be found here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml.
tarquel
Grafter

Thanks for all the replys guys. Most appreciated.
Havent actually had a chance to look through them in proper detail yet, but I think its option 2 of premier i was on [30Gb peek seemed about right]
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier2.shtml
Very useful info in the charts on here. The first chart is fine and happy with, but the 2nd chart is the kicker really.
In honesty, it seems to be faster than what is mentioned there under the Download sites & Download servers rows during those time periods, but that what i was really wondering. Whether the change to PRO is worth it in this sense [as PRO doesnt have any restrictions in this way so the page with the comparison shows - not got it to hand sorry].
If i need to, i can restrict my larger downloading to later on. I'll have to look at my peak rate usage really maybe.
Just trying to find the better deal for me really lol
Cheers
Nath.