cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

("Included") Webspace Usage....

pawhe955
Grafter

("Included") Webspace Usage....

I have a legacy account that includes 250MBytes of free webspace. I knew I was getting close to the 250MBytes limit, so kept a close eye on the usage stats through "My Webspace" in the control panel. I actually went over the 250MBytes (by around 5MB) and thought I’d wait to see what happened. Nothing did (for a good few days), so trying to be the good citizen (e.g. adhere to the AUP), I deleted some stuff, and left it at 24KBytes(!) over 250Mbytes. However, the next morning, I had an email warning me about being over limit, citing the AUP, etc....
I deleted more, but because I'm regularly adding new stuff, I’m having to delete old stuff as I go along. The AUP email states that “further infringements may result in your webspace being restricted, or even removed.” – I don’t want this to happen, and will regularly delete stuff to get back within limits, but when you want to put new stuff up, sometimes it’s a bit onerous to do the house-keeping there and then - so I was just wondering 1/ how regularly/when the script to check space used is run (as it certainly doesn’t seem to be every day), and 2/ just how stringent the limits are (not being “warned” when 5MB over, but being warned when 24KB over, seemed weird….).
Basically, my aim is (of course) to stay within the 250MBytes limit, but I’d rather only do housekeeping once a week, or fortnightly….. (but don’t want my webspace deleted in the meantime).
Thanks,
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: ("Included") Webspace Usage....

It is possible you are confusing total web space capacity and web space bandwidth allowance (download and upload limit)
The limit for total capacity is, as you say, 250MB but the allowed bandwidth allowance is as shown here - at the bottom http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/tips_and_info/webspace_faq.shtml#9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could always check the profile of HTDOCS and get a result as below (right click and select profile including contents)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How did you get a GUI style response from ftp?
It is worth noting that storage will be allocated in blocks - probably of 4Kbytes.
If you just add up the size of the files then this will be different from the spaces allocated.
Especially if you have a large number of small files.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Using FireFTP connect to the server then right click on htaccess and select properties including files
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and that is penguin or $ Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: pierre_pierre
and that is penguin or $ Roll_eyes Roll_eyes

Well - it's very neat and works in $ and penguin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pawhe955
Grafter

Thanks for the replies - I do in fact use FireFTP, and use the "Properties (inc. contents)" to check the total size and manage the total amount of Disk Space used - however, my question was more to do with the consquences of being over the limit, and when this is actually checked by Plusnet, etc. The emails from Plusnet don't appear to be generated on a daily basis, and whilst I want to keep within the AUP for webspace used, I would like to know how "urgent" it is for me to do the required housekeeping (which is editing a number of pages for links, deleting appropriate content, etc.) - I'm probably being lazy, although I'd like to think of it more as trying to manage my time more efficiently.....  🙂
P.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it pays to be cautious, people have lost their web contents through a) being over space b) over the traffic limits.  Then unfortunately PN dont appear to keep a back up and unless you do all is lost.
Traffic can be a nightmare if you have something interesting and open to the Public, one of our members had a photo of an airbus in an odd place, Google found it and Bang it was the first item on Google search, used all his allowance in a couple of days
mal0z
Grafter

I had a problem once when a few "helpful" society members downloaded the whole web site using one of the tools for that job - trying to be helpful and back it all up -  and immediately the site went over it's traffic limits for the month.  Angry
There is a huge library of photos/videos  - hence the high traffic doing that.