cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems sending to yahoo mail from outlook

richardgrlewis

problems sending to yahoo mail from outlook

Hi guys, just recently (last 3 weeks) sending via SMTP to yahoo mail worked intermittently,  now it never works (last week).  Receiving via POP is fine all the time.  All is set up correctly according to yahoo help, in fact I didn't change the settings for some time.  Incoming is 995 and outgoing 465.  Outlook test also fails.  Nothing changed in the PC as far as I know, scanned for every virus/bug/adware known to man.
Anyone else had this problem or can offer any help?
thanks
richard
8 REPLIES 8
prichardson
Grafter

Re: problems sending to yahoo mail from outlook

Well, from the ports I can see they are not our servers, so can't provide direct assistance.
However, for myself and the wider audience to assist, can you provide the full error messages returned when you have problems.
richardgrlewis

hi phil, thanks for your instant reply!  For my understanding does that mean each mail supplier uses different ports?
Anyway here is the error message sending and receiving from outlook 2003.
Task 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC7D) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) server does not support SSL-secured connections. If SSL-secured connections have worked in the past, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
And here is the (same) error message sent from outlook 2003 test accounts
Task 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC7D) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) server does not support SSL-secured connections. If SSL-secured connections have worked in the past, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
It suggests contacting you, also yahoo help suggests to ask you first in case any of these ports have recently been affected by upgrades and so on,
thanks richard
Ianwild
Grafter

Looking at what you are saying, I don't believe this is anything we have done or which we can control. Googling the error brings lots of complaints like this one: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080221054701AAFbSuW which point the finger at Yahoo.
Sorry I can't be more helpful on that one!
Ian
richardgrlewis

thanks very much, looks like a yahoo problem, but always best to check, and your response is simply stunning.
Probably have to move email accounts now!
have a good week
richard
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I use Outlook Express with Yahoo mail on the ports mentioned with no problems (at present!).
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

One thought have you fully reloaded Windows? In the past I have found problems when I hibernate Windows and come back next day.
richardgrlewis

thanks no still utterly dead, but receive is fine!
Loombucket
Grafter

I can shed a little light on this - I've had several calls from customers in the last few days who are having problems with Yahoo mail, both sending via SMTP, access via webmail, you name it.  The ONLY common denominator is Yahoo - they're obviously having big problems with email, which frankly is not unusual.
Only thing you can do is wait until they sort it out (you'll know when that is - you'll see a thin film of ice forming on the upper surface of Hades) or change your email arrangements to another provider.  Googlemail is good....
.....or Plusnet?  Wink