Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pro

chatburger
Grafter

pro

hi
as a new customer just wanna say how great the support staff seem.everything comes within hours instead of weeks.....or months(wont mention my last provider)
was just wondering if anyone has a similar problem.
ive just swapped my package from max to pro but cant really see any noticable difference in ping times during online gaming,was hoping pro might be the answer to my prayers as i have had this problem for years spanning several providers and always have the worse ping and laggy gameplay.can anyone give me a clue as to how much difference upgrading to pro has made to there ping times?
7 REPLIES 7
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: pro

It is possible that Interleaving has been turned on for your line.
Interleaving is often applied automatically by BT to assist in making certain lines more stable.  One side effect of interleaving is usually increased ping times.
You can request that Plusnet turn Interleaving OFF which should drop your ping times.  However, it will mean that your line may drop more often than it does at the moment.
One of the staff may be able to determine whether you have Interleaving turned on.  Alternatively, your router may report this information although that does depend on the make and model.  Look under possibly 'Router stats' to see if it mentions Interleaving or Interleaved.
If may be useful to post your sync rates as reported by your router - these can often give a possible clue as to whether Interleaving is turned on.
Of course, your problem may not be this, but I would certainly recommend looking into it as a first step.
B.
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: chatburger
ive just swapped my package from max to pro but cant really see any noticable difference in ping times

With Pro your connection should be still maxed, but actually which product were you on? Identifiable games are all treated at Titanium on the BBYW Options 2 to 4 and Pro, but Gold on Option 1.
chatburger
Grafter

hi
currently only using a speedtouch 330,but have used a belkin router which only seemed to make things worse.

i changed from option 4 to the gamingpro broadband!!!
Spider
Grafter

The main differences between the two products is that all traffic on Pro falls into Titanium or Gold and does not have any traffic shaping. From what you have said I would not expect you to see much (if any difference) to your gaming experience unless you were playing an obscure / very new game (i.e. not recognised as gaming traffic) and playing in peak times.
See http://usergroup.plus.net/070920_bbywcomp3.php for a product comparison chart on traffic shaping.
James
Grafter

Hi Chatburger!
Glad to hear that you've been having a good experience of our support team.
On your line, you have something called interleaving being applied.  What this does is that it improves the stability on the line, but causes latency to rise by 20-30ms.  We can remove this, but you need to be aware that it *may* cause some instability.  Of course, it may also not.
Let me know if you want to go ahead with it.  Turning interleaving off and also turning it on again would take 1 working day to complete.
chatburger
Grafter

hi
that would be great if you could go ahead with that for me. i suppose if it causes to many problems i can always ask for it to be switched back on.
thx
James
Grafter

Hi again,
I'll get this done for you now.  It should be all off in the morning Smiley