cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet's 'stable rate' seems desynced from bt's bras profile rate.

gyre
Grafter

plusnet's 'stable rate' seems desynced from bt's bras profile rate.

I'm having a problem in that although when I run the bt speedtester, I see that my bras profile is 1.75mbps, when I access plusnet's page which shows me my stable rate, it shows only 500kbps.
I had assumed that both values would be pretty much in sync.  Pardon the pun.  Smiley
The net effect seems to be that I'm currently throttled to 500kbps, even though bt would allow me to run at 1.75mbits.
I've raised a question about this nearly a day ago, but plusnet's usually very responsive folks haven't replied yet, so I'm trying here to see if I mis-understood how things worked.
Thanks.

Results
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2144 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 427 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact
your ISP for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

-- gyre --
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: plusnet's 'max stable rate' seems desynced from bt's bras profile rate.

You haven't misunderstood.
Unless the Plusnet number now matches it is likely that the systems (BT's or Plusnet's) have not communicated the change.
gyre
Grafter

OK, thanks.
I had assumed that the plusnet system is there in some capacity to act as some kind of throttle or part of a provisioning system to make sure that they are not sending more than the bt bras profile's rate through to me.
I'd also assumed that plusnet's system would be tracking fairly regularly the BT system.  In the past, I believe I've seen that happen.  But it looks to my impatient mind that either that process isn't happening for some reason, or the time period in which is should happen is longer than 1 day.
-- gyre --
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If James was around this would be fixed in minutes! However ring in and tell them that your stable rate hasn't been updated to match your IP Profile and that it has been like that for more than 12 hours. They will try and fob you off by saying that it will happen automatically and you respond by pointing out that it has been so far beyond the 12 hours that is supposed to be the maximum that it isn't going to happen. (If they still refuse to do anything about it you might suggest that you will be asking Mand to get the educating tool out).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gyre
Grafter

Thanks.  I rang plusnet and spoke to a helpful person.
Apparently, although BT's speedchecker is saying 1750kbps, my local exchange is saying 500kbps.  Ugh!  Gratz BT for keeping your stuff in sync.
Have raised a fault.
-- gyre --
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just to be a bit clearer with the terminology, it is not the 'max stable rate' which is another value associated with sync speed (and also a misnomer). Your Plusnet profile (data transfer rate) which should which should match the BT IP profile on this page https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed is referred there as the line speed (another misnomer). If it has been referred to as the data speed or indeed PN profile, there would be less confusion.
gyre
Grafter

Tee hee.  Thanks for the correction.  You are quite right.
For want of better terms, my plusnet profile value/rate apparently equals my local exchange value/rate, but doesn't equal my bras profile rate as determined by bt's speedtester web page.
Something seems to have wedged my local exchange at 500kbps after I briefly swapped to a very old router (510v4) to investigate a different fault a few days earlier.
-- gyre --
itsme
Grafter

What are you referring to with this 'local exchange value/rate'. Your speed will be determined by 2 profiles which are the one from the BT speedtest and PN Profile. You seem to have brought a 3rd one in from somewhere.
The bt speedtest profile is
and PN profile is
Current line speed:
gyre
Grafter

OK.
When I rang up plusnet's support folks, I was told that my local exchange had a rate of 500kbps for me.  And that plusnet's system was using that rate too.

Current line speed:

However, I pointed out that I'd done two BT speedtests, one only a few minutes earlier, and both had said that I had a bras profile rate of 1750kbps.
I was told that there was something wrong/stuck at my local exchange and to raise a fault which would eventually be escalated to BT.  Which I've since done.
So I'm confused.  On the one hand all the BT speedtests are reliably telling me that I have a bras profile rate of 1750kbps, and yet plusnet is claiming that BT is telling them that I have a rate of 500kbps?
It isn't like my line is going up and down... it is absolutely rock solid on a sync of 2112kbps or better, with no reconnects, and very few errors.
-- gyre --
itsme
Grafter

PN system should automatically pick up the BT IP profile within 12 hours, but having said that I have had two profile changes this weekend in the downward directions and these should by picked up by PN system with 75 minutes. The first took 15 hours and the second 5 hours. It seem that sometimes this system gets sticky or stuck so the only option is to raise a ticket and paste the BT speedtest in it as proof that the IP profile has changed.
gyre
Grafter

This is what I've done.
However, after getting no response after 1 day from customer support, I rang them as suggested in this thread.
They said my local BT exchange was telling them I was still on 500kbps, even though I have 2 (now 3) BT speedtests that show me I'm on the 1750kbps rate.
I've been on 500kbps for like 5+ days, even though I'm solidly synced at 2112kbps, and it is starting to annoy me.
-- gyre --
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Run another BT speed test, if it's correctly showing your IP profile, add the results to the ticket and ask them to "hurry up" and adjust you PN profile (which they can do to match the BT speedtester) and also to "hurry up" & get BTw to get the exchange issue resolved (stuck profile).
gyre
Grafter

Time marches on... and I'm still on 500kbps profile despite doing as the good plusnet person says and leaving my router up for 3+days and then rebooting.
I haven't yet found a satisfactory explanation why plusnet can have me showing 500kbps rate, and BT have me consistently at 1750kpbs rate for the last few days.
Something's borked... and I'm stumped to know what.
Jameseh, where are you when we need you Smiley Smiley
-- gyre --
James
Grafter

Re: plusnet's 'stable rate' seems desynced from bt's bras profile rate.

Hiding under my desk Smiley
I've changed your profiled speed at our end.  Can you reboot your router and see if you notice an improvement in speed?
gyre
Grafter

Re: plusnet's 'stable rate' seems desynced from bt's bras profile rate.

Thanks a million Jameseh!  That does seem to have fixed it, at least for the moment Smiley
Results
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2144 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1542 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.