cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet firewall

owlguard
Grafter

plusnet firewall

Hi,im using comodo firewall and avg 8 also,do i really need to have the plusnet firewall on or can i turn it off.It always says dont have 2 firewalls working at same time.Dont understand wether its better off or not.
                                              would appreciate any help,ray. Smiley

5 REPLIES 5
MickKi
Grafter

Re: plusnet firewall

Quote from: owlguard
It always says dont have 2 firewalls working at same time.

"It" probably says not to have two software firewalls working at the same time, on the same machine.  That's because the rules from one firewall may conflict with the other firewall.  Also, some MSWindows 3rd party firewalls are so intrusive that they can make a mess of your OS if they conflict with other (similarly intrusive) applications.
Think of the Plusnet firewall as an additional layer of security on some selected ports of your network.  The principle of redundant layers of protection means that if a trojan/virus switches off your software firewall, then you will still have your router's firewall and on top of that Plusnet's firewall.  On the other hand, if you want to run a server at home you will find that after you punch holes into your software firewall and router firewall, the client machines still cannot connect from the Internet because of Plusnet firewall rules.  The Plusnet firewall has different settings to allow different use cases, you may want to consider these to see what suits your needs.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I use Comodo/AVG8 too; I am also on the Aladdin Safe Surfing trial (link). I have my PlusNet firewall on the Low setting.
I use the Low setting for the latter because using High (currently) prevents the NTP weekly time synchronisation check from working. Otherwise I would probably be using High.
One of the benefits from the PlusNet firewall is that random scans of the blocked ports are rejected before reaching ones router - so the traffic doesn't count towards monthly bandwidth. It is noticeable that router logs show zero intrusion attempts if the PlusNet firewall is on High.
Of course, as MickKi says, the usage of your computer might require unsolicited incoming traffic to be allowed through on certain ports. However I suspect if this was the case circumstances would probably have necessitated this question being researched earlier.
David
owlguard
Grafter

Thanks for both those replies im greatful.The most interesting part is the ntp on the router wont work properly.I have a netgear dg834gt mod/router and it has got dozens of trying to get the correct time,i believe,with the ntp messages but it is always an hour behind.My router which has been going for a few hundred hours went down(lcp down) i believe is the term used this morning without any help from me at all,it was around01-24am.Is it possible that this time problem could cause this,i have asked before a while ago and was told no and could anybody tell me that if iturned my plusnet down from the high setting it is at now to low,my router would show the correct time.
                                                                kind regards ray.
pd
Grafter

Select the Schedule link off the Security menu and you can set your time zone, check the box for Daylight Savings Time and you might like to try 139.143.45.11 as the NTP server.
owlguard
Grafter

Pd,thanks a million for that,ive done what you asked and its all ok by the look of things,the time is correct again,first time in god knows how long.I do try and learn everything myself but have been trying recently to get my speeds back up to the 2000 they were at,until a while ago,to no avail but that is a very useful piece of info i will not forget,thanks again mate.