cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please look at my ticket x

hoopaholic
Grafter

please look at my ticket x

my usage is going up and up and up and i aint using it,,whats going on.. im on a alcatel usb modem,, ive gone over my 8gb usage but it is not me..help
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: please look at my ticket x

What antivirus and firewall are you using.
It sounds like something nasty may be on your PC.
hoopaholic
Grafter

im using the windows firewall and antivir anti virus which i have been using for years,thanks
hoopaholic
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
What antivirus and firewall are you using.
It sounds like something nasty may be on your PC.

im using the windows firewall and antivir anti virus which i have been using for years,thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Right - the first thing is that the windows firewall doesn't control outbound activities so that is useless in trying to stop anything.
Assuming you haven't installed anything like 4oD 0r BBCi or any other P2P programmes can you run one of the free antivirus programmes such as this http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
Also try Superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/
hoopaholic
Grafter

i installed bbci player the other day,,do you think it could be this at fault,many thanks gary ,
LiamM
Grafter

Yes.  Definately.
iPlayer runs a P2P app in the background known as Kontiki.  This can be uploading data to other people regardless of whether you're using the iPlayer software at the time.
I'm using Channel 4OD at the moment, and streaming Hollyoaks.  It's streaming a straight 550kB/sec worth of data.  Around 4.5-5Mb.
Check Task Manager to see if you're running a service called KService.  If you are, terminate it and see what happens.
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: LiamM
I'm using Channel 4OD at the moment, and streaming Hollyoaks.  It's streaming a straight 550kB/sec worth of data.  Around 4.5-5Mb.

Hmm, in saying that - it's now stopped.  So I guess it's downloaded the whole programme and has cached it. Not quite so bad as 30minutes sustained downloading.
hoopaholic
Grafter

would it be better for me just to unninstall bbci right now then ? get rid of it thanks x
LiamM
Grafter

It's entirely up to you.  Of course, you should first ensure that it is definitely iPlayer (and just iPlayer) causing the increase in usage. 
I use iPlayer and find it quite handy.  But I just ensure that the KService that it runs in the background is not running when I'm not using it.
If you're not too sure how to control the bandwidth it is using, your safest bet is indeed to remove it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I think that there is a way of stopping the kontiki P2P when you aren't using BBC i by changing the default setting for Kservice.
This was written for 4oD but should also apply to BBC i
Kservice runs as a service. To stop it right-click on My Computer and choose Manage and then click on Services. Select the Kservice and choose to stop it
Note if you change the service from automatic to manual in its properties, it will not start automatically when you restart your computer, but will wait until you use the 4OD software. which should also apply to BBC iplayer as well.
hoopaholic
Grafter

so if i take off my pc bbci this will or should get rid of the kservice thingy,,many thanks for your help..gary
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It may or may not.
If it doesn't have a read of this http://www.skymovies.com/skybybroadband/articles/article04