Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pingtest.net stopped working

Bjn
Grafter

pingtest.net stopped working

Hi
Maybe I have my thick head on tonight I can't get pingtest.net to work. The java site says everything is installed and working and any browser I use I get the same results (firefox. IE 10 and chrome). I've tried this on 2 laptops and both give same results?
As far as I know pingtest.net does not display the page with globe to select a server unless java is enabled. I can see and start the test but no matter which server I choose the test starts and sticks at the packet test and never moves on, even left it for over 10 minutes in any of the three browsers.
I changed my router today after new one sent from Plusnet not sure if that would affect this site but worked OK on old router.
Any help and suggestions would be most welcome.
Bjn
12 REPLIES 12
danger11
Grafter

Re: pingtest.net stopped working

Same here. (Even when tethering) it appears to be related to a recent java update (was working fine before i updated a few days back)
thomasjc1
Grafter

works fine here
danger11
Grafter

ava version?
adie:quote
thomasjc1
Grafter

version 7 update 21 im gonna update to 25 and see what happens
danger11
Grafter

I am on "Java installed (Version 7 Update 25)."
Verify @ http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
thomasjc1
Grafter

Its working except packet loss

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I have a new pc and hadn't installed Java - It was working but no packet loss reading, however as soon as I installed Java & update 25 it won't work.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Working for me -

Java version: Version 7 Update 15  Embarrassed
Bjn
Grafter

Quote from: DanielM
Same here. (Even when tethering) it appears to be related to a recent java update (was working fine before i updated a few days back)

@DanielM thanks for your help your right once you update to version 7.25 it stops working, I've managed to download a java version 7.15 and after removing the newer version and reinstalling the old version everything works on the Ping Test.net site. Don't try and verify your install if you reinstall older version of java or it will try to update again.
Thanks DanielM
Ok anyone who requires the pingtest.net to work don't update your java until the site gets a fix to work with newer java.But beware you'll not have java newest secuirty.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Is a packet loss test more important than security?
The packet loss test worked on Linux with java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0.25-2.3.10.3.fc18 (equivalent to 7u25) and icedtea-web-1.4-1.fc18, but did pop up an unsigned applet warning dialog two times. Perhaps check the settings for unsigned applets in the Java item in control panel, maybe the security settings were tightened.
Bjn
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
Is a packet loss test more important than security?
The packet loss test worked on Linux with java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0.25-2.3.10.3.fc18 (equivalent to 7u25) and icedtea-web-1.4-1.fc18, but did pop up an unsigned applet warning dialog two times. Perhaps check the settings for unsigned applets in the Java item in control panel, maybe the security settings were tightened.

Re Security I've an old laptop I keep for testing things on and have down graded java on this one so main PC is safe on latest java.
Re settings you do get and unsigned applet on window 7 when you first go to pingtest.net site after updating to 7.25. As you say looks like security settings tightened up so we await pingtest.net to upgrade their site to acept new settings. In the mean time when I want to do a ping test I'll use my old test laptop.
Bjn
danger11
Grafter

In the meantime you can get a older version from http://www.oldapps.com/java.php
Java 7 Update 21 & Java 7 Update 21 (x64)