cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out of peak-time downloading (12-8am)

Blim
Grafter

out of peak-time downloading (12-8am)

Say If  I reinstall Windows and steam/games. And I download say 5 games, about 40gb. Would I be considered a heavy user? Even if it was a one-off?
Would this have any affect on other users?
18 REPLIES 18
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: out of peak-time downloading (12-8am)

AFAIK you can download as much as your connection will allow between midnight and 8 a.m. without shame or penalty.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Correct!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

40GB is probably nothing Wink
As for the effect on others, very little - the prioritisation works as it does during the day.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

And Plusnet do not classify customers as "heavy users". 
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Nope, otherwise I might be morbidly obese Cheesy
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Blim
And I download say 5 games, about 40gb. Would I be considered a heavy user?

I think you must have missed a nought out when you made your post. The answer is no, if you downloaded 400GB every night you'd be fine and Plusnet would be cool about it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Blim
Grafter

I don't know what to say, after seeing it run so well it seems strange after download a large amount (4am) I'm seeing reduced speeds, choppy and unresponsive at times.
I knew it was too good to be true.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

choppy and unresponsive at times.

Theoretically, if your router drops the connection and connects at a lower rate (at night perhaps) then the speed profile used by Plusnet to manage your traffic may take some time to catch up.  So if your connection is being used to near its full capacity you will not benefit from Plusnet's traffic management system and you will suffer random packet loss.  This could lead to your connection appearing choppy and unresponsive.  You would know if you were prone to this because the 'current line speed' reported here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (which is the 'profile' applied by Plusnet) would be greater than the IP profile reported if you run the test here http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
I myself am in this situation at the moment after my router hung and I had to restart it a few hours ago.  My IP Profile is 8.76 Mbps whilst my Current Line Speed is 8.9 Mbps.  I am not seeing any ill effects but I am not trying to use my broadband at anything like its full capacity at the moment.  If I was, I am reliably informed that I would suffer from random packet loss = although perhaps the difference it too small to matter.      
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I don't know what to say, after seeing it run so well it seems strange after download a large amount (4am) I'm seeing reduced speeds, choppy and unresponsive at times.
I knew it was too good to be true.

The download and then the choppiness are a complete coincidence. Your line is dropping out very often (or was most of the day yesterday, nothing that we do here would cause that.
If it continues then I'd suggest opening a fault ticket for us to look at.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

I note a fairly lengthy disconnect at around 8.00 pm yesterday. And there's quite a few "double" ones as well on the chart - so I wonder if some of these Blim has originated - Gateway hopping perhaps? Don't know about the long disconnect though!
Blim
Grafter

Yeah they are just gateway hopes. The long one was me powering down my router for while but I've not touched the openreach modem. Don't think its even been 10 days yet but the IP profile is still going strong both BT and PN.
Seems strange I've lost 15mb in the day and last night It was running max speed.
Anotherone
Champion

You aren't the only one I've seen having odd download speed variations on fibre. Maybe Plusnet can throw some light on this?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Only thing I could suggest is DLM really but that's still mostly a mystery on ADSL2+ - you know how little control we have over a fibre line, we can't even run a sync speed check 😕
EDIT: Though it is shown in a KBD check... I'll run one and see if there's been any change in sync speed. Not sure there will be but it's worth a look.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, tests are showing sync is actually at bang on 80MB down and 20MB up so either something hinky is going on or there's no issue whatsoever with the sync speed. Blim, is that what you're seeing on your side?