cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

options after not getting the estimated speed, only 1.7mpbs showing on the hub

ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: options after not getting the estimated speed, only 1.7mpbs showing on the hub

OK
Here is mine below using a different program.
EDIT Your graph was SNR MARGIN/Tone my graph is snr/tone
My SNR/tone follows the bitloading graph.
My only thoughts after seeing your graph is that there is something wrong with the modem at the exchange; perhaps ask for a "lift and shift" ie connected to a new port at the exchange.
Does routerstats have a hlog or QLN graphs? if so please post
EDIT: add info about incorrect graph.
cedlor
Grafter

Re: options after not getting the estimated speed, only 1.7mpbs showing on the hub

What I see is that you only have half the tones you should have.
Can you look at the router set up page and see if the mode is set on auto or adsl2+
If it is on auto  change it to adsl2+ to try and force a change.
Ian007jen I dont think RS has those graphs  what do the abbreviations stand for - I dont recall seeing them on RS
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I'm fairly sure platium is already using ADSL2/2+, and because the speed is so poor anyway, changing the mode won't make any significant difference.
platium's SNR margin per tone graph is not plotting the same thing as the SNR per tone graph. It is not possible to retrieve QLN (quiet line noise) or HLOG ("channel transfer function", a bit like the attenuation at each tone) data from the DG834V3.
Because the speed is so poor, if all the end user checks have been done, it'll be time for another engineer.
platium
Dabbler

Thank you all for the help. We had another engineer visit yesterday. Although he could not find any fault with the phone line, he replaced the phone line from the pole to the house anyway. All tests seem ok according to the engineer. However he mentioned that these tests would not guaranty  an improvement of the broadband speed. He also said the it was highly unlikely the poor speed was caused by interference from other appliance inside the house.  At the moment, my router speed is still at about 1.9mbps after 24 hours.  I will give it a few more days to see if it will stabilize at a higher speed.  The engineers also suggested that a "lift and shift" by Plusnet may be an option. 
platium
Dabbler

Four days after the engineer visit, the broadband speed is still at 1.8 Mbps despite the fact that all the "line faults" should be cleared by the engineer.  I would assume the poor speed was not caused by phone line "faults" from the beginning as all old phone lines from the pole to the master socket has now been replaced.  What I do not understand is for the past 3~4 years until last September when I was with Talktalk, on the same old phone line, my broadband speed was always between 5 and 6 mbps. How could this be different for Plusnet?  Are they using different technology?  PPPoA LLC or PPPoA Vc-Mux?  Why could plusnet not achieved the same speed on the same phone line? The technology should be more advanced than a few years ago. I read it somewhere that some company may limit your speed on purpose so that you have to switch to fibre. Although I find it hard to believe Plusnet will actually do that.
Would it make sense to ask plusnet to do a "lift and shift"?
Currently the speed is very stable. There is not a single drop in the past 4 days.  some stat showing in the attached pic.
cedlor
Grafter

They do use different technology Talktalk use LLC and Plus net dont.- LLC is sometimes a little faster but not as much as you are down.
Can you post the result of a BT performance test and from a similar time the speed at plusnet - see link below.
createdbydan
Grafter

Im at an absolute loss as to why this hasnt been looked at:
Total errors seconds:
Change your filter, if that doesnt resolve the errors change your DSL cable. If that doesnt resolve the issue, remove ALL other equipment on the line such as telephones, FAX etc as a faulty device could potentially cause the errors.
The speed is so slow due to the errors!
createdbydan
Grafter

And not getting tone after bit 123 with a 6db profile? really?
You have interference or a faulty filter, device on the line or cable. - And yes this is from professional experience working and being trained by BT for business DSL tech support.
Cheers,
Dan
TechSup
Dabbler

Quote from: createdbydan
Im at an absolute loss as to why this hasnt been looked at:
Total errors seconds:
Change your filter, if that doesnt resolve the errors change your DSL cable. If that doesnt resolve the issue, remove ALL other equipment on the line such as telephones, FAX etc as a faulty device could potentially cause the errors.
The speed is so slow due to the errors!

Me too I was very alarmed to see the error seconds this high. I would be inclined to put in another contact via web chat or phone call and ask for the errors on your line to be checked as these would you result in the sync rate being seen as normal whilst your throughput just would not being achieved and this should then be spotted if this is truly the cause of the issue.