cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

openreach services

chrcoluk
Grafter

openreach services

Does it make sense to anyone that openreach could supply a service which by default has a fee, the service is a simple one where a openreach guy turns up, he checks the pole, checks junction box and checks battery contact.
These are checks carried out for the fee, and the fee gets waived/reduced if a issue is found to be fixed.
Could plusnet push for such a service?
Yes am frustrated after having many engineers now who told me there may well be a fault but their procedures are to only do physical checks if the tester units pick something up.
Imo needs to be something that forces these checks to be carried out.  Roll_eyes
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: openreach services

Hi chrcoluk,
Those things should be checked if a fault is suspected there and in my opinion faults in those locations should be the ones that diagnostic tests more often than not point out to us at an early stage, although unfortunately that doesn't always happen. In such cases we do our best to pass feedback to Openreach through the appropriate channels.
Could plusnet push for such a service?

It would take other ISPs to push this too and IMHO it could be very difficult to broach with less-technical customers.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Adam,
Is there an ISP contribution to the OP's concern here?  As I understand it, BTOR only do the work requested by the ISP.  Rightly or wrongly (I think wrongly) that leaves the onus on the ISP to request the right remedial work... rather than the infrastructure owners, owning the "there is a fault on the line - go find and fix it" responsibility.
I recall a recent forum discussion about should BTOR fix a fault they find which they were not expressly asked to find?
Unfortunately it is often down to the guy or gal who turns up to investigate the fault.  I've had several guys who have ignored the eclipse exit test reporting a loop fault as a fault with the automatic test head because their pair quality test box found no fault.  That is ignoring that fact that a fault can be put on a line by the in bound call ringing voltage and that loop faults near the end of a circuit might only be apparent from the cab back to the subscriber.  The best I've had was a gal with an old fashioned hawk box who got a good cable length fault locate and then spent ages trying to locate it - eventually she found the right location - some muppet had previously 'bounced' the overhead drop cable over the road and back again (giving a misleading cable length).  The ungallent assist bloke left her to do the top of the pole work - an hour or more in the cold and the rain... After which I'm enjoying the best ever service at 6.5mbs on a 4+km line.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As I understand it, BTOR only do the work requested by the ISP

That's right, that's why I mentioned
faults in those locations should be the ones that diagnostic tests more often than not point out to us at an early stage

With that in mind such fault locations would normally be included in fault reports raised by ourselves so it's up to Openreach to take the reins from there and us to manage the progress of the fault to ensure those locations are checked.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Openreach service is an oxymoron (imo at least).
chrcoluk
Grafter

Thats the problem in my opinion, they only check 'if' a problem is suspected, policy also seems to vary across different areas.
Its a waste of my time to sit in waiting for an engineer who is going to do a test on his tester unit and then dissapear even tho he has an allocated 2 hours, the engineer then typically tells me the estimated speed for my line means nothing and I am to be grateful.
I would have no issue paying in advance (so you know payment is made and dont need to chase it) for a visit that guarantee's physical checks, thats what I would be paying for, they would not be dependent on the engineer been motivated to do a job.
I am sure I am not the only one that thinks this way.
But us consumers can only have what is been offered to us.
Not to mention every engineer who visits claims to have no isp notes whatsoever (no idea if they just playing dumb).
I would love to have an engineer who has specific instructions to do these checks, he cant wiggle his way out of it, he simply has to do them no questions asked.  I accept it costs money hence the idea of it been a payable service.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@chrcoluk
Looking at the specific issue I can see we've booked boost engineers for you previously. Whereas we'd not be able to do this for each and every fault we can arrange a co-op with the engineer directly as well as pass notes to them (this means they can call us if this has been arranged)
I'll see if I can get a member of our faults team to pick this up ASAP and I'll suggest moving things in that direction if another appointment is needed.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chrcoluk
Grafter

its ok Adam this thread was just for me to have a rant Smiley
I decided (and told Chris) I will let the existing issue lie now, when I originally reported my fault I was interleaved and banded lower, the line is back on fast path now so the past couple of weeks has been me trying to get my estimated speed which failed miserably, but I said I will leave it now unless my speed drops below 60mbit.