Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oh dear plusnet...

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

oh dear plusnet...

Hi,

I've been with plusnet (BB & mob) for a couple of months now and quite frankly ive had enough already!

My broadband speed is approx. 5mbps which is laughable. for the last 6 years I have changed my home phone & BB supplier every year, BT, TalkTalk, Sky, BT again, EE, and now plusnet.

The problem is that every single previous supplier has given me a download speed of approx. 10mbps.

Plusnet customer services / tech guys) have been less than useless - and that's if I can get through to them!

So, 10 months to go with a BB service that is not fit for purpose, a cust/serv dept that is similarly not fit for purpose and me & mine left looking at constant buffering when we are on YouTube or watching BBC I player.

What did I do ?

Called my bank and instructed them to cancel the DD to plusnet.   

Yes, I know PlusNet will threaten to instruct debt collectors for breach of contract, and they will likely try to re install the Direct Debit blah blah blah....

But, I care not. They (PlusNet) are NOT getting another penny out of me until they provide me with an adequate service.

36 REPLIES 36
itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Re: oh dear plusnet...

Just to add...

i'm going to ask Sky or BT to take over my service tomorrow - hopefully PlusNet will NOT block the transfer however I suspect that they probably will try to.

Either way plusnet are not getting another penny from yours truly.  

If plusnet do block my proposed transfer then so be it - they will still get sweet fanny adams from me!

Rant over guys - sorry)

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Very last post guys,

I do not understand why more folks don't just quit paying these cowboy telecoms companies that continually fail to provide an adequate service?

Frankly, it's the ONLY thing that makes them get their finger out and move to resolve issues.

Just my opinion guys - and yes I know that my way is not the way most folks go about things however my way will at least let me sleep at night. Continually paying a telecoms company for a service that they will not or cannot provide me is an absolute banker to keep me awake at night.

Graeme. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @itwashimnotme

I'm testing your broadband and I'm not seeing any issues,

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss SNR Margin Errored Seconds Hec Errors Cell Count Speed
36.5 6.1 4 N/A 408259 11396

Your connection also looks pretty stable,

Are you connecting wirelessly or wired?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Hi Anoush,

WIFI from the master socket. Wired is not feasible i'm afraid.

As a layman I don't really understand much of what your graph is showing however ALL of the various speed tests that I have conducted show a download speed of 5mbps - or just under.

That 5mbps speed is confirmed by there being a complete inability for more than one device to be connected  simultaneously without constant buffering.  

EXAMPLE; if i'm online then neither my wife nor my kids can be online simultaneously because all connections will grind to a halt leaving nothing other than buffering..

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

It's likely that the speed issues are due to the wireless connectivity, unless you're also getting slow speeds via an ethernet connection.

Here's a good guide that explains how you can help fix wireless problems: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You should be able to log into the router and see the speed that your line is sync'd at, as the speed Anoush quoted is around the 10 that you've usually experienced.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Anoush - your graph is showing my speed to be 11396 ? How can that be possible? surely wifi from the router does not loose over 50% of speed?

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

speed issues are likely due to wireless connectivity ?

Makes no sense to me. All other telecoms companies that have supplied me over the last six years have given me an actual use speed of 10mbps. Plusnet give me 5mbps - if i'm lucky.

Nothing has changed in my home that would impact on my actual speed therefore I still remain completely confused.

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Oh well, that brief interaction with plusnet staffer Anoush helped me to resolve my speed issues - NOT!.

I'm sure plusnet will get back in touch with me when the can't collect their next direct debit payment.

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

ANOUSH , ALL YOU HAVE DOWN IS STATE TWO FACTS.

FACT ONE; YOU HAVE LOOKED BUT YOU CANNOT SEE ANY PROBLEM.

FACT TWO; IT'S LIKELY THAT THE SPEED ISSUES ARE DUE TO WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY.

what on earth do those two snippets of info do to resolve my issue ? 

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Have you looked at the link @Anoush provided in message #6 in this thread?

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

Hi JayG, yes I looked but call me stupid - don't you dare) but i'm no wiser.

On reflection . . . maybe I am too stupid I guess.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

what router do you have?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
itwashimnotme
Rising Star

I just don't get how telling me that my issue is likely to be caused by wireless connectivity helps?

I don't know how to search the forum for that particular problem - I've tried though.

Similarly I have been searching the forum to find out how I can see how many other connections there are but that search comes back blank also.

I have also just being tinkering in the 'homegroup' settings - I should have left that alone tbh as I don't know what i'm doing - although I am now in a homegroup and my laptop wants to reboot.