Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie help

driftaround

newbie help

Hi all.
New to broadband, so 2 probably stoopid questions Shocked
I'm on the plusnet £9.99 per month
Do i leave the connection on, or do i treat it as i would a dial up connection, and disconnect after surfing?
All i do is use the internet, no games, music downloads etc. How many hours (roughly) usage can I expect?
I'm showing 100.00mbps. Is this normal?
Any and all help appreciated....
Thanks for your help....
Ian
7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: newbie help

Hi Ian
First there's no such thing as a stupid question only a stupid answer.
Second it's fine to leave your broadband connected all the time it won't cost any more.
Thirdly others on the forum will probably answer this. It really depends on what you view and what you download as a result.
Finally the 100mbps you are probably seeing is the speed of connection between your computer and your router viewed by selecting the Networking option of Task Manager.
Broadband over a phone line is currently up to 8Mbs.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You can leave it on all the time if you wish.
If you are using a USB modem then it will disconnect when you turn off the computer. If it is a router then it is up to you whether you turn it off or not. I leave mine on 24/7.
With regard to speed can you report your router stats - noise margin, attenuation, speed. This link should show how to get them http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
If you are only doing basic browsing and email for a short time each day then you are on the correct package and you may never exceed the 1GB allowance
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: driftaround
Do i leave the connection on, or do i treat it as i would a dial up connection, and disconnect after surfing?

Welcome Ian
If you don't leave your connection on, assuming you're using a router, you'll possibly mess up the training period that your connection goes through.
driftaround

thanks all.
Ian
hulls
Grafter

Hi
I leave my router on 24/7, but I have to reset it about once a week.  Don't know why, but if I don't I start to drop the connection between my computer and the router, until I do.
As to usage, I can't help.  I rarely check mine, and I never get any problems, but then I'm on the legacy premier account.
John
mjtuohy
Grafter

Hi and welcome to the forums.
    I am also on a legacy product and leave my router on 24/7, so I don't have to worry too much  about the D/L limits. But if you are only using browsing the Internet and not D/L lots of files or vidio you should be ok. Dont forget you can set your package to pay for  more GB as you use them.
James
Grafter

Hi Driftaround,
Welcome to the Community Site Smiley
First off, the 100Mbps connection being reported is the connection speed between your computer and your router.  nothing to do with the internet speed that you are getting.
With regards to how much you can do with 1GB, it's actually a surprisingly difficult question to answer!  Because nowadays, there are some really intensive websites.  For example, my Facebook page is about 2MB in size, whereas you can get others which are only a few KB.
Your best bet is to keep an eye on your usage and then make an educated decision as to whether or not you need to add some usage if required.