Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new router?

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

new router?

Not sure about this, and if its a router issue or not... I am using the standard plusnet router. Occ my tablet loses all connectivity to the internet, but it still connects to router. Its like it cant resolve any dns requests. It needs me to forget the wireless connetion and remake it. This usually works but last night it didnt, I rebooted the tab, remade the connection, and rebooted the router to no avail. Eventually it came back. Reason I am suspecting router is we were doing alot on internet last night. It was having to cope with downloading from sky on demand I was using my phone and wifevusing tablet, and I wonder if it can keep up. If I get a new router any recommendation, up to 50 pounds or so.
If mods need to move the thread to a more appropriate section feel free, I wasnt sure which one to post in Wink
17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: new router?

@penfold
Have you tried a factory reset on the router to see if that solves the issue?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Adam
I havnt, but it cant hurt to try....
I have been thinking of a new router for a while, anyway.  Any recommendations.  Have seen good reviews of the TP Link kit, and also Asus and draytek.  I have seen a Billion Bipac 7700 on broadband buyer for just under 50 notes.  Are these OK?
Cheers
Aggienator

Quote from: penfold

I have been thinking of a new router for a while, anyway.  Any recommendations. 

I too would be interested in recommendations due to the poor quality of the WiFi on the TG582n  Sad
Cheers Aggienator
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

ADSL or fibre?
ADSL can't comment as never really used the wifi then.
On Fibre the Netgrear N300 I used previously was a great router available for about £30 2nd hand.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Adsl mate
I will try factory reset.  Its odd it only affects tablet.. it's very much like it cant resolve dns or the firewall is blocking everything. 
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Sometimes disabling wireless n and just using wireless g can help.
Need to use telnet to do this on the TG582n:
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#wirelessn
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Will try that thanks npr. I just presumed all my kit was n compliant but I have noticed for a while that max throughput that the devices say they are connected at never exceeds 65mbps. I need to check. Tablet is a galaxy tab 2 10.1  phone is a galaxy s3mini. Laptop is am hp g61. Will let you know.
miket
Dabbler

I've had similar problems and posted about this in another thread (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120299.0.html).  Still haven't got to the bottom of it though.
I was hoping someone could recommend a rock-solid ADSL2+ Wireless router modem that could handle 10+ connected devices simultaneously, that would cost well under £100.
Mike
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks. My problem device is the tablet, and I dont think nslookup would work on android. When it happens again, the only thing I can think of is the manually put in the ip of google or something... the other thing I have noticed, not sure if it would make a difference is that wireless power saving is on in the router.  Not too sure what this does...  the tablet and mobile are both wireless n compliant,  not checked the chipset on the laptop yet. Would love a recommendation for a decent home adsl router...
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well this gets weirder 
Tonight not 15mins ago, my phone decided it would not want to access anything.  Google play, Google website, and a couple of other sites failed to load, and error was just that they timed out.
Checked the tablet, and surprisingly it was the same, random websites would not load, but the ebay app worked fine, proving connectivity to the outside world.
Switched on the laptop, to see if this was a wider issue. Once it had booted into windows, there was a yellow exclamation mark over the wireless icon in the taskbar, that persisted for around a minuite then internet access was restored as normal.
Checked the tablet, and I could access more stuff, but googles website still refused to load.  tried the phone, and the same, but google and plusnets sites refused to load up. Tried using plusnets IP, but still nothing. Cleared all the cache and data on the phone, and a few more sites came back up.
As of a couple of mins ago, everythings returned to normal.  Could this be an issue with Plusnets DNS servers at all???  or can anyone come up with an explanation? I remade the internet connection on the smartphone, but not on the tablet, probably proving this was not the issue....
Help!!!!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Tried using plusnets IP, but still nothing.

Could this be an issue with Plusnets DNS servers at all???

If connectivity by IP address doesn't work then it isn't a DNS issue.
Try connecting your laptop with an ethernet cable to rule out wireless and also try pinging an IP address (such as 8.8.8.8 ) during a period where you're having issues.
I'm assuming you've already ruled out the line dropping?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi
Didnt get a chance to try with ethernet, as connection on laptop came back up quicker than I could get cable out.
Def no disconnections during this period. With the phone and tablet doing the same thing at the same time, rather rules out an issue with the hardware dont you think?

Internet
View more...

Link Status: IPv4 connected
IPv6 disconnected
Type: PPPoA
Uptime: 9 days, 22:41:38
IPv4 Address: 80.229.156.222
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 179.06 / 2.49
I am feeling this is either a plusnet issue, or more likely a hardware issue.
the issues are more with the android devices, not sure if I can ping with them. Its odd though that the yellow exclamation mark was there. Does this mean an issue with connectivity to the router, or to the internet?
This is the wireless configuration.
Configuration

WLAN Enable: Yes
Interface Enabled: Yes
Power Reduction Enabled: Yes
Physical Address: ***************
Network Name (SSID): *****************
Interface Type: 802.11b/g/n
Actual Speed [Mbps]: 65
Band: 2.4GHz
Channel Selection: Auto
Region: Europe
Channel: 6
Allow multicast from Broadband Network: Yes
WMM: Enabled
Security

WPS Enabled: Yes
Broadcast Network Name: Yes
Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)
Security Mode: WPA-PSK
WPA-PSK Preshared Key: *************
WPA-PSK Encryption:
WPA-PSK Version: WPA&WPA2
PS when it did this tonight, I could also not access my plusnet e-mail via the tablet as well. The icon just kept spinning around.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plug a cable in the laptop and wait for the next occurrence - You need to break the problem down and see if it only affects wireless connections.  Run the ping from the wired laptop.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

OK Thanks.  Its pretty random is this, its not happened before tonight for around a couple of weeks.  Will try and connect a cable next time it happens.
There does seem to be another post on here, detailing random spikes of high latency. Wonder if this could be responsible....
Will post back with any results...
Cheers
EDIT....  Forgot to mention (my memory).  When this happens, when I try to access a webpage from the tablet or phone, the wireless light and internet light on the router flash for a couple of seconds, as it receiving or transmitting data, and the the arrows under the wireless connection on the device light up, as is sending and receiving info. When I check the wireless connection, it tells me the signal strength is very strong.  Its also odd that its always the google.co.uk site that goes first, and is always the last to return.