Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new fibre installed today download speed slow

chri5hill
Grafter

new fibre installed today download speed slow

Hi
have just had fibre extra installed this morning and everything is connected ok but upon doing a wired speed test it was still only downloading at the sped i was getting while on broadband(about 3.5MB).my upload has jumped up to about 16MB.the engiineer had the full 76MB when he plugged his gadget into the main socket.
just wondering if this is normal for a few days or do i need to raise a ticket about it
thanks
chris
42 REPLIES 42
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: new fibre installed today download speed slow

takes 10 days for your line to stabalise. You should have been told this by BTO engineer.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Check on http://speedtest.net and see what speeds you get there. There is a setting in period as was said above (I was told 5 days)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

BT Wholesale perpetuate a myth that it takes 10 days to stabilise - it doesn't.
Give it 24 to 48 hours though and check your BT line profile via the BT speedtester site and also check your Plusnet 'Current Line Speed' during this time to see if they increase.
BT will not investigate FTTC speed faults until 10 days are up but the timescale is based on ADSL not VDSL2/FTTC.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chri5hill
Grafter

thanks guys
thought it may of been something to do with line profile.thought it might of been automatically set higher than what i was getting on my broadband initially though then changed when it stabilises itself .no the bt engineer didnt say anything just advised to get in touch with plusnet
cheers
chris
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

You should be getting your speed straight away. Phone Plusnet & they'll sort it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chri5hill,
Looks like your profile on our side is now set to 77400 (not sure I've seen one that close to 80000 before!) so you should be seeing those speeds? Please let us know if not.
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi
Have done a few speed tests and am getting fluctuating download speeds of between 11 to 26Mbps and uploads of about 17-18 Mbps.thats only wireless speed tests havent done a hard wired one yet.i did see the speed test on my line when the BT engineer had his machine in it and it was reading 76Mbps at the socket.should I be expecting near to that over the next few days?
Regards
Chris
w23
Pro

Wireless can do exactly that, wired should give you a 'true' reading.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is the wireless in the PC/laptop N capable? If not that's about as fast as you will get wireless.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chri5hill
Grafter

No it's only g so I was thinking about upgrading it to an n type.will do a wired speed test and see what the results are
Regards
Chris
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi guys
just did a wired test of my connection.wow!!getting 68Mbps download.so think i might have to invest in a n-type wireless card for my laptop.Is it possible then to get that kind of speed or is it going to be less than that anyway even with a n-type card?whats the max that these cards can download wirelessly?and could anyone recommend a decent n-type wireless half card to fit in a dell studio 1537?
thanks for everyones help
regards
chris
w23
Pro

68Mb/s, mine's only 50-ish - going to sulk now  Sad
Apart from speedtests is there really much you need to do on the laptop that needs more than you get with your current wireless?
N can be a bit of a 'mixed bag' from 'n-lite' (barely better than 'g'), N150, N300, mixed technologies of spatial streams, channel bonding, mimo, 2.4GHz, 5GHz who knows what else (or what half of these mean), the final performance depends on both the router and the adaptor at the other end and possibly their compatibility at various levels (as well as interference from neighbour's wi-fi, video senders, microwave ovens?? etc.).
In my opinion, the real beauty of FTTC is the ability of all the household to get good speeds to do things at the same time without slowing each other down.
Call me 'w23'
inhost
Grafter

Sorry to tell you this but you will also have to replace the TG582N router if you want anywhere close to 80bmit over N, to be blunt it is rubbish, you will never even come close to the speed you need over wifi with that router to get 80mbit.
With wifi forget what windows tells you that you have connected at as that is only half the story, if you connect at 100mbit over wifi for example that means 50mbit for up and 50mbit for down, to get 80mbit you would need to connect at around 200 mbit allowing 10% of overhead on the encryption and sadly this router is not cabable of doing this unless you sit on top of it (even then it would not be stable)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

but you will also have to replace the TG582N router if you want anywhere close to 80bmit over N

You shouldn't actually need to do that at all but do let us know what happens with a new wireless adapter in place.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team