cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my speed

owlguard
Grafter

my speed

Smiley Hi,i live a long distance from exchange and up until recently, have used a netgear router.I have just been given the thompson 585v7 from plusnet and have set up a wireless network,to my surprise about 5 days ago,my speeds went up from maybe 1.5,the very best 2.0 when things were quiet and stable but if i switched off at all,could go down to 1.25 to 1.5,up to 3 and have been solid for days,i am shocked as ive never been in this league before,as far as i can remember.Question is,is it the thompson 585v7 whats made this possible or have the very good bt engineers here in n ireland ,been playing with the copper.Any thoughts on the modem and speeds would be appreciated.
                                                                                                  kind regards and today,up the OWLS.ray.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: my speed

You don't say which Netgear you have but the non Broadcom chipped ones aren't too good on long lines
owlguard
Grafter

Hi Oldjim,thanks for the reply.My router was a NETGEAR834GT,does that help.?regards ray.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Although that router uses the Broadcom chipset I believe that it performs better using the DGTeam firmware so it may well be that it is the router improving things
owlguard
Grafter

Thanks very much Oldjim,i just hope it stays like this and i will keep using the 585v7.Your a legend on these forums.I have been with xnet for around about 51/2years and you seem to have been on the forums forever giving your time and as far as i can see,expert knowledge and it is much appreciated by everyone,i would say.Thanks again Oldjim.regards ray.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It's chucking it down otherwise i would be out walking.
I must be degenerating into a fair weather walker (at least until I get a new waterproof jacket as my present one doesn't cope any more)
owlguard
Grafter

Smiley
    Good weather in N.I at the moment,im going to check on the chicks and maybe do i bit of rotavating,thats my exercise these days.Keep up the good work and enjoy your walking,when you get the chance,on these forums you are my old regiments motto,Nulli Secundus.regards ray.