cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my monthly contract

dbeattie21

my monthly contract

I have plusnet in my flat where I stay when I'm at university.  The flat will be unoccupied over the summer and I won't be returning in September.  It's a your way option 3 contract which I started in October '08.  Am I right in thinking there are charges which are waived if I remain in the contract for 12 months.  Or would it be better to begin the cancellation process now, and pay the £110 of cancellation fees?
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: my monthly contract

Good evening Smiley
Have you considered getting the new tenants to pay for the broadband?  Or is the flat going to be completely empty?
mal0z
Grafter

Up Late James ?
Don't PN have things in place for students that only rent properties for the normal uni year ???????
After all Uni students are the big spenders of the future - hopefully !!
See - we said 18 month contracts were not a good idea didn't we ? ...........
Lurker
Grafter

The OP *does* say that the flat will be empty all summer...
paulby
Grafter

See - we said 18 month contracts were not a good idea didn't we ?

But the OP shouldn't be on an 18 month contract - he's said he's on BBYW Option 3 which is only one month.  He would be liable for any activation costs and deferred hardware costs though plus a cessation charge but not for monthly subs till October. 
£110 seems an awful lot though - I thought it would have been £40 activation +  £20 cessation (assuming it's a cease) + £29.99 for the router = £89.99.  If the OP waits till October it should only cost him the £20 cease.
James
Grafter

I've been having a thinking about this.
Basically there's no way of avoiding the cancellation fees if you were to cancel.  But you could downgrade to Option 1 (£9.75) for the time at which the flat was empty and then upgrade it to whichever product is suitable when the flat's being used again.
Does that work out better financially?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From the first post
The flat will be unoccupied over the summer and I won't be returning in September.
paulby
Grafter

It would likely still be cheaper to move to BBYW Option 1 even if he were to cancel in October as there would be no deferred activation or hardware costs.
i.e. 4x£9.75 + £20 = £59  which is £31 cheaper than cancelling now (assuming my calculations are correct - still can't see where £110 comes from in the OP though).
James
Grafter

Activation, Hardware (when it was £50) and cease.
paulby
Grafter

In that case it's an even better solution for him - a saving of £51 Smiley
dbeattie21

Ok.  I'll just downgrade to the £9.75 a month option until the twelve months have elapsed and then cancel the contract.  I suppose I could mention to whoever might move into the flat next term whether they want to keep the internet that is already there.  Thanks eveyone!