cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my broadband conection is very slow,any ideas why?

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: my broadband conection is very slow,any ideas why?

Dropping out could indicate a wiring or interference problem, which may be why your noise margin is set high......
BTW have you looked at kitz yet? It gives a useful indication of what to expect.
Also, your attenuation of 53dB suggest you're some way from the exchange - maybe about 3 miles?
At that distance you definitely wouldn't get 8Mb, maybe half that if you're lucky, more likely 3Mb or 3.5Mb. More than now, but not massively so.....
brettking24
Grafter

its more the conection dropping thats the problem
paulby
Grafter

Have you tested your connection with the router plugged into the master socket via a filter (with no extension leads connected)? If it's an NTE5 type, remove the bottom half and use the socket that's revealed.  If it's not, make sure that you disconnect all your phones and Sky boxes etc. and then test at the master socket.
On that note: have you a microfilter plugged in everywhere that you have a phone/Sky box/dial-up modem etc. connected? 
Is your router on the end of an extension lead?
Also have a look at this article
brettking24
Grafter

yes im suing a filter and have had the same problen plugging it into the master socket Sad
paulby
Grafter

If you've tried everything in the article that I linked to (including trying an alternative router which PN can loan to you if you can't lay your hands on one) then you should probably raise a faullt at faults.plus.net.
James
Grafter

Hi Brett,
Essentially you don't have a speed problem.  You have an intermittent connection problem that's causing your speeds to suffer.
Raise a fault via the suggested link and we'll run some checks for you.
brettking24
Grafter

i have gone through the fault checker for both speeds problems and conection problems.waiting on some help or a answer,somthing isnt right thats for sure,as you can imagine im not happy as im paying £30 for a very slow conection.
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  Full quote of preceding post removed, please read the link:rules ]
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I appreciate what you're saying, but unfortunately broadband can be as frail as what you are experiencing.
Either way, we'll crack on with the investigation and see if there's anything that we can spot and then raise it with BT as required.