cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my actual broadband speed

yamoah

my actual broadband speed

when i connect to the broadband  it comes up that am connected at 5.2mpbs but when i conduct a speed test with plusnet speed test  tool  or other tools all that come up is a download speed of 966kbps(120.8kb/s) and an upload speed of 382kbps(47.8kb/s).
Please can you  tell me what could be going wrong.
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: my actual broadband speed

what does this give as current broadband speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Because you have only recently been upgraded to the IPStream Max, we haven't yet received any speed updates from BT.  Your speeds should increase within the first ten days of being placed on this product.  Keep rebooting onj a daily basis and you should see an increase in speed.
yamoah

this is what i when i run the bt speedtest tool.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5696 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 0 kbps

ave been running the test for a couple of times and this is all that comes up.Tried to go on to the next step but the page always closes.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Well that doesn't look right. I'm going to see if there is anything obvious on your account, if not it'll be a fault raised.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lowden
Grafter

Mine's even worse! The connection speed page says 'Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps' (the exchange is round the corner), but the Plusnet speed test never seems to give me more than 1300kbps over months.
lowden
Grafter

I just tried now (11pm, Friday night)
Router says sync speed is 8098
Plusnet connection details  says 'Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps'
Exchange rate checker says I should get ADSL Max broadband line rate of 7.5Mbps
The BT speedtest was:
IP profile for your line is 7000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was 5028 kbps
Whereas The Plusnet bandwidth speed test said it was 1283.5 kbps
And that 'mybroadbandspeed' site said it was 1524 kbps (190.5 KB/s) download, 378 kbps (47.3 KB/s) upload
I can sort of understand the fall-off from 8k to 5k what with contention and line issues etc, but the additional drop to around 1.5 and 1.2 seems a lot, especially since the Plusnet one shows my speed in terms of what their range of products, clearly showing me down among the slowcoaches!
Pegasus56
Grafter

Think Yourself Lucky!
I just noticed My connection was going a bit slow, so i did a test (on Speedtest.net), Here is what it said:
Download: 356KB/S
Upload: 50Kb/s
Latency: 858ms
My (usual) average is/was:
Download: @6200Kb/s
Upload: 381Kb/s
Latency: 56ms
I think plusnet/FOL (or BT) must be having problems? Huh Undecided
gmsmalley
Dabbler

I'm having similar problems.  My exchange is 2.3 miles away and yet the max speed I get is 347.5kbps (according to the plus.net speed checker).
The BT speedtest fails with the error:
"The IP address discovered on the network associated with your telephone number:01179******, did not match the one we have logged from this browser/connection. Please check your telephone number and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP."
Yet plus.net seem to be having problems doing anything about it because I am required to provide 3 speed checks from the BT checker...
dkleeman

My router is connecting at 448000 UP and 1856000 DOWN. I am not seeing my downloads speeds ever go above 1000 Kbps, whatever type of traffic I use (VPN, web, whatever).
It really looks like I am capped at all times of the day, and I am not aware of having my wrists slapped for over-usage.
Is anyone else experiencing this, or do I have a technical problem?
Daniel
dkleeman

Well, I am not sure what you mean by modem stats, but my SNR margin is 14.5 and my loop att. is 32.0. VPI=0, VCI=38 Enc=VC MUX, Protocol=PPoA, Modulation=G.DMT. Router is a Draytek 2800 2.7.1.
I am definitely connecting straight into a master socket.
Daniel
dkleeman

Interesting. We have had line noise in the past, but none today. I will keep an eye on this and report it if we get it again. The speedtester.bt.com is telling me that my IP profile "Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 1250 k" even though the DSL connection has risen to "DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2496 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)"
I can change filter, but not today.
Daniel
James
Grafter

Hi Daniel,
If you maintain those synchronisation speeds, then your IP Profile would be set to improve to 2000Kbps, giving throughput speeds of 1500-1800Kbps.