cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple ?'s speed/usage/definitions...

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

multiple ?'s speed/usage/definitions...

OK, after the addition of a faulty Home Signal box from 3, I've been more aware of things than I normally would be and it's raised some questions -
Over night speeds seem to have plummeted to the point where downloading of games fail - any thoughts?
My daily usage on Sunday was an unheard of 14.63GB  Shocked and in an attempt to find out why, I found the page which gives a break down of usage - it says 43% is peer to peer but I have no idea what that actually means  Embarrassed  Others were web @ 36% and others at 1% - whatever others is??
Two things have changed - my son has downloaded Netflix - could it be that? The 3 Home Signal box which is faulty and is to be replaced, but it claimed to use very little bandwidth in it's introductory booklet?
For those who don't know, the home signal box is connected to the router and should give great signal in an otherwise duff area.
Windows 7, Thompson router, main pc connected by cable & the rest by Wi-Fi (including the PC that is downloading the games & has Netflix) 
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: multiple ?'s speed/usage/definitions...

Quote from: stewarta13wsb
Over night speeds seem to have plummeted to the point where downloading of games fail - any thoughts?

I don't know the details of every Plusnet plan, but most speeds are unrestricted between midnight and 8 a.m.
it says 43% is peer to peer but I have no idea what that actually means

It usually means file-'sharing' using torrent sites, I think.  This is a popular means of getting hold of copyrighted material like music and movies.  Your Plusnet allowance counts what you upload as well as download so if you have torrent software installed it may be busy uploading and using-up your allowance, even if you are not actively downloading.

my son has downloaded Netflix - could it be that?

Yes, but I would have though a movie would not average more than 1GB.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Thanks for that, further research.... a new game of my son's called Aion by NCSoft came with a package called Pando Media Booster, which it said would speed up the game! His computer was on for 4 hours yesterday (although the game isn't fully downloaded yet) ... I wonder what the hell it was doing for 4 hours to use up 43GB?????????
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

[quote=http://www.pandonetworks.com/products/pando-media-booster]Pando Media Booster reduces the amount of traffic on CDNs thus reducing cost and increasing reliability through the usage of the Peer Cloud for content delivery.
"Peer Cloud" - that's P2P.
It will be uploading like crazy. This page might help: http://boards.lineage2.com/showthread.php?t=229936&page=8
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Thanks for that - deleted!
Lesson learned (although who would expect a responsible gamer to add that into their download?) it's deleted, but my quota for this month is shot  Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Don't forget to set your extra spend to zero or a bit more if you are feeling generous
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

if its a PC game use Gamebooster to help  Wink
http://download.cnet.com/Razer-Game-Booster/3000-18512_4-10913645.html
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .