more realistic usage limits?

notheruser
Grafter

Re: more realistic usage limits?

Quote from: joncooper
Quote from: notheruser
YouTube and MySpace - enough said!

yeah, fancy actually wanting to USE the internet

Last time I looked, there was a lot more to the internet than just YouTube and MySpace!  Smiley
My point was, if you're wondering where all your bandwidth usage is going, look no further than these sites. Read my earlier post about our work experience of them. They, and a few other sites, account for a very high proportion of bandwidth usage.
joncooper
Grafter

you're right, there is a lot more to the internet than just YouTube and MySpace - but they are part of it
I don't dispute that those sites account for a very high proportion of bandwidth usage, my problem, and the reason for this thread, is that they (and others like them) are part of the "normal use internet" now,  I can understand an ISP moaning about high P2P use, which is why I don't do it, I don't do gaming, VOIP, SkyPE, UseNet, FTP, etc a whole lot either
Over the last 6ish years Plus.net have variously been one of the very best ISPs and one of the lowest on the list too, but in all that time they have never restricted me for normal everyday web usage
I am having to ask my kids not to use the sites that all their mates are, when I explain they instantly ask me "can we change to another ISP then?" - "my mate is with AOL(  Shocked ), they never moan at him" - I don't WANT to even think about it, but I'm starting to wonder what choice I have - I really could understand it if we were torrenting films and music all day long, but this is just standard web browsing.
I know plus.net won't care if I go, but I feel that I'm loosing something, the only other time I have considered leaving was in the brief period between the announcement that everyone was going to be moved to Tiscali LLU & the decision to allow an 'opt-out'
I am tied here untill October as I (foolishly) took up an offer last Oct (assuming, since things had been ok for 5 years I'd be happy for another 12 months) but I will be using that time to look at other providers with products more suited to my usage .. ie a family of 5 surfing the net
James
Grafter

Actually, we would care if you left.
We always hate to see our customers leaving and we do try to do whatever we can to make sure that any concerns are squashed wherever possible.
Unfortunately we can't justify offering additional usage making it an unprofitable product, all we can do is tell you why we charge what we do and why we do things our way.
Roll on 21CN pricing.
joncooper
Grafter

thanks James, I know I'm being a bit moany but it really is just web use
off to find out what "21CN pricing" is all about
[mutters] if it was up to me, I'd scrap ID cards and spend the money on fiber-optic, blimmin government ...
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I've just had a quick look at AOL, and PlusNet seem to be better value.  I may have missed something on there site, but the product I looked at is £14.99 for a 10Gb package *if* you are on one of there LLU exchanges, else it is £19.99.  For £19.99 PlusNet will allow you 20Gb Peak Time usage.  Also with AOL you are tied into an 18month contract.  This would lead me to suspect that their mate is paying more for there broadband than you are, which is why they can use more.
As I have said, I've only had a very quick look at what AOL can offer, so might have missed some cheaper, better value products from them, but if I have they are not making them overly easy to fine.
My personal experience of AOL is slow connections and poor customer services.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Each MySpace home page has a music player in it.  I'm willing to bet people keep those pages open in the background to listen to the music.  I certainly do.  That much ramp up a lot of usage over time.
I also noticed that looking at my facebook profile page the other day, that it's was over 3meg in size.  Ouch.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

*I say 'apparently', as I have no way of checking these figures

Your router may provide cumulative data sent/received figures.
You may wish to consider a software meter on your PC so that you can gather statistics (I am unclear if your family is sharing one PC or a number of separate ones. Obviously if several computers each would need to be monitored and the results merged). For example, DU Meter is available for 30 days free trial (http://www.dumeter.com/) and is not expensive if you choose to buy. I trialled an earlier version but did not buy only because I moved to a router that provided enough information for my needs.
Do you have a decent software firewall on your computer(s)? If so its log files may provide useful information to help find out where the usage is going.
I use my computer heavily for browsing / message boards / audio streaming and get by with a few GB per month excluding iPlayer / 4oD. If I get close to using my allowance for the month I set off downloads off-peak to watch during the day - remembering to block Kontiki to avoid files being uploaded from my computer during chargeable periods!!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: alanf
For example, DU Meter is available for 30 days free trial (http://www.dumeter.com/) and is not expensive if you choose to buy.

DU Meter is very, very expensive compared to NetMeter which looks remarkably similar!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
peaksoft
Grafter

This is an issue that concerns me.
We have a house on a cabled street, and have Virgin's service, and watch about two hours of streamed catch-up television every night, as well as updating a big, media-rich website. The Virgin service is absolutely faultless.
However, we also have a flat in a non-cabled town, so we plumped for Plusnet because of the good service reports.  I'll be activating the service when we go there tomorrow night.

I'm very apprehensive about possible limitations in terms of both quality and quantity of use, but there's no real answer, is there, until someone develops a better service delivery medium for non-cable areas?
joncooper
Grafter

thanks everyone for suggestions
@pjmarsh: yikes, I didn't mean I'd move to AOL! just that was the comment, I'd only ever touch AOL if the only other option was Tiscali
@alanf: sure I mentioned it earlier, but 4 seperate PCs (well 2 are laptops) and not nearly enough disclipline to merge data from all 4 very often - router does seem to have some previosly unexplored areas though, thanks
@jelv: been using Netmeter since I saw it in another thread here, not sure it'll be much help though (see^)
@Kelly: I thik it's a fair bit of what you've seen and a lot of use of one particular website that I only found out about today (<a href="http://www.watchtvsitcoms.com/ ">watchtvsitcoms</a>) - apparently my daughter and her BF have been streaming TV / films / etc night after night for hours on end - I'm blocking it at router level untill my next billing period then I'll restrict access to knwn times / duration - see how that goes
@plus.net: uh ... sorry  Embarrassed - while I do still see it as browsing (ish) I'm finding it hard to see much difference between torrenting a film and watching it via streaming, I'm even wondering if streaming uses more bandwidth than torrenting
anyone know/care to guess? from a bandwidth perspective, would a torrent of a 1.5 hour film use less BW than 1.5 hours watching it as a streamed video?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Streaming is frequently at a small size and not particularly good quality so that it would work using around 1MB - certainly watching video off the BBC uses only a small fraction of my bandwidth. I'm guessing a torrent download will be higher resolution/better quality so, yes it would use a lot more bandwidth.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Presumably you could usually arrange for the download to be at an off-peak time, so not impacting your allowance? Streaming by definition happens as you watch.
joncooper
Grafter

this seems to be full screen and reasonable quality - in fact I'm suspicious about the full legality, there seems to be a lot of current stuff
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@pjmarsh: yikes, I didn't mean I'd move to AOL! just that was the comment, I'd only ever touch AOL if the only other option was Tiscali
If that was the choice I think I'd got for carrier pigeon!
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zubel
Community Veteran

Sounds like RFC 1149
Grin
B.