cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem advice

chopper79

modem advice

hi, i have just signed up for plusnet broadband and its due to be active in a couple of days but i didnt get a modem as i have come from bt buisness and already have a BT2700HGV which i was hoping would work. my question is, do i have to do anything with the modem or do i just plug it in and wait for it to go live. when i plug it in now all the lights are green except for the internet light which is red (sorry if im asking obvious questions but im a noob with all this). i dont even know how to get into my modem settings so advice with this would help if needed. i am online at the moment using a dongle. can i access the settings through the browser if i cant use the modem in the first place. i hope that all makes sense and any help would be really appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
andy020
Grafter

Re: modem advice

Hi here are the broadband setting that are required for plus net residential..  the main section you need to focus on is broadband connection settings.
These are the settings rquired for the router to connect to plus net
http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/settings.shtml?supporta=featconnsett
Usual way to access a router.. would be 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.0.1for general routers, 192.168.1.254 for bt hubs, you put either one of these IPs into the browser search bar (addressbar) works for I.E, or firefox not sure about the other browsers Smiley hope i helped abit...
Various passwords and usernames can be
username:admin/password: admin
username:admin/<leavepassword blank>
username:admin/password: password
Here is a site with additional information about the modem you posted with details on how to change the settings etc..
http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/063.htm
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Log on to the router in a browser, using http://192.168.1.254/ Click on "Settings", then "Broadband". You should then be on "Link Configuration".
Enter your Plusnet username and password/confirm password. All other settings should be OK. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you'll see a "Save" button, click it. You'll then be prompted for the router password. The default password for the BT Business Hub is the 12 digit serial number - depending on the model there may be a surplus "R" at the end of the SN field, which is not part of the password. Enter that, and click "Submit". If all is well, you'll get "Configuration Successful", and you'll be online.
If the router password has been changed, click on "I forgot the password". You should get a password hint. If not, or the hint doesn't help, click on "I still can't remember the password". This will take you to another page which asks for the WEP key, and a new password between 8-12 characters. When you have reset the password you'll have to go back to the beginning and repeat the process.
NB: I don't know if these routers work on Plusnet without modification - the sites mentioned in previous posts may help if that's the case.
(ETA more info)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Hi chopper79,
Jaggies is almost correct in that all you need to do is enter your plusnet username/password. The problem with the 2700HGV(Business Hub) is that it is normally 'locked' to BT and will not accept your PlusNet details via the 'normal' configuration screens. The tripod site http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm gives all the details on how to get past the 'locking'. First thing you need to do is establish what firmware your 2700 is running as the methods to bypass the locking are different. The tripod site has all the information you need but if you have trouble then post back here.
BTW I've used a 2700 on PlusNet for a couple of years now and they are excellent routers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chopper79

hi, thanks for your replys, i feel like you have armed with the tools to do the job. this is the first time i have signed in since i posted as ive been working a lot so havent had the chance to try them yet. will let you know if i succeed. thanks
chopper79

hi, followed your advice and that info on tripod and all is good. using my bt modem now. thanks for all your help. Cheesy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Glag you're up and running. The tripod site is 'the' place to go for info on the 2700 and should be your first port of call for any questions. If you have any queries that aren't answered there then you can, obviously, try here OR there is a sub board on the Idnetters forum http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=9f5354dae65921f6528715e2025048b2&board=25.0 with a few experts lurking to help out.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.