Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maxed- yesterday

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

maxed- yesterday

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was maxed yesterday ,and my speed was 470 James altered my profile and I had a stable 940 all day . I reconected this morning and am back to 470 can you do as you did yesterday
I rather wish I had left it on all night

System Up Time 00:31:58
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 5554 6080 0 328 2857 00:30:30
LAN 10M/100M 6520 6035 0 2872 413 00:31:54
WLAN 11M/54M 78 0 0 5 0 00:31:45

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1408 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 11 db

A decent and improved connection speed but my speed on the speed tester still shows around 460  470
Am I understanding this properly ?? What should I expect ?? the line so far has been stable
Can you please re-profile me and will not switch off again
Thanks E
69 REPLIES 69
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: maxed- yesterday

Profiling is an automatic process that cannot be 'fixed' for BT connections. If the exchange determines a lower profile is necessary it will set it and inform PN, it does not work the other way around.
The 10 day training period for Max is there for a reason and during this time speeds will fluctuate while the exchange determines the most appropriate throughput (IP profile) for your line. You have to wait for this trialling period to complete (plus a few days) and only then can you report speed issues that BT will investigate.
We all had to go through this process and there is no quick fix!!
stathe
Rising Star

Whilst I am sure you are right ,yesterday James did something which on re-connection doubled my speed, quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there,
Because our profiles don't update in real time, I've just updated this to 1000Kbps for you.
Given the distance you are from the exchange, I wouldn't realistically expect you to get much more than this.
You'll need to reboot your router for these changes to take affect.

Kind regards, James Bailey
Plusnet Comms Team
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I've replied to your ticket.  I hope the information is useful.
stathe
Rising Star

Thank you,  but it was fine yesterday and things are just the same
Regards E
James
Grafter

That doesn't change the fact that your profile is 250Kbps lower than it was when we were speaking yesterday.
stathe
Rising Star

I presume the profile is the connection speed and yesterday it was 1408 and to-day 1376 and that is only 32 lower, not 250. regards E
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No that is your sync speed - the speed your router connects to the exchange. Your profile is what is shown under connection settings -> high speed broadband on the portal and determins the allowable data transfer speed on the connection.
Sounds like your profile was 1250 but has reduced to 1000 due to you syncing lower than previously. Details here and the new rates not in that table are detailed here.
Also these:
1152 sync gives 1Mbps profile
1440 sync gives 1250 profile
1728 sync gives 1500 profile
2016 sync gives 1750 profile
2272 sync gives 2000 profile
James
Grafter

Will
Grafter

Your profile will only match your sync speed after x time stability.
The BT engineer told me that it's normally 24 hours....I don't know how much truth there is in this.
My example was, I was syncing at 960Kbps and I knew this was wrong, so BT came out and fixed it, and I started to sync at 6000Kb/s (5890 to be precise).
However, for the next 12 hours or so I was still downloading as if I was on 1Mb, this is because the profile had not increased.
Or at least, I believe this was the case.
stathe
Rising Star

So I should leave it uninterupted for as long as I can,rather than fiddle with the socket etc.?? I do find it hard to accept that it was better on day one untiI I switched it off, I have had no line drops and ,the connection is rock solid. other than my own interferance.
Leave it on and I wont see an improvement on reconnection,
Switch it off and it may reconnect slower
Bit of a no win situation
Zathras
Grafter

With those line stats I would have stayed on a fixed rate connection.
stathe
Rising Star

My fixed connection was 512 so anything I get better than that will be a plus, so I thought it worth trying, I have little knowledge of these things.All help and comments apreciated
Would normaly get "a man " to see to such things , but have found some so called local experts ,know little more than I do.
These forums , the help line, and kitz are great for advice and help A man trying to sell me  tiscali didnt know of such a term as Max recently
Will
Grafter

I find leaving the router on is best.
Why?
Well, basically, when your in your 10 day training period, what the line is doing is increasing and decreasing your speed until it finds the lowest possible number of faults for your line.
It then sets this as your IP profile meaning your line will sync at or around this speed.
Now, this can be over-ridden with woosh tests and such.
However, it is easier to simply just allow your line to stabilise correctly.
If you are unplugging and rebooting etc. you will probably be causing errors. Errors that do not need to be there and as a result will end up with a lower ip profile than you should.
stathe
Rising Star

Well this is contrary to the advice on the Plusnet help , but seems like a good idea