Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mail send problem : 550 relay not permitted

Stuart22
Grafter

mail send problem : 550 relay not permitted

Hi
My landlord at my secondary residence has changed ISP from BT Broadband to Sky Broadband. I am now finding that sending email through relay.plus.net now fails with an undeliverable, the message in which is 550 relay not permitted
I can receive OK.
The Outlook 2003 test account settings finds the SMTP server but fails to send the test email, asking to verify the email addess field.
Is this a particular problem with relay.plus.net not accepting emails from the Sky network, I wonder. Like I said it worked fine from BT and also O2 broadband, with the SMTP server set to not requiring authentication (though it will not accept the authentication if I do tick that checkbox)
Stuart
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: mail send problem : 550 relay not permitted

Hi Stuart,
As you're on Sky Broadband you will only be able to use our relay server if you set authentication to yes, and this will only work if you are on a subscription account with us. If we didn't have these measures in place our mail servers would be 'open relays' and very very easy for abuse by spammers.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Stuart22
Grafter

Thanks Chris. Any reason it works OK with O2 and BT Broadband?
Stuart
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

BT Broadband works because of the Plusnet PAYG users on the RIN trial. We get BT IP addresses so the BT ranges had to be allowed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)