Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low BRAS profile

SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

low BRAS profile

Hi,
I know most people probably connect at a consistent enough speed that they don't take much notice of this, but why do Plus.net seem to be so slow updating the BRAS profile?
My line has been playing up recently but by keeping an eye on it I've managed to prevent it being connected at a low speed long enough for BT to raise my BRAS profile, but once again (this happens to me A LOT) Plus.net's version is trailing behind.
This is now the second day in a row that I've got this result from speedtester.bt.com
Download speedachieved during the test was - 605 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2943 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2596 Kbps
Plus.net have my "High Speed Broadband" set to 0.75Mbps
Do Plus.net have to implement their own version? Can't they rely on BTs?
If not, could they invest a bit of money in developing a system that works?
Normally my profile flip flops between 2000Kbps and 2500Kbps. It's annoying when it goes to 2000Kbps but I'm pretty used to it. But now I'm getting 750Kbps it's getting rather annoying that Plus.net system isn't updating.
I know (and am sort of counting on) that often there are some kind Plus.net employees browsing the forums that see posts like this and nudge people's profiles, but should we have to? Can't they at least create a button in the Member Centre somewhere that allows us to trigger the bump (even if they put a timer on it or something to stop abuse/unnecessary traffic)?
Sorry for the rant, it's just getting a bit frustrating trying to do much at 750Kbps. How did we cope on dial up!!!?
(And yes I appreciate there are people that may still be getting 750Kbps or close to it as the best they can hope for and I feel sorry for them).
10 REPLIES 10
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: low BRAS profile

Can't they at least create a button in the Member Centre somewhere that allows us to trigger the bump (even if they put a timer on it or something to stop abuse/unnecessary traffic)?

1)That would create hundreds of people mashing the magic button rather than logging a fault.
2) im pretty sure their profile update requires information from BT, which can take hours for the report' (dont forget, they have to tell every customer, to every ISP)
If not, could they invest a bit of money in developing a system that works?

The system does work, its just slow (up to 3 days) but thats BT's DLM system, and thats how it works. Once BT is updated, its only about 12 hours (max normally)
but once again (this happens to me A LOT) Plus.net's version is trailing behind.

is normal.
The thing is, the profile shouldnt be taking this dramatic drop. Perhaps its worth looking into fault procedures to find out whats actually causing the crap profile being applied in the first place.
Regards
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Yeah, I've raised a fault report and there is an engineer coming out to look at the fault with our internal wiring. which I can only guess is occurring between the test socket and the master socket as I've had it plugged into the master socket while the problem (which causes a drop in SNR (and thus sync speed) while connected to the master socket. But Plus.net were insistent that it's an internal wiring fault so it'll be interesting to see quite where that is when the engineer arrives.
I think it's been at least 24 hours now since BT updated their BRAS profile, well 24 hours since I checked and found that BT had set it to 2596Kbps, they may have done it a while before that. I've noticed Plus.net being 2-3 days behind normally. As I say normally it's not so bad so I live with it, it's just particularly annoying now.
It seems to be an annual occurrence that I get an internal line fault that causes me issues but that the engineer has to fix stuff that's not located on our property (I'm obviously misunderstanding the meaning of "internal wiring fault"). The problem never seems to get totally fix and each time i'm left with a slightly slower connection than before (I think my sync speed has dropped by about 500-750Kbps in the last few years following faults being 'fixed'. I'm just getting sick of the annual fault occurrence (although this years seems to be different and they say a change is as good as a rest, but they're wrong in this instance!)
So I do apologise if I'm being snippy, it's not intended to be directed at anyone, it's just frustration at the situation.
matt_2k34
Grafter

So I do apologise if I'm being snippy, it's not intended to be directed at anyone, it's just frustration at the situation.

Understandable! Smiley
But Plus.net were insistent that it's an internal wiring fault so it'll be interesting to see quite where that is when the engineer arrives.

To be fair, the reason they do that is because if BT turn up, and they just unplug any of your equipment and put theirs in, it works then its a £90 + vat bill. they're just doing their bit to ensure that you dont get a nasty suprise.
If it recurrs even after they've fixed it - then obviously its something else, Badgering BT is the only way with persistently intermittant faults Smiley
Regards
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

At the moment if you get an "odd" BT profile if seems it's Plusnet that takes days to match it if at all. If you're getting the usual profile it's BT that takes days.
Meanwhile the users are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Sounds like I am getting an "odd" profile (i.e. now 2000Kbps, 2500Kbps or 3000Kbps) so that's not good...
Could it be because I'm on ADSL2?
It's not been 24hours but I ran the speed test again.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 596 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3069 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2707 Kbps
Plus.net still say it's 750Kbps, so even web browsing it taking ages (especially navigating the Plus.net website).
billnotben
Community Veteran

"IP Profile for your line is - 2707 Kbps" Things are changing at BT's end so sometimes you get that instead of the usual 2000 2500 3000 etc.
My experience of it is that Plusnet are slower than the supposed 12 hours max at matching it if they do at all. Then after a week or so BT will drop your line and you will find yourself back on the normal profiles. You will still be waiting though.
Then after another week or so the merry go round starts again.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Why not ring the CSC and ask the agent to change your Plusnet Current line speed profile to 2500 to match the IP profile shown for over 24 hours by the BT speedtester?
If they change that your PPP connection to Plusnet will probably drop and reconnect (this is needed to give you the higher speeds) but sync with the exchange shouldn't be lost.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The BT reporting site is showing your profile as 750 and has been since the 25th June I'm afraid. Unfortunately because the connection is still as intermittent as it is there's not a lot of point in trying to remedy that as things stand, though I'll nudge our faults team for you to get you an update on there.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Then after a week or so BT will drop your line and you will find yourself back on the normal profiles. You will still be waiting though.

Thats because PNs change wont take affect until you drop the PPP session (not sync) and reconnect.
Hopefully, Matts nudge will manage to get something sorted.
Intermittant faults are horrible, it took us 6 years of pestering, to get rid of an intermittant fault (If it rained, you could guarantee speed would be shite. Yet BT would never send an engineer in the rain.. he might get wet...  Roll_eyes ;D)
Regards
billnotben
Community Veteran

Thats because PNs change wont take affect until you drop the PPP session (not sync) and reconnect.

Of course but that's not what I was referring to.