Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loss of synchronisation

vlb
Dabbler

loss of synchronisation

Hi
I just wanted to share the problems i have been having lately with my internet quality.  I started having completly random disconnects just before xmas, as i use my internet alot it really got to beyond a joke, i would get 5 - 6 a night then it would be ok for a couple of days then back to being crap.
I logged a support ticket with f9 and they duly asked me to make sure that i didnt have anything in my master socket etc (the only think that has ever been in my master socket is my rj11 cable) they did a line test and found nothing wrong. because i work in IT i know how important it is to rule out hardware problems when troubleshooting so i bought a new router/microfilters and the problem continued, the good thing about my new router is that it allows me to view the logs, those pointed to a loss of synch as the reason for my d/c.  after i gave f9 my logs they did another line test and found a "major problem" which they then passed to BT, BT did a line test and found nothing!!!! F9 said that if BT came to the house and found a problem with my wiring they would charge me £140, naturally i want this problem fixed so i agreed and provided them with the requested 3 available times and dates for BT to come around. 1 week later (and 3 mornings off work) i am still waiting on any kind of contact from BT.
I am not blaming F9 for this farce in anyway as i know the line and any problems related to it are not their responsibility and i have been a F9 customer for 5 years and never had a problem (which is why i have recommended 6 people to them in that time, nice saving on my bill)
has anyone else had these problems with BT, the thing with BT in my area is that they are the only telephone provider which means we have no alternative which in turn means they can provide a second rate service and get away with it.
Our town is served by just the 1 exchange and my friend who is with sky has also had the same problems with his connection, its blatently BT's problem but i think they will try and put this down to a problem with the wiring in my house!! (of course the 3 meters of wire in my house all sealed and water tight is the problem as opposed to the mile of cable outside getting hammered by rain wind and snow)
sorry for the rant but i am xxxxxxx sick of British Telecom.....and they just bought F9 oh great.
21 REPLIES 21
samuria
Grafter

Re: loss of synchronisation

I have had similar problems in the past and found if you go onto BT sites and do a phone check it normally finds the fault and then BT seem to respond quicker than if you phone them.
Link

Moderators note by Roger (rogerloxton) Fixed link as it was stretching the screen too far.
vlb
Dabbler

19 sync losses in one day, absolutly pathetic.
thanks for the link mate, followed it through....will see what happens
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Can I just say that I recently had a loss of voice (but not the broadband on the same line). I reported this on the bt.com website in the morning and was fixed in the afternoon.
I was given a call divert to my mobile and I know it's popular to bash BT - but I've always had excellent service from them - ever since the days when they were the GPO. I'm probably just lucky  Roll_eyes

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

prichardson
Grafter

Records show that no appointment was booked for your fault.
I can see you supplied dates for the appointment on the 11th, however you asked a number of questions at the same time that would have impacted our ability to book the appointment, such as when would charges be applied.
As such, no appointment would be processed until we are satisfied that you confirm such charges may be applied and agree to them.
Right now, we are still awaiting information about your availability, so an engineer can be arranged for you, as the original dates have now passed.
vlb
Dabbler

sorry but this is my reply on my ticket
"Hi
thanks for your update
I am available on 14th jan AM, 15th jan AM and 16th jan AM.
This cannot be caused by equipment at my house, i have bought a diffrent router, i have borrowed a router from work and i have tried 3 diffrent adsl filters. If BT come out to my house and claim that it its the wiring in my house and charge me for the visit will my money be refunded if the problem still continues?Huh
One last thing, on your second test it shows as a major fault being found, it seems to point to
"Major Findings DSL Fault identified. Bearer fault (HR joint)/RF2, possible CPE or Line card."
What is the fault that is being described here? if this is not a BT fault (or fault on the line) then what is a "bearer Fault" and CPE or Line Card.
Thanks again
Martyn"
although i cant quite understand how you fail to spot my readyness to move forward given the three dates i provided this is neither here nor their.
as i explained in my first post i lay none of the blame for this technical crap at f9's door (70 disconnects in the last 12 hours is pathetic beyond beleif but i know Bt deal with the hardware etc) but now your customer service is becoming poor, if you were not able to book these dates then you should have contacted me and that would have stopped me taking 3 mornings of work!! 7 days later i have to contact you to chase up both you and Bt, and that is unnaceptable customer service regardless of what profession you are in.
""Right now, we are still awaiting information about your availability, so an engineer can be arranged for you, as the original dates have now passed.""
yes you asked me this morning...7 days after the last 3 i gave you and only after i send 3 emails asking if BT or yourself were ever going to do something!!!!!!!!!!!
Please provide an explanation.
prichardson
Grafter

If BT come out to my house and claim that it its the wiring in my house and charge me for the visit will my money be refunded if the problem still continues?Huh

This is the part of the reply within the ticket that my colleague quite rightly answered for you, and refrained from booking the appointment as a result of this.
It had nothing to do with not being able to book, as at that moment in time, we were indeed quite capable of doing so.
Were questions remain outstanding about the charges, certainly so in your own response as noted in full, we would take this to mean that the customer does not currently agree to them.
These are high charges and we are quite right to ensure that the customer is aware and willing to accept them, should they prove to be in the customer domain.
OK, this may be seen as a level of back covering out our part, but you can hardly blame us.
prichardson
Grafter

I have booked the appointment for you now as per the ticket and confirmation of the times can be found there.
vlb
Dabbler

look i understand that you dont want to rush to book an engineer everytime someone complains about their broadband (you only have to look through these forums to realise it would cost you a packet) but i still dont accept that you didnt contact me to confirm.  It is your business to serve your customers and not mine to chase you up.
if you were unsure you should have contacted me, it is just poor service. At the moment you are on the butt end of my frustration and you shouldnt be, your tech staff have been great over the 6 years or so i have been a customer but on the subject of this booking you havent, but one mistake in 6 years isnt bad.
The one and only reason i have been so loyal to force 9 is their customer service, i have friends who are with Sky, Tiscali etc who pay less for the same service i get but once a problem occurs it is plain to see why i pay that little extra.
All i want is some movement towards diagnosing this problem, i have done everything possible from my end to help (2 new routers, 2 new microsfilters) and still 70 d/c in 12 hours so it is plain to see that something is wrong elsewhere.
Thanks

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi vlb,
Sorry about the hassle over this. As per Phil's latest update to your ticket he's booked an engineer visit for you tomorrow morning betwen 8 and 1 and unfortunately we won't be able to get any further information from BT until this has completed.
I realise we should have called to ask you regarding the possibilities of engineer charges and apologise that we didn't, I'll have a word with the agent concerned.
Hope that helps,
vlb
Dabbler

Quote from: orbrey
Hi vlb,
Sorry about the hassle over this. As per Phil's latest update to your ticket he's booked an engineer visit for you tomorrow morning betwen 8 and 1 and unfortunately we won't be able to get any further information from BT until this has completed.
I realise we should have called to ask you regarding the possibilities of engineer charges and apologise that we didn't, I'll have a word with the agent concerned.
Hope that helps,

Thanks orbrey
Like i said...in 6 years i have had 1 gripe.....not a bad record atall.
cheers
vlb
Dabbler

engineer was out yesterday (decent bloke to be fair) said he replaced some equipment at the exchange, ran all his tests and they were fine. whilst he was here it failed 7 times and has continued to do so since.
i aquired another router (4th since problem started) and still it happens.
new router new description from logs
1/21/2008 10:4:24> ADSL disconnected
1/21/2008 10:4:25> PPP1 Session is down.
1/21/2008 10:4:25> NAT/NAPT Session Stop: interface ppp1
1/21/2008 10:4:25> NAT/NAPT: mcginn session is down.
1/21/2008 10:4:31> ADSL detected
1/21/2008 10:4:38> ATM Connected
1/21/2008 10:4:38> ATM layer is up, cell delineation achieved
1/21/2008 10:4:38> ADSL connected
1/21/2008 10:4:38> PPP1 PPPoA Connected
1/21/2008 10:4:49> PPP CHAP Authentication failed
1/21/2008 10:4:49> PPP Invalid Username or Password
1/21/2008 10:4:52> PPP1 Session is down.
1/21/2008 10:4:52> PPP1 PPPoA Connected
1/21/2008 10:4:56> PPP CHAP Authentication success
1/21/2008 10:4:56> PPP1: PPP IP address is 195.166.150.186
1/21/2008 10:4:56> PPP1: PPP Gateway IP address is 195.166.128.64
1/21/2008 10:4:56> PPP1: DNS Primary IP address is 212.159.6.10
1/21/2008 10:4:56> PPP1: DNS Secondary IP address is 212.159.6.9
1/21/2008 10:4:56> NAT/NAPT Session Start: interface ppp1, WAN IP is 195.166.150.186
1/21/2008 10:4:56> Initialized NAT Virtual Servers.
1/21/2008 10:4:56> NAPT: mcginn session is up.
1/21/2008 10:4:57> PPP1 Session is up
So Bt say their end is fine, F9 say their end is fine 4 diffrent routers 3 microfilters at my end must be fine.  so whats causing this....any ideas would be appreciated as this is frustrating as heck!!!!
Edit" just noticed that my line rate down has dropped from 7.5 to 5.3?Huh
vlb
Dabbler

just thought i would update this abit more. (for those that care lol)
their has been no change since the BT engineer came out, i have had 52 d/c today and counting.  I called Bt so say that my line was abit noisy and that my SNR dropped to 6 or so just before and during a disconnect. so they said they will send a "telephone engineer" out on monday (as opposed to the broadband engineer that came out last monday)
The thing i am thinking now is that it has been a week since the last engineer was out and i have had no update from F9 about progress so it struck me today that if i change my isp to BT it will effectivly cut out the middleman (F9) and will mean this will probably get resolved quicker (as i dont have to wait on F9 liasing with BT). Does anyone have any experience with BT broadband and their customer service?. 
I just think that if my isp is BT then they will probably take my ADSL Synch issue more seriously as it is their product and equipment that is failing.  Also because they provide a router they cant say "it may be your equipment" sometimes when i speak to BT or F9 i think they are under the impression that i am lying about the £90+ i have spent on new equipment!!!!.
any thoughts on this would be appreciated, i dont want to leave F9 (infact i would probably re-join once BT have fixed my synch issue) but i need this fixed and i need it done quicker than is being done just now.
Cheers
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Changing to BT will not help you! There are two separate BT parts you need to be aware of, BT Retail who sell services to end users just like any other ISP. They (like any other ISP) buy ADSL from BT Wholesale. By changing to BT you could find yourself talking to support people in India instead of Sheffield, who will have to pass on your fault to BT Wholesale exactly the same as Plusnet have to do.
OFCOM regulation prevents BT Wholesale giving preferential treatment to BT Retail. In any case BT Retail own Plusnet!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
vlb
Dabbler

well i spoke to my neighbour today and she says that when she has a problem with her broadband she always gets through to a english support agent (she is bt broadband) so that removes alot of fear of changing isps,
i think being a bt broadband customer would stop the ticket tennis that seems to be going on just now.