cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loosing wireless [fixed]

Adrian_K

loosing wireless [fixed]

hi there,
I think my router (Thompson TG585 supplied by PN) is timing out my wireless connections.
I have a canon wireless printer and a Humax PVR which are set up OK and work one day but I come back to them a day later and they're not visible by the PCs.
They're listed on the router page as 'inactive' and I can't ping them.  
I've tried DHCP & Static IP addresses. Disabling PC firewall.  I've also fixed the wireless channel.
Usually resolved by restarting the router, occasionally resolved by powering down the printer/pvr
iPhone, iPad & laptops connect without any issue, so the wirelesss is running OK.  Internet is stable.
Also worth noting is that the Humax has the functionality to access BBC iPlayer via internet, like the other equipment this usually works but it's not visible by the PC.
So the connection from the devices to internet is fine but communication on my 'internal network' is flaky?
thanks,
Adrian
8 REPLIES 8
AndyH
Grafter

Re: loosing wireless

Have you tried updating the firmware of your Humax PVR/Canon printer?
I had a similar thing with my HP printer and Sky supplied router - the printer would go into sleep mode and never seem to pick up a new IP when it was awake again.
Adrian_K

Yes both are on the latest firmware.  I haven't tried updating the FW of the router, this was supplied by PN with their customised version installed.
I could well be something to do with 'sleeping' of the devices.  I don't think the Humax has a wake on LAN functionality but I wouldn't expect to have to go to the printer and take it out of standby for the PC to see it but that doesn't happen anyway, it just goes to sleep & seems to be forgotten about  Embarrassed
thanks
AndyH
Grafter

I think the issue is with renewing the DHCP lease.
Can you change the lease time in the settings for the router?
The other alternative is to set the static IP for the printer/Humax. Have you been doing this from the router or on the devices? The preferred way is from the devices so they by-pass the DHCP server altogether.
Re the Humax being visible by the PC - is that to access media on the Humax? Does it have a DLNA server?
Adrian_K

Quote from: AndyH
I think the issue is with renewing the DHCP lease.
Can you change the lease time in the settings for the router?

you're beginning to lose me at this point.  I haven't seen anything in the router config for router's lease time.
If I set the IP address of the printer/humax to static, the lease time is infinite.  Whether I set the IP from the router or device seems to have no effect, but that's worth bearing in mind.
Quote from: AndyH
Re the Humax being visible by the PC - is that to access media on the Humax? Does it have a DLNA server?

Yes, I access recorded programmes from the PC, so I presume it has a DNLA server built in.  The PC also has a DNLA server running, so I can view media stored on my PC on my TV via the Humax.
I've found this:
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
I thought I have the TG585V7 but maybe it's a V8 in which case the latest FW has a wireless fix.
AndyH
Grafter

I'd update the fw to see if that helps.
Some routers allow you to change the lease time in the admin page - I would imagine you could still change the lease time from a telnet command.
I googled Canon DHCP problems and it looks like it's a known issue (on some printers) where the printer won't renew a DHCP lease from the server. Other people got around it by setting static IP addresses on the printer.
The fact that your Humax is having the same problem makes it look like a router issue however.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Adrian_K
I thought I have the TG585V7 but maybe it's a V8 in which case the latest FW has a wireless fix.

If you look underneath the router at the label containing the CE mark, under the Thomson title it tells you whether the router is a TG585v7 or v8. The router cases are physically different too, the v7 has smooth sides, the v8 air vents in the sides.
Note that v7 software won't work on the v8, and vice versa. Also version 8.x.x.x software doesn't mean it's for the v8, the latest software for the v7 is version 8.2.6.5, and that for the v8 is 8.2.7.8.
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Adrian_K,
We do have a few v7s in storage here let me know if you want to give one a try.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Adrian_K

Re: loosing wireless [fixed]

this was resolved by updating to latest firmware, even though release notes said fixes were to do with MacOS I thought I'd give it a try.