Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

left hand menus - will they return

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

left hand menus - will they return

Sorry if this has been asked before...
Are we likely to see the left hand menu from the portal appear any time soon on the community site / forums. When answering Qs I often went through various portal pages to find answers which now means I have to keep another window open on the portal to access those areas. This is especially true for the help & support area.
81 REPLIES 81
chesterfield
Grafter

Re: left hand menus - will they return

I have just cited that very item as one example as to why this forum feels completely disjointed from the ISP section.
It appears that this is running on standard belletin board software or similar, so I imagine the links on the left hand side will either never appear or be a long time coming as getting the integration between the ISP section and the bulletin board section is not going to be an easy task.
One has to question exactly what was wrong with the previous boards?Huh
This seems like the boards (and any negative comments) are just being shoved aside, just so that any pottential customers dont have the opportunity to easily access the boards and see any gripes.
Its the first stage in shutting them down for good I think.  The access to the forums certainly wont be ranking as high on my list of reasons to stick with PN anymore if I consider switching again.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That was my first thought as well.
But then I wondered how they could do it when most of the links are visp specific
James
Grafter

Worth posting in the wishlist?
Neil_A
Grafter

Quote from: chesterfield
Its the first stage in shutting them down for good I think. 

Most definitely not. We're going to keep all the old forums as read only. We're also looking at ways to import the posts and post-counts into the community site. I don't see us ever shutting the forums - certainly not so long as I have a say in it.
chesterfield
Grafter

I doubt it can be done to be honest.  Creating and modifying bulletin board software is hard enough without having to try and create secure links back into the ISP of each member dependent on which ISP they are part of, and seeing as the boards require separate authentication to our ISP member centre log in, I think we can well and truly kiss the side menus goodbye.
As I say, this is just a way of removing all the pottential negativity from the ISP main page and shoving it off in a corner somewhere.  Leaving the ISP pages nice and shiny adverts.
Its a massive step back in terms of a quality bulletin board for customers in my opinion, and I'd bet my shirt that the forums will drop severely in popularity and we will see long term members dissapear because of it.
We already see good eggs like Peter being frustrated that they cant help as easily because of the added effort it now takes to assist others.
Post counts can be transfered over quite simply by copying the relevant table from the sql database into the current one.
Or at least it would be simple if there were now not two different authentications and the fact that people may have different user names.  By severing all ties with the authentication onto the portal, the job has been made infinitely more complicated than it need be, and Id wager the side menu integaration nigh on impossible alltogether.
I would like to be eating humble pie on the above within a couple of months, but sadly I doubt I will.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The Community site contains far more useful information (news items and blogs) than the portals do, and I welcome that.
One advantage of common forums is that comments, queries, etc are not divided across four locations, so that (e.g.) a problem is immediately made known to everyone instead of needing to be discovered (and responded to) separately.
That has to be good - but isolation from the portals is not good.  Integration is a *must* in my opinion.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Peter
Sorry if this has been asked before...
Are we likely to see the left hand menu from the portal appear any time soon on the community site / forums. When answering Qs I often went through various portal pages to find answers which now means I have to keep another window open on the portal to access those areas. This is especially true for the help & support area.

I sometimes find myself looking at pages on the portal when answering questions and open up the portal in another Firefox (or IE) tab. This has the advantage that you can quickly switch between the two to carry on typing the post as you explore for example the path down through raising a specific type of ticket.
The way I do this is identical whether I am posting to the PUG forums, the portal forums, Thinkbroadband, Usenet or these forums.
I also welcome the fact that these forums can be up and running when the portal is down.
Sorry Peter, I totally disagree with you on this one.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Post counts can be transfered over quite simply by copying the relevant table from the sql database into the current one.
Or at least it would be simple if there were now not two different authentications and the fact that people may have different user names.  By severing all ties with the authentication onto the portal, the job has been made infinitely more complicated than it need be, and Id wager the side menu integaration nigh on impossible alltogether.

Did you have your cynical cornflakes this morning? Wink
A lot of the point was to remove the duplication of content in all the forums and to allow people to have different usernames to their account usernames.  This objectives mean that it isn't easy.
We are going to try though!
We are working on an alternative stylesheet right now.  Prototypes hopefully by end of week and we'll put them on here.  (They've been delayed as we have restricted web design resource at the minute, hence the job ads on the careers site)  If anyone out there wants to have a go themselves at creating a new look and feel, feel free!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A further thought - would a button to link to the portal in the top banner (which portal depending on the logged in users vISP) help?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Have to admit, I'm with Jelv.  I never click on the links when I'm looking at forums.  I always have a separate tab open for that kind of thing.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only one I use is the webmail link but I will just add a bookmark to my toolbar instead
chesterfield
Grafter

Ive had enough on creating the site I manage  Grin (www.350z-uk.com).
In answer to your point, yes I have my dose of cynical corn flakes every day, most will know that.  Grin
I do think splitting the forums from the member centre is a step backward though.  For example if people have different usernames on the forums than they do on their accounts with the ISP its not as easy for support staff to see immediatley what account is being complained about.
Can you imagine someone coming on here ranting that they are suffering a fault, and the first response to their thread is "can you tell me your username"...  Watch the fireworks.
Also, if support have to ask the username before being able to help, then the op would then expect something to be done, an be forever chasing on the topic.  Whereas before, support could simply take a look at the account before posting on the topic.  Far easier and less likely to result in chased topics or enraging angry posters as they now have to start by giving their username.
If web design time is limited, why on earth was something like this rushed out that is seriously lacking in integration with the isp side?
It just appears tobe madness to me.
Colin
Grafter

Can you imagine someone coming on here ranting that they are suffering a fault, and the first response to their thread is "can you tell me your username". 

That'll be why, for the majority of users who will be signing up (the people since it went live), we will be able to track back to their account with us from their username on these forums. We can also track back based on IP address etc. so there are ways of finding these things out for the majority of users.
If web design time is limited, why on earth was something like this rushed out that is seriously lacking in integration with the isp side?

I'd hardly call 3 months (nearly 4) rushed out Smiley
James
Grafter

Chesterfield,
We've built in functionality into Workplace for us to be able to see the username of Community Site users.  there's been a couple of instances where we haven't or noobs (notably me) didn't know where this was!