cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just switched from sky and can't believe how slow plusnet is!!!!!!

leopardlady

just switched from sky and can't believe how slow plusnet is!!!!!!

As title, switched from sky and finding plusnet very nearly unusable. Its like going back to my ancient dial up speeds.  Can't describe how disappointed I am. 
I have attached a speed test, which, ironically recommends plusnet as my fastest option, and I have also attached the DSL connection stats from my router as Oldjim suggests on his thread. 
Can anyone please suggest why my speeds are so slow, as I assume these speeds aren't normal or acceptable? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: just switched from sky and can't believe how slow plusnet is!!!!!!

Is that speed test wired or wireless
Can you run the BT speedtest  - further diagnostics
Also what is the Current Line Speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
The Plusnet speed they are reporting as fast is Fibre
As a point there is nothing much wrong with your router stats except that for some reason your upload has been capped and shouldn't be - that should be picked up in the morning
leopardlady

Thanks for the reply.  I could probably do the bt test tomorrow as it is in the loft. I have attached the current line speed as requested.  I was going on the 1.2mb download and 0.3mb upload speed reading, If the speeds are as fast as fibre could there be another reason why it is so slow, please?  I would have assumed its my laptop but other family members have commented how slow it is on their ipads etc.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is fine and isn't the problem
You don't need to do tthe BT test from the master socket this time just on your normal connection but wired please
leopardlady

Thanks jim, will borrow a cable tomorrow and do it.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi leopardlady,
I've placed the order to uncap your upload speed and this should complete within the next 24 hours.
Once you've been able to run the test via an Ethernet cable that Oldjim has advised you of already please upload your findings here and we can take a look for you.
leopardlady

Thank you. I have now got a cable BUT as I only have a macbook air I have, apparantly,  to buy a usb to ethernet adapter so will investigate this at the weekend.