cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

james1944 thread

james1944

james1944 thread

Richard.P. I have the same type of problem as you but my broadband fault has been plaguing me for more than a year +. The problem is related to faulty wiring only, after about 20 engineer visits and hundreds of hours of pointless phone calls the fault is present. After a fault on my other property was dismissed by three engineers BT claimed DEADLOCK! and no further help would be provided. This DEADLOCK is no more than a excuse, it only offers you the chance to terminate your contract free of charge or continue to pay for [Censored] broadband.
I then contacted BT to ask for my DEADLOCK letter so I could proceed with taking the case to the ombudsman. India claimed they didn't know anything about a DEADLOCK letter then a woman from Glasgow just butted in, I asked for DEADLOCK letter and she kept on saying she didn't understand me and repeated the words DOG WALK every time I said DEADLOCK, she then dropped the call and put me back to India.
This made me promptly phone OFCOM, I told them the situation I was in and within minutes a robot from BT called saying, sorry to here you have a fault, we will try to fix it in 10 days. Ten days passed, nothing, then one morning looking out the window, Amazing there was engineer digging at the bottom of pole where I had told the three previous engineers that this is where I believe the problem was located. I set a camera to record from a distance to have proof of his visit. At this point I was watching router status page, I was amazed when I got a sync the downstream had gone from 256kbps to a staggering 1600kbps. I am 7+ kilometres away from exchange and have always got around 1mbps 24hrs a day.
How did you know the fault was there you might ask?. To be really honest it is simple!, all you need is a small portable radio that has FM/MW/LW, select MW and tune it into roughly 612, you may need to adjust slightly, the place to check first is the pole supplying your property. First of all this has to be done at night, the later the better,hold the antenna close to wires on pole, you may need to adjust tuning slighty but if there is a fault you will be listening to radio stations from across the sea. You can try this with other poles in your area and you will find that the results are different. When there is no fault present all you will hear through radio is pulsing noise when there is broadband activity.Some poles you test can hear a tiny bit of radio but the pulsing noise drowns it out.
It was an engineer that visited this property who told me about using a portable radio to track down REIN. He also claimed that most broadband engineers carry one as part of the tool kit. This engineer tried to claim that our wireless repeater was causing the problems with our broadband so we removed it but there was no improvment. A REIN investigation was carried out after making a complaint. A coach and senior engineer came and spent most of the day trying to find a problem with our house and devices, they even asked me to plug the wireless repeater back in to test it and they never found a problem with it nor anything else.
The coach showed me the data he had recorded, then asked me if there was anything on between the hours of dusk and dawn, my answer NO. They then went to another property to find nothing then came back to say they haven't tracked it down yet but they would continue there search. That was the last time that they were seen, considering the fault doesn't start until dusk and they left long before it got dark how the hell were they ever going to find it!. This coach then reported to the complaints department claiming he had fixed the fault!. And once more i was forced into this DEADLOCK [Censored] again!. The third and last engineer at my other property got speaking about REIN, he went to his van got portable radio and started pointing it at devices and claimed that the feed back on radio was REIN!. What a load of [Censored], every low voltage power supply gives feed back faulty or not, this type of interference is called EMI nothing to do with REIN. This is when i took my portable radio up the road and found that just walking under the overhead cable was picking up a signal, when I got to the pole the signal was as clear as day and was even present in underground cable. After they fixed it on the sly all you hear is a pulsing noise.
After finding out these facts I used the same radio to find the fault, i went to every pole to find half way down the nearly 7 kilometer line a DP pole was picking up radio clear as day again. The pole is right next to a fence that had been erected the time that the fault began. To anybody with common sense would understand that there is a fault. The pole itself is picking up radio but the straining post on the new fence was also picking it up with the same clarity. I took my video camera with me and recorded my findings. I then spent about three hours trying to organise a engineer visit to pass on my findings. They kept on hanging up on me untill they gave in, but shortly after i received an abusive call from the complaints department trying to force me to pay £129 even though the coach said there was no fault at our property, I refused time and time again explaining that they couldn't change there terms and conditions just for me.
They gave in and said we will see what the engineer has to say. Two engineers turned up and as usual there line test said OK!. The engineers were shown the videos and told the location of pole which the engineer pulled up on his laptop and marked the location. They left leaving me under the impression that they did believe there was problem there and that they were going to report it. Later that day complaints phone and said, we are no longer going to help, so I questioned them about engineers report only to be insulted, after that I got angry and hung up.
In comes a letter from BT trying to get me to sign a letter, saying that i had breached there terms and conditions section **, this included being abusive and begin a security threat. They wanted me to sign so the could cut off our services, No way was i signing that, i sent them 10 pages explaining why i am not signing. Before i got the letter sent they started by stopping out going calls and sending emails.
The next bill was due, i told my old man to pay the full bill but he decided to only pay what he though was due down the limited service. This just gave them an excuse to cut us off completely which they did. They even sent a bag to return the Home Hub 3, it asked to return the router serial number *** as this router died shortly after connecting to BT and was last seen in the back of an engineers van this would be quite impossible.
After that any time i phoned BT, no matter which department i spoke to was abusive and would hang up. A while later i managed to get through to sales and re-ordered the same package as before no problem at all.
One day about a month later the internet connection was down. I phoned tech support went through the normal checks and reset but still no connection. The tech support then sent out a new Home Hub 4, later that night the internet connection magically came back on but they were to late to stop the new hub from being deliverd. The broadband went down again, there was email from BT saying they were going to cut all our services again, and said that we shouldn't have been allowed to re-order the package.
My old man phones BT and gets redirected to billing without any choice and India starts an argument about the next bill with my old man who said he wasn't going to pay again as it wasn't even due. He then spoke to a woman in UK who claimed they using a recorded phone call as an excuse to cut us off. Later that day they cut us off completely again. We sent a £10 cheque and asked for all information regarding our account, the refused and said that the was no stored information about our account!.
Shortly after i ordered the same package from PLUSNET and after getting setup i reported the same fault to them and explained all of the above, the guy i spoke to claimed that none of the information regarding fault from BT was available to them and would not be used. They first went on to say it could be fixed with the push of a button HA HA, then booked an enginneer who never even turned up but still claimed in his report that he was and it tested fine.
Booked a second enginneer, this one turned up found a battery fault but couldn't carry out repair due to weather, he even said that his father inlaw just over the hill had REAL problems with his broadband too.
Booked another enginneer he found battery fault aswell went away to locate it then he walked into our house when no-one was there, picked up his equipment a took off. Again this enginneers report claimed to have fixed fault but NO.
Booked another enginneer, TWO turned up and said this was just a coincidence, they again found the same battery fault. They again claimed to have fixed it but the router wouldn't even sync for ages and when it did 160kbps, far from being fixed.
I then showed the recorded SNR data from Router Stats and in his words, that definitely looks like a case of REIN and that he would organise a REIN job to Track it down. I explained to him that they have done that before and gave up, but not before claiming that they had found and fixed it again. This enginneer did put forward this job but again no-one showed for the appointment, they went on to say there resources were low as an excuse and again claiming that it was resolved.
The same fault is still present today and wont just magically disappear!!!. Phoned PLUSNET to be told the same as before, DEADLOCK no more support regarding broadband. I continued to record SNR to find absolutly no improvement. This problem also affects the quality of calls with the noise always there. I booked another engineer but just for the noisy phone because of this DEADLOCK. While waiting upon his visit I witnessed the router drop its connection twice, I then called PLUSNET but before I got through the engineer appears, there was noise when I made this call but when the enginneer tested it he claimed it was ok. Again
I showed this enginneer the same a last one and  explained that the REIN investigation he had booked had not been carried out, He started making excuses blaming the robots and said that he would try and organise it again. I told this engineer all of above, he just started making excuses again claiming that even if there was a fault where I believe or they believe they would somehow have to prove it was there before they would even LOOK. I have already proved it to myself how to find this type of fault, trying to convince these work shy, poorly educated ENGINEERS is like trying to get blood out of a stone. He left claiming that this was sorted out.
Today i received Text from PLUSNET again claiming it was fixed again. They get off with this because by LAW they are not responsible for supplying Broadband, they use this, We are only obliged to provide a phoneline and get this, 56.6kpbs connection speed. Who uses a 56kbps dialup modem???. Until this is changed they will continue to drive there customers completely mad over the heads of a simple wiring fault that has a more than simple FIX!!!.
adie:green added some paragraphs to make it more readable for all.
12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Please may I have an explanation of how the SNR affects broadband delivery?

@james1944
There isn't much that I can add that you haven't already stated. Your line is in excess of 7 kilometres and the performance will always vary.
If your previous supplier declared a deadlock on your line there really wasn't anything we could have done differently.
Due to the deadlock that as been declared again there isn't anything further we can do.
I understand that's not going to be what you want to hear but I'm afraid broadband isn't a guaranteed service at any line length especially one such as yours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: james1944 thread

Post and reply split off as it was just getting lost in that  mammoth thread
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@james1944,
I'm not sure that your problem is the same as Richard.P's because your rather long story is badly structured.
We don't need lectures about how to track REIN or Broadband signals with a MW/AM radio,we know all about that.
What I have managed to deduce is that you had a cable fault which is somewhere near the bottom of a pole which you believe was caused when a fence was erected adjacent to this. I can only assume that the cable goes underground at this pole, is that correct? And presumably in the other direction the line is overhead, is that right?
Now what is not clear is that you've said an engineer was digging (at some point) at the bottom of this particular pole and your sync speed went from 256kbps to1600kbps. Now does that mean that the fault was fixed at that time or was this a momentary change in sync whilst the engineer was there? Did he attempt to fix the fault, or just poke around in the hole he'd dug?
If the fault was fixed (for a period?) I assume that it's gone faulty again, or it wasn't properly fixed and the fault is still at the same location. Which is the case?
Now also what is not clear is that there is this mention of REIN. The way I have read what you've said is, that this is just the belief of one engineer that attended and that there is no REIN, is that correct?
So I also assume that you still have an intermittent broadband connection and when it syncs, at best you get 160kbps, is that correct?
You also mentioned Noise on the phone line and that a battery fault was detected, and this fault was repeated on several tests, is that correct?
Do you still have a noisy phone line? If so is the noise there all the time or is it Intermittent?
I take in you pay your line rental to Plusnet, is that correct?
@Matthew
Quote from: Matthew
If your previous supplier declared a deadlock on your line there really wasn't anything we could have done differently.

Matthew that is prejudicial, and should not be taken into account, you should hold a completely open mind. I don't believe that the problem here is at all clear due to a combination of factors, one being a poor and unclear explanation of the problem, which I hope we can change.
If Plusnet have declared a deadlock then IMHO you should put that on hold until we have some clarification here.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Unfortunately the deadlock was declared by Openreach rather then ourselves.
We have attempted to contest it however from what I can see we didn't get anywhere with it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Well we'll have to see what the options might be if/when we get some clarification. Thanks for your reply.
firstalpha
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Anotherone
@james1944,
I'm not sure that your problem is the same as Richard.P's because your rather long story is badly structured.
We don't need lectures about how to track REIN or Broadband signals with a MW/AM radio,we know all about that.

Actually, I thought James had stated his issues rather well... I had copied and pasted it into a word document setup with columns and a larger font size to make it easier to read... I think it illustrates very well the enormous task BT has to deliver that which the politicians want for the money which they have pledged...
For 10 years, I was on the fixed 0.5 Mbps offering... I've now been on the 1 - 3.5 Mbps variable offering for just 14 months... if I had been receiving the 1.4 Mbps which I get now, continuously since November 2013, I doubt I would have been monitoring my connection quite so vigorously as I am at the moment...
Anotherone
Champion

Richard it was not clear, hence my questions. What it does appear to indicate is the incompetence displayed by Openreach and some of it's "engineers" in their failure to effect a proper cable repair, as well as Openreach's reluctance to replace sub-standard or deteriorated cable of which your own case is yet a further example of the many that have come up on this forum over the years.
However I'll await clear answers (if any) to the questions I asked, before passing any further/final opinion on Openreach in this particular case.
james1944

@Anotherone
First of all, I am not a pen pusher and English is not my strong point. This is the very first time I have posted anything on any forum. The only reason I replied to Richard.P's thread is because I read most of 27 + pages and was shocked to find that he has been plagued with the same problem as me but most shocking was the relatively short distance of 2.5 km from exchange. I am a multi skilled engineer, mechanical- electrical and also build and maintain computers as well as fixing micro electronics, I also paint cars- motorbikes- tractors- lorry’s to a professional standard, this list of skills could go on for a while so I will stop here. There is nothing much I cant fix, it all depends on being able to source parts at a reasonable price.
First of all you say that “we don’t lectures about how to track down REIN or Broadband signals with MW/AM radio, we know all about that”. This is where you are 100% wrong. In my experience with BT engineers, none of them can tell the difference between REIN- RF- and EMI.
Your first question. The pole is as I mentioned DP 35 to be exact, it supply’s two other customers and Yes it goes underground at both sides of pole. It goes on underground for nearly another Kilometre under a main road then overhead again for slightly more than a Kilometre, then near our property it goes underground again for 100 yards before getting to outside of house. The cable is underground from DP 35 all the way to exchange, there are other poles between exchange and 35 but not much. It is hard to explain, I have photos that make it easier to understand. From exchange side the underground cable stops, it is joined underground around the point of new fence then 10 pair of wires or so go up to junction box a top of pole, then down again to a cast iron BT service inspection box back to underground. There is a ditch behind pole and drain in front. The pole picks up RF so does the Straining post at exchange side, also the cast iron box does as well. The straining post at other side does not pick up RF, it is right next to cast iron box, closer to 35 than exchange side post. I have videos of this showing portable radio moving from pole and post to post.
I know its probably hard to read but I am speaking about two different property's 5 miles apart on two different exchanges at a similar distance. Property 1 is where I live now and where I started in first post. The fault was fixed entirely at that time, to answer your question. When I saw the engineer franticly digging I quickly loaded Router status page, to view what was what. As I said the status went from 256kbps but never mentioned it dropped off completely phone went dead for a period then synced back to 1600kbps. At this point I was happy for once and my endless phone calls emails had been worth while. When I noticed the engineer had gone I went over the road to other property. Before I got to where he was working the van appeared back, he was slowing down like to stop a hole he had dug but when he clocked eyes with me he took off at great speed, presumably to avoid conflict. I remember just having a wee laugh to myself and drove in the other direction leaving him to finish. 
Now many years ago AOL would only send out phone engineers even when you asked for a broadband engineer and was told you was getting so. This just angered me to the point where I blocked entry to my property, this engineer phoned his boss to explain, I then asked to speak to her, I then explained to her that I booked a Broadband engineer and never got one, she said that it would be sorted out and that she was going out of her way to do so. I took her number and had to contact her again before I got that sorted out. Broadband engineer turns up and within minutes he found two bad connections, one up at village one in property. He used the now obsolete 500volt test. When he came back I asked what he found, he said that the wire in village crumbled in his hands?? I said confused, what is it made of, aluminium his reply. This was when I first found out my cable was aluminium. Thanks to this engineer he restored my broadband to its stable reliable 1mbps capable of SKYPE video calls, steaming video, online gaming hiccup free!!. This is still about property 1.
The case of REIN was the belief of ONE engineer at Property 2 but its slightly more complicated. The engineer who pointed the finger at wireless repeater being the cause of broadband problems without further testing at Property 2 was the same engineer who made visit 1 and 2 of the three at Property 1 before the DEADLOCK on Property 1. Yes I was dealing with two faults on two property's at the same time!!. The first thing I said to this engineers 1st visit to Property 2 was, Oh no not you again!. I left him to it, then my mum told me he said something about there being a problem with ground. He took off somewhere and said he would come back so I run a fly wire from consumer unit to the point where previous engineers got there ground which was a radiator to check continuity and it tested OK.
He came back with a long single piece of wire and got me to watch his equipment while he was outside pushing the wire in the lawn. He seemed to think he had proved something to me. I asked him where he was trying to get a ground before and he pointed to a 13amp socket. That was simple there was NO ground at this particular socket, all he had to do was ask me this before going to the nonsensical task aforementioned. I asked him to give me the ground wire from his equipment so I could put it on the radiator, he said I tried that but the crocodile clip wouldn’t hold due to its size, I said I would hold it and you tell me if its OK, its OK he says. Again if he just asked for assistance there wouldn't have been so much time wasted. He wasn’t very happy at this point then started to claim that there being no ground wire a socket would cause problems with Broadband, until I pointed out that the power supply for the router had no connection to ground, just plastic like a lot of other low voltage power supply's.
Of course he didn't take this very well either. This is when he started on the pursuit of REIN, he told me how to find it using portable radio, went to get his but couldn't find it so he uses van radio and pulls close to house. There was some noise, I switched things off and on till we found the wireless repeater was making this noise. He left just shortly after claiming that it was the problem without further investigation. This device was removed and never plugged in AGAIN!. That was until the Coach asked me to plug it in again only to prove that it was definitely not the CAUSE. What this engineer didn't know was that this device had been damaged the same time the HOME HUB 3 died, also a satellite box connected by LAN cable had also died.
YES I still have intermittent broadband connection and the sync speed using the cheap plusnet router is 160kbps. This router is the only one I have that works with Routerstatus68k to record the SNR. The records show quiet clearly in graph form that the SNR seem stable through daylight hours but when it gets DARK the SNR drops down down down till around 4am when its worst, I have records of it down as far -1.9db, from 4am onwards it creeps back up again and stabilises when DAYLIGHT come around. This happens EVERY SINGLE DAY and there is quite a clear pattern. Now this is a clearly a wiring fault outside of my control. The weather has a influence on this as well, wind itself does nothing, normal rain has no effect either but FREAK WEATHER has a devastating effect for example.
When we first reported this same fault in August 2013 THUNDERY RAIN SHOWERS localised to a few miles that only last a matter of seconds would knock the sync speed from 1800kbps down to 256kbps in the flick of a switch. Now that summer had a huge number of these FREAK SHOWERS, and every time this happened we had to wait 12 hours or so before it would give us FULL SPEED again. However due HUGE number of the events we never got full speed back, this was what made it so frustrating. On recent FREAK SNOW SHOWERS the same problem arises again, but using the cheap plusnet router it drops off completely for many HOURS. One time it was out for around 8 HOURS.
I have now plugged my Netgear back in as its modem is far better. For example, the cheap router wouldn't even sync one day so really had no choice, the Netgear synced at 712kbps but it has steadily been dropping speed day after day now to 448kpbs today. The Broadband.co.uk speedtest fails most times and only returns 0.22mbps even when it was sitting at 712kbps. 220 kbps is about the same every day for the past few months and 120 kbps on the cheap router. It a joke considering we had 1mb broadband before and 1.5mb after BT's BROADBAND BOOST. People who tell you the speed may vary is absolute NONSENCE, the only time it varies is when the exchange cant cope and throttles back EVERYBODYS connection.
The noise on phone line is still there all day and gets worse again when DARKNESS comes down. Its hard to describe the noise it makes, hissing with crackling. When first reported again Plusnet's support claimed it tested OK. Phone engineer tested and claimed it was OK too. This was the last engineer that visited. He claimed not to be broadband engineer and didn't know anything about broadband even though he driving a van plastered in super fast fibre decals.
When I reported the broadband fault to Plusnet at end of October last year they mucked me about no end, first claiming that they could fix it by pressing buttons. The guy claimed that raising the SNR from 6db to 9db would sort it out. This was done by them and recorded by me, on raising SNR maybe stabilised it slightly but all this does in REALITY makes HEC FEC errors go from 10s of thousands a day to multiple MILLIONS a day.
Next I asked again for an engineer, they booked one eventually got a time slot. This engineer never showed up but managed to make a report claiming to have tested at front of house and that it was OK!!!. There is no way to obtain access to front of house without GREAT difficulty. Plus the CCTV would have caught him also me and both my parents were there waiting for his visit. Again disgusting work ethic. Trying to convince Plusnet was of this difficult to say the as they had an engineers report.
I had to book another, this one turned up and he claimed that his father in law just over the hill on same line had VERY POOR broadband as well. An example that I am NOT the only customer on this line to be affected by this FAULT. He found a BATTERY fault and went to have a look but weather conditions made it dangerous so he came back and informed my that he would hold the job and hopefully get back to fix it. This never happened.
Contacted Plusnet again explained booked another engineer. This engineer wasn't even from our neck of the woods and he had never seen so much underground cables in such a mess in his words. He again found a BATTERY fault the same distance away as previous engineer. He plugged in a tracer and went to track it down. I was working outside and a few hours later he managed to sneak in the house remove his equipment and take off without first anyone being in the property at the time and avoiding informing me of his findings even though he would have heard the JCB telehandler running giving away my location.
Again a report went in to Plusnet saying it was fixed again!!. Booked another engineer TWO turned up, and this was just a coincidence one of them said, again the same BATTERY FAULT same distance away. Now these engineer never put a tracer on the the line but claimed after a whole afternoon of work to have fixed it again. One of the engineers was seen by my parents at top of hill where it goes from underground cable to last stretch of overhead cable and the other was seen at DP 35 where I believe the problem is. I asked the engineer if he was down at DP 35, he denied this claiming they were at DP 34 and DP 36 and at the cemetery which is a few hundred yards from exchange. All I know is that this is not the first time I have been blatantly lied to by engineers. I had photographed DP 35 before there visit and it was quite clear they had been there as the grass covering the cast iron box had been removed and the simple fact that one of them was witnessed there by both my parents. The engineer claimed a sync speed of 928 kbps but the cheap router wouldn't even sync up for a good few minutes, when it did 160 kbps. I then showed this engineer the router stats that I had recorded and the videos. His words, This definitely looks like a case of REIN.
I then explained that a Coach and senior engineer had already done a REIN investigation, and they were determined to find fault with our house electricity and devices. He then said you don't want me to book REIN investigation then, I said of course I want a REIN investigation, if that's what it going to take to restore my broadband I would appreciate it if you would do so. He did as he said he would and Plusnet were informed of this and is shown in the data logged by Plusnet themselves.
This is not the end yet. A date was set for a REIN investigation and I waited about ALL DAY in case themselves required access to the property as stated in Plusnet's log. Again no one showed up and nothing was done. Plusnet responded with the excuse from BT that they didn't have the  resource's at this time!!. They did this two times over a period and then claimed again that it had been done!!!. Again no improvement in connection!.
Between all this a contractor for BT called Kelly Telecom was again witnessed by my parents at the top of hill where the last engineer claimed to have found and fixed the battery fault. After being informed by my parents of this I stopped to have a look to see what they had been up to, it was obvious what work they had done. They had replaced a metal pillar box with a new PLASTIC one. This box joins the underground cable to last stretch of overhead cable. Somehow these work shy poorly educated engineers OBVIOSLY believed that this would fix my ongoing and LONG STANDING FAULT. There is much much more information I have to spout about, including more information on SNR and Bitloading, plus data  from a BT Business router taken from both property's that quite clearly says MORE IMPULSE NOISE PROTECTION REQUIRED.
People who believe everything they're told are FOOLISH. People who dismiss reasoned argument are again FOOLISH. I choose to believe that you learn something new EVERY DAY if you are self motivated and up for a challenge. Diagnosing problems and fixing are done with EYES first then with your HANDS. People seen to think problems can be resolved by PUSHING BUTTONS!!.
firstalpha
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: james1944
... he has been plagued with the same problem as me but most shocking was the relatively short distance of 2.5 km from exchange.

According to the Copper Line Test in reply#250, I am well over 5 kms from my exchange...
Anotherone
Champion

First of all you say that “we don’t lectures about how to track down REIN or Broadband signals with MW/AM radio, we know all about that”. This is where you are 100% wrong. In my experience with BT engineers, none of them can tell the difference between REIN- RF- and EMI.

I've had a rather hectic week and hardly been on the forum, so have only just seen the fact that you've replied, never mind read it all.
Having just read your above remark, I can tell you I'm not one of them. This forum has a number of very experienced engineers from a variety of backgrounds, so instead of assuming that nobody knows what you know or maybe even more in some areas, I suggest you adopt a more constructive approach. As you seem to be claiming that you know how to tell the difference between REIN, RF and EMI,how about you spend a few minutes explaining it for everyone who may read this thread in due course.
I'll read you post more thoroughly later and hopefully reply with some constructive suggestions.
RadioFox
Grafter

...He came back with a long single piece of wire and got me to watch his equipment while he was outside pushing the wire in the lawn. He seemed to think he had proved something to me. I asked him where he was trying to get a ground before and he pointed to a 13amp socket. That was simple there was NO ground at this particular socket, all he had to do was ask me this before going to the nonsensical task aforementioned...

Can I ask. Why do you knowingly have a mains socket with no ground connection?
Anotherone
Champion

I doubt we'll get any response, he's not been on the forum since his 2nd (and last) post on the 26/01/15. And why should he be, he knows more than the rest of use put together Roll_eyes