cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this supposed to be static ?

Wimpywoo
Grafter

is this supposed to be static ?

Could someone please shred some light on this please? I didn't think plusnet gave out static ips ? Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: is this supposed to be static ?

This has already been explained to you here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139099.msg
And can I suggest that you don't use this board for queries which are not related to the Community Site
Wimpywoo
Grafter

Does it not say static then ? Cause I can see its a static ip
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes your router on you internal network has a static IP. If it didn't the devices which connect to it wouldn't know where to connect. My router also has a static IP and it's the same one as yours. This works because my internal network and your internal network are not physically joined - they are two completely separate networks.
That IP is not used (in fact it is prohibited from use) on the wide area network. The IP your router uses on the wide area network (the internet) is allocated by Plusnet when your router connects to Plusnet.
When your devices communicate with a server over the internet your router translates their internal IP addresses to and from the dynamic external address.
David
Wimpywoo
Grafter

thank you that was very helpful indeed , I appreciate it very much.
dick:quote