Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this an fttc cab

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

is this an fttc cab

Can anyone offer insight. I have noticed that i seem to have 2 cabs very close to each other, one looks brand new, and concrete around base looks new. Its even got a small white sticker on it, thats not weathered at all. The other cab looks ancient. The new one (if it is new) does not look to me like a fibre cab, as there is def one going in not too far away from me, but it wont be one for my line. I have taken some pics, and i do know fibre is schedulef for 2013 on my exchange. If anyone knows i am on cab 55 on the blackburn exchange
25 REPLIES 25
AndyH
Grafter

Re: is this an fttc cab

I believe all the VDSL DSLAMs have air vent in them (similar to this)

If you go to http://fttc-check.alc.im/ and put in your postcode, it should tell you which cabinet you're likely to be connected to and the FTTC status.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thats what i thought too, and the one going in not too far from me gas vents... Odd thing is, this cab looks brand new, and there is an ancient cab only a few feet from it. I also seem to recall that when i was looking for my cab a couple of months ago, i an pretty sure there was only 1 55 marking on it. Would bt put a new normal cab in, in readyness for fttc?? If i see an openreach guy near the other cab i will ask them...
AndyH
Grafter

If there are gas vents nearby, then I'm pretty sure BT wouldn't have one installed there. The FTTC DSLAMS need a 240v power supply which is a big no no near any gas vent!
There are ways of finding out what BT are up to. If you check the planning application page of your council's website and do a search for 'openreach' or 'dslam' under the latest applications, that might give you some ideas if they have gone to the planning stage yet. You can also email nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk with your phone number/post code and they should tell you the plans and rough dates for fibre. But it takes around 4-6 weeks for them to get back to you!
BT do very little of the installations of cabinets these days. Their contractors like Carillon do the majority of the work and the BT engineers do the final connections.
They might have put in a new cabinet because of capacity issues or the old cabinet failed? It's hard to say really - do they have the same cabinet number sprayed on them?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Gas vents...... Meant to say has vents. Mobile keyboard sorry....
Thanks for advice, will email openreach.
kmilburn
Grafter

That definately looks like a non fibre cabinet.
Here's another piccy of the fibre cabinet alongside the old stlye.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yep, to me that looks like a non-fibre cabinet, but a rather new one at that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Sorry to dig this up....
When out walking earlier, I have noticed another 2 brand new looking cabs, that are the same as the other one I posted a pic of. Both are within a couple of metres of  rather old sorry looking cabs.  Again these new ones have brand new tarmac at the base etc, and have stickers on then stating CCC Cab.  I do wonder why openreach are replacing PCP cabs around here, and to be honest I have only seen 1 FTTC cab go in anywhere in my area....
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Around here where our exchange is "accepting FTTC orders" BT are physically replacing some, but not all, PCPs with new ones. In one place the old cabinet didn't appear to be in particularly bad condition. A fibre cabinet has been installed almost 100m away, I assume because it couldn't be sited close to the PCP for road safety reasons. The junction is a notorious blackspot for accidents.
David
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Could they be Cross Connection Cabinets (pillars) even though rather large ones? Anything else big going on in the Op's area?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

There are things happening. We are in line for fibre, rfs is 2013.  Just out if interest, does every pcp cab, have a fibre cab partner, or can 1 fttc cab serve a few pcp cabs?
njay
Grafter

Well I know where my green cabinet is and there is no FTTC one near it. There is a main ringroad around the housing estate and it seems like all the FTTC are near that with two next to each other. So I believe these are serving out the green cabinets located further into each cul de sac etc. That makes is about 400m gap to nearest FTTC to a very large green cab at the end of my road which is 300m from another smaller green cab about 50m from my house. So if that is true I'm about 750m away from the FTTC cab as the lines lie which is frustrating as that''s 3 sides of a square and probably only 300m from my house to FTTC walking lol

AndyH
Grafter

@ njay
Does https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say you can get fibre? If it does, what speeds (will give you an idea of distance to the cabinet)?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Just out if interest, does every pcp cab, have a fibre cab partner, or can 1 fttc cab serve a few pcp cabs?

Yes it's a "one for one" system. The fibre is routed into the new vented cabinet & then that is connected to the existing "copper" cabinet. They then usually install 2 banks of "east" (incoming)  fibre connections When the engineer comes to do your install he will disconnect your "west"  (outgoing) copper line from the existing copper "east" connection & reconnect it ot the new fibre "east" bank. This process normally takes about 20 minutes & is obviously when your telephone line & existing broadband go dead. The engineer then comes to your house to install your new master socket (if you don't already have one) & install the BTOR modem & then your router to the modem. This tends to take anything from 10-30 minutes. The offer of a cup of tea & use of the loo are normally much appreciated. Roll_eyes
ArthurDent
Grafter

Ok, so what, please, are the really small green apparently non-vented cabs which appeared in isolated positions round here about a year ago?
By isolated I mean on street corners but nowhere near a biggie?