Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ip profile updating

Aitchy
Hooked

ip profile updating

Hi All,
On Saturday my BT ip profile had dropped to 135, I noticed this quite quickly 😉
It was probably due to me messing about with my router and the connections on Friday night.  Anyway, I thought my problem, I was connected/synchronising at 7872 so I dutifully waited for BT to reset my profile which they did at some point during Saturday. I was a happy bunny again.
On Sunday whan I ran a quick test my speed was down to about 200 although my ip profile was 6500. I discovered that Plusnet now had my speed set at 250 and despite raising a ticket had to wait until today (Monday) to get a decent connection, my Plusnet speed is now back to 6500.
It always used to be BT who took ages to get the ip profile back but now it seems that they can respond quite quickly but the Plusnet copy of the profile can end up a day behind.
Just wondered if there might be a solution to this in the future.
Hope I've explained myself properly.
Regards, H.
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: ip profile updating

Welcome to the forum Aitchy.
It usually takes around 12 hours for the PN profile to update following a low sync event and subsequent recovery.
However if a Digital Care team member spots your post (Monday to Friday) they can do it quicker.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi H,
Looks like both sides are now up to date at 6500 - is this all working as such from your side of things?
itsme
Grafter

Aitchy
Hooked

Thanks for the prompt replies.
Matt, everything is working fine now thank you.
Just out of interest why do Plusnet need a copy of the profile? Other isps don't do this, do they?
H.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We're not the only one though I must admit I can't think of who the others are at the moment. The main reason for it is to ensure we don't send more data down your connection than it can handle at any given time. If we send more than the connection can handle the exchange is forced to drop packets, which can cause connection errors and congestion.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I thought the main point was for Plusnet to control the traffic priorities. If BT drop packets it's just as likely to be VOIP or streaming as P2P. If Plusnet control it they can drop the low priority traffic first.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)