cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ip profile problems.

hypnoboy
Grafter

ip profile problems.

Having contacted your call centre numerous times over the past 2 weeks due to faults, I finally had an engineer come out and replace some cabling which was faulty, the ip line profile was set at 40 meg with a call from the engineer to BT. This was confirmed by plusnet and they also set it to 40 meg. I was hitting speeds which were mostly stable at 36/37 meg down and 6/7 up. the past 48 hours. I am being shown that the profile at plusnet is set to 40. yet on the speedtest site. My profile is as follows.

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
29.01 Mbps

0 Mbps 29.85 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 29.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-29.85 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 29.85 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
5.99 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.99Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

This may not seem a lot, but the engineer told me there is NO reason why I will get below 30 meg with the distance from my home to the cabinet. This speed continuously drops to about 5 meg, and has been doing so for about the past 48 hours.
According to your faults team, someone at BT needs to reset the profile back to 40 meg as my modem is synching at 38.7 and there is no reason why I should not be getting the speed I am synching at. I was getting it before the profile was set back to 29, so can someone organise for this to be corrected.

It would be nice if the profile could be left alone, yet with a speed which is like a yoyo this is getting to be very frustrating, especially with the amount of new cabling I have had done.
Thanks
Craig
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: ip profile problems.

Your IP Profile is determined as a fixed percentage of your sync rate (96.8%, I believe).  Your sync rate is controlled by the DLM; automatic equipment in the telephone exchange.  It sets the sync rate in an attempt to achieve the best compromise between speed and stability.  If your sync rate (and hence IP Profile) keeps dropping it is because the DLM perceives your line to be unstable.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Craig,
I've had a look over your connection and can see that your speeds have fluctuated, your current sync rate is 30.8Mb/s so the speeds you're currently seeing reflect this.
Our faults team are looking over your connection and will update you as soon as they can.
hypnoboy
Grafter

Thanks Chris
The speed only dropped when the profile was reset, so if it could be pushed for a reset I'd appreciate it
As the line was very stable before the reset.
Thanks
Craig
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We have no control over the DLM automatically adjusting your profile. We do have the ability to raise this with our suppliers ti reset your line profile if needed.
Your ticket is with our faults team who will be picking this up to action.