cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent red light on Plusnet modem

JohnCT
Grafter

intermittent red light on Plusnet modem

A couple of weeks ago my broadband speed dropped from 4k+ to 1k-. after switching off for a while then back on it came back at 4K+. However since then I have been getting the dreaded red light, usually once of twice a day. I can get over this by switching off the modem then back on, however it is a PITA. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be, and how to cure it? TIA Angry
10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: intermittent red light on Plusnet modem

It looks like the connection was off most of yesterday?

I've run a few tests and I can't see any issues from here.
Which light on the router is going red?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
JohnCT
Grafter

internet
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Which router type do you have?
This might sound like a daft question but is your internet actually disconnecting when the red light comes on or is it just the red light?
The TG582n sometimes gives a red light (indicating lost connection) but remain connected, the only fault being the light has changed colour.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
JohnCT
Grafter

it is indeed the TG582n. The red Internet light alights and then everything is locked. To get out I have to switch the router of and on again, the connect using the Broadband connection (Windows 8).
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

That doesn't sound quite right.
By everything locked out do you mean you can't access the router settings page either?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
JohnCT
Grafter

Sorry, no I mean that I cannot access the internet.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

This sounds like it is possibly the Technicolor. Do you have a spare to try, or could you try this on another line to see if the issues persist?
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
JohnCT
Grafter

I will try my IIDnet router that I have kept. Of course, typically there have been no problems since I posted.However it they re-occur I will make notes of frequency then replace the route. Thanks to one and all for the help.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi John,
You mention a speed drop.  This needs looking at further.  There are a number of reasons why the internet light turns red, from it is something that router does for no discernible reason and all remains fine, through to the PPP session has dropped (by synch with the exchange has not) and cannot reconnect for some reason.  Through to synch with the exchange has been lost, which on reconnection can be at a slower speed, through to the point where it cannot be re-established.
Such situations are often caused by a marginal phone line.  Please try dialling 17070 option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the master socket.  The line should be reasonably quiet.  If it is noisy, report it to you phone provider; if it is PlusNet, you can use the phone faults link below.  Check the line for noise regularly and at times when the red light comes on.
Please gather and post the information requested on the speed issues link below.  That data can indicate if there has been a history of line problems.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JohnCT
Grafter

Wel, after peace and quiet the router has started playing up again in the same way. So I need to know how to set up my Netgear DGN100. I freely admit that I have not got a clue as to where to start.  Embarrassed