cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

in house transfer

WILT
Grafter

in house transfer

Is it possible to change from a metronet to a plusnet contract withiout having to request a MAC no from one side to give to the other side?
14 REPLIES 14
strokedriver
Dabbler

Re: in house transfer

Yes, my daughter did this last year.
Suggest you raise a ticket with Metronet.
Not applicable

Thats right, if you raise a ticket with the details of the PlusNet package you wish to move to, they should be able to sort it fairly easily.
I think you may have to sign up to a PlusNet free dial-up account first, so they have somewhere to move your details to on the PN side of the fence, but they'll confirm the actions you need to take in a response to the ticket you raise.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
This is possible, and we can arrange most of the details for you. Smiley
All you will need to do is signup a free PlusNet dial up account here, and add payment details to it. If you then raise a ticket referencing the new account and which date you want the transfer to occur we'll do the rest.
WILT
Grafter

Ok ,
    Ive created a free dial up account, Ive left a Ticket with metronet saying I wish to open a monthly phone + broadband account with plusnet 
    Question
              how do I indicate to plusnet what my choice of payment terms ,I am assuming that my time with metronet means that the £40 connection fee will be waved (I already have a wireless Home hub setup .)
                                                                    WILT
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
You need to add the payment details to the free account, by logging into the PlusNet Member Centre.
There will be no activation fee as you already have broadband, the only physical change will be to change the username in your router to reflect a PlusNet connection rather than Metronet (we have to place an order with BT Wholesale for this which takes around 24 hours to complete).
LiamM
Grafter

...and then, of course, you just need to get used to the change from paying in arrears to paying in advance.
WILT
Grafter

Thanks folks,
          I think Ive managed to feed my plastic to the wolf ,One last question -- Will the changeover date be adjusted to my Invoice transaction date with Metronet so that I will only pay the minimum i.e. approx £20 in advance for plusnet & £12 approx in areas for Metronet. ?
                                      Roll_eyes
Mand
Grafter

We can make the change whenever you like really, so if you want it to go ahead on your billing date just mention this on your ticket and we'll wait 'til then. Smiley
WILT
Grafter

Well,
        Pretty good service ,
I  have been transferred to plusnet.The helpful Girl @ Metronet told me the usual about the need for a dial up account etc and once I told her that it was in existenceshe said leave it with me .later today i received an email  that I now have a live account.
I dont know where that leaves me with regard to the Metronet billing ,perhaps someone can tell me The young lady said it would be some weeks for the phone to come over so the single phone/adsl invoicing would not happen initially.Somewhere in the conversation the point regarding the dual invoicing for Metronet/Plusnet got mislaid. I am now not sure if I will be billed for this month on Metronet.
  The other problem is I altered the login details in my 7G speedtouch( home hub) and it did not accept what I had thought was the passport I had chosen .I tried several possible alternatives to no avail. In desperation I logged onto my account
using the auto-login (my computer knows more than I do  Cry ) and I changed my password and made a note .
  I went back into the 7g and tried the new (known) password to connect to the net -- still no luck! I have had to revert to my Metronet username and password to send this message .
        Where am i going wrong??                          WILT
paulby
Grafter

Did the mail say that your ADSL was active? 
If it did, try again today as BT probably wouldn't have added the @plusdsl.net realm to your line in that short timespan yesterday. 
Someone from PN should be able to advise as to when the realm will be / should have been added.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

WILT, I might be missing the obvious but I can't see reference to your PlusNet username on your Metronet account. If you can PM me the details then I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can spot anything untoward.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

WILT
Grafter

Hi'
             Here is the email I received,

Dear William leonard Thornton,
Congratulations, your broadband has been activated. It's time to get connected!
1. Have you moved your broadband from another ISP?
2. Connecting to broadband for the first time?
3. Are you now online?
4. If you still have problems
5. Setting up email software
6. Welcome to the Member Centre
7. Recommend PlusNet and get cash in your pocket!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Have you moved your broadband from another ISP?
If you've moved your service from another ISP, your hardware will already have most of the correct settings to let you connect to the Internet.
You should just need to update your username and password:

Settings to change:
Broadband username:  <removed>@plusdsl.net
Note: this is not your account username!
The account username is before the @ symbol, but you must enter the full username as shown above for your broadband connection to work.
Password:  this is the password you chose during signup

If you are using a modem, reconnect to the Internet. If you are using a router, this should reset once you have saved and applied your new settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Connecting to broadband for the first time?
If you've not connected to broadband before you'll need to set your system up.
1) Each phone socket that is being used in your house (i.e. with something plugged into it) needs a microfilter. Plug one into each socket, (making sure you don't add more than one to each socket) - if you're using an extension cable, you don't need a filter at each end. If you're using a phone splitter, put the filter before the splitter - don't use one on each of the split sockets.
2) If you are using a modem or router, make sure you have installed this following the instruction manual that came with it.
3) The next step is to configure your modem or router to connect to PlusNet. You can see common broadband connection settings below. To get more specific help, refer to the manual that was supplied with your hardware:

Broadband settings:
Broadband username:  <removed>@plusdsl.net
Note: this is not just your account username!
The account username is before the @ symbol, but you must enter the full username as shown above for your broadband connection to work.
Password:  this is the password you chose during signup

Default broadband settings: 
Virtual Path Identifier (VPI):  0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI):  38
Encapsulation:  PPPoA (also called PPPoATM or RFC2364)
PPP Properties:  VC-Mux (also called VC based)
Note: All other settings can typically use their default values
Need more setup help?
If you need more information about how to fit your microfilters or configure your modem or router, read the welcome pack accompanying this email. It gives you easy-to-follow setup information as well as hints, tips and ways you can get the most out of your new PlusNet broadband service.

3. Are you now online?
Hopefully after following the steps above, your PlusNet broadband service should now be able to connect to the Internet.
However, if your connection isn't working yet, have a look at the checklist below:
Is the username for your connection missing @plusdsl.net from the end? Usernames for broadband will always resemble an email address in this way, they are never just your account username.
Is your modem incorrectly installed? Try uninstalling and reinstalling this.
Are your cables connected properly? Make sure all your cables are plugged in securely. Also check that all phone sockets in use in your house have microfilters attached. If you don't have enough microfilters, you can always unplug a phone extension to see if this is causing your problems.

4. If you still have problems
The most common broadband problems are as follows:
1. Username and password problems - (known as an 'authentication issue'). This is generally down to the wrong username and/or password being used, but can be service-related.
2. No broadband signal is showing on your telephone line.
Most modems and routers will have a light labeled either 'DSL', 'Link' or 'Showtime'. This will be solid green if there is a broadband signal available on your telephone line. If this light is flashing or completely off, try unplugging all equipment connected to your telephone line except your modem/router and see if this helps.
If it doesn't, try connecting your modem/router into the main telephone socket in your property. This is the first telephone socket which your telephone line is wired into after the line enters your property. (Note: our Support Team will ask you to do this, so trying it before getting in touch with us will help your call be dealt with quickly and efficiently).
3. Your broadband service works, but only intermittently.
Do you find that you occasionally lose your connection or can't connect to the Internet for a period of time? This is usually caused by problems with microfilters or wiring in your property. Try connecting your modem/router to the main telephone socket, to make sure the problem is not caused by internal issues.
If you are still having problems you can contact our friendly Support Team. They are available 24 hours a day on the following numbers:
Geographical support number: 0114 296 5198
Lo-call rate support number: 0845 1400200
Please note: Before you ring us make sure you have done the following, to help speed up your enquiry:
Get your username ready to confirm your account details.
Make sure you know your account password to pass our security checks.
Know the make and model of the modem/router you are using.
If you have access to another Internet connection (perhaps a friend or colleague's connection?), the following links provide helpful information:
If we've supplied your hardware, we provide online instructions for hardware configuration.
Read step-by-step installation instructions in our Broadband Setup Guide.

5. Setting up email software
Once you've successfully connected, the next step we'd suggest is to get your new PlusNet email working so you can send and receive messages.
By default, you get 2 email addresses:
1. Your main mailbox - with the address you chose during the signup process.
2. An alias, or nickname, of 'Postmaster' - email to this address is directed into your main mailbox.
We have easy-to-follow online setup guides available for the most common email software. Choose yours from the list below:

Outlook Express Setup Guide Mac Mail Setup Guide
Outlook Setup Guide Thunderbird Setup Guide
Windows Mail Setup Guide Entourage Setup Guide

6. Welcome to the Member Centre
Manage your entire account online!
The Member Centre gives you the power to control your email, security, payment details and webspace easily and quickly - right around the clock.
This is also the place to head for PlusNet announcements, account news, competitions and polls. You'll find a massive amount of online help in our comprehensive Help & Support section too.

Username: <removed>
Password: this is the password you chose during signup 

7. Recommend PlusNet and get cash in your pocket!
Tell your friends, family or colleagues about PlusNet and we'll discount your subscription for each person who signs up for one of our subscription services. If you refer enough people you could end up with free broadband or even generate a monthly profit. There's no limit to how much you can earn, so tell as many people as you like!
How to make a recommendation
Get started today! You just have to tell your friends your username, and when they sign up they need to enter it on the signup form, so that we can give you your reward.
To find out more see our My Referrals guide.

Kind regards,
PlusNet Customer Support
http://www.plus.net

You can control your
account online at the
PlusNet
Member Centre.

Join our lively
Community Site!

Get help and support
online - 24/7.

This email has been sent as it contains important information about your service from PlusNet. Please do not reply to this email, as this is an unmonitored address.
Email ref: E0090
Username: <removed>

© PlusNet plc. All Rights Reserved. E&OE
PlusNet plc
Registered Office: Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
Registered in England no: 3279013

Moderators Note by Roger (rogerloxton): removed username  to protect your account details a little more. Wink

WILT
Grafter

I have just tried again and VOILA I am on line with plusnet .Ignore my previous posting  I am on the forum " legally " at last !
                                                  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
WILT
Grafter

Even more good news ,just  done a speed check 1.3Mb /s  more than double !
              results here :-
  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/120484601478794427570.html